• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Fast Food Appreciation Thread

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
Went to five guys with my parents. We decided to split some fries. Since we were noobs, we ordered a large fry and a regular cajun fries. When got a massive brown sack filled with fries we realized we had made a mistake. Insane how much they give you

+100

after they fill your fries container they dump another boatload into the paper bag.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
are the fries any good though? if they're not good, an extra bag of them is near useless.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
google image search of five guys shows me that five guys can't be anything special, at all. It's like the very sheltered in America just discovered pickled jalapeno rings on burgers and they have a new god.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a decent fast food burger. So yeah, not anything special really. It's only good instore also. They wrap the thing in foil so the burger gets steamed and extra messy by time you get home if you take it to go.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the fries are pretty good. nothing mind boggling. they're idaho potatoes twice fried in peanut oil. crunch good creamy texture inside. it's not like handcut fries fried in duck fat

dude how can you honestly judge a burger from pictures you found on google image. i feel like the only thing you can give it a ding on is the somewhat thin patties that are well done. still quite juicy imo.

again not mind boggling, but if you've never been exposed to good burgers five guys is a good first exposure

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
are the fries any good though? if they're not good, an extra bag of them is near useless.

I like the cajun fries more than the burger. The fries + vinegar = great.

I think people love Five Guys just because they offer a bunch of toppings, which supposedly make the burger "better."

I wasn't too impressed by the burger, tbh.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
It's a decent fast food burger. So yeah, not anything special really. It's only good instore also. They wrap the thing in foil so the burger gets steamed and extra messy by time you get home if you take it to go.
+1. same with the fries as they get steamed in the cup

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fried+chicken+close+up.JPG

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
ChickFila is so played out. My home is just south of Atl and anytime you go to an event, or someone has food for a meeting, or anything where 'they' provide lunch its ChickFila. You get a bag with a lukewarm regular chicken sandwich, and a tiny box of fries. The food is usually at least 30-45 minutes old.

When I'm working down here where the food sucks, I stop at subway for a subpar sandwich.

I travel about 3 weeks out of a month. In NYC, I will eat White Castle rarely. Obviously, much better places to eat for lunch in NY.

I hate Wendys with a passion because they have the coldest bun and it seems stale. I haven't been there in years.

If you are poor, Taco Bell and Popeyes are probably the best bang for your buck. You should see the poor black people of southwest Atl lined up at this run down Popeyes in a rough area.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
dude how can you honestly judge a burger from pictures you found on google image. i feel like the only thing you can give it a ding on is the somewhat thin patties that are well done. still quite juicy imo.

Well, I've tried virtually every other burger in America in that bracket, and I know they're not doing anything special to the buns, nor is there anything you can feasibly do to put you head and shoulders above anyone else without the thing looking significantly different, so it's not hard to imagine:

proprietary stock image, looks good of course:
five-guys.jpg

flickr photo of the real deal (tbh, this looks pathetic, you can go into a sonic, a steak and shake, a burger king, and get something that is gonna taste similar, and look the same but so much better)
2046694947_274f8ab6c2.jpg

for reference, compare to $10 burger from japan (this is a user-side flickr photo as well, fwiw) - you can kind of tell what this thing is gonna taste like, no?
4196489216_56ab5ce2dc.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
also, fwiw, in Japan and Korea many of the fast food chains from America do American fast food better, because they work slow as **** and don't have a drive-through to feed, so they'll make your burger to order, drop the fries and bring them out to you in the dining room 3 minutes later - it's kind of annoying but at least the food is piping hot and the sandwiches in your hands look reasonably like they do on the menu. had a drunk revelation in Ebisu at like 4am with a Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich, it was picture perfect, the tomato was awesome, the lettuce was perfect and blemish-free, the patty was piping hot and seemed safe to eat, the mayonnaise was kewpie, the fries were hot as hell, perfect.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well yes i can tell teh difference.

the $10 one is sitting on a plate looking very nice. the $5 one is in a foil wrapper looking all steamed and messy.

fwiw when you come to the states in the summer is suggest you try a five guys and then a burger from sonic or burger king and you tell me which is better.

honestly no comparison.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like fast food does burgers does the worst of any of their offerings. It's such a democratic food with typically cheap ingredients that getting a solid one from a real restaurant won't cost but $2-3 more than from one of the higher end fast food joints. I had a bacon cheeseburger with grassfed beef and real cheese and duck fat fries for $10.50 last week; deciding between that and Five guys is no choice at all in my book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads