• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I lost 100 lbs

razuel

Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone who commented on my previous thread here,
http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=42764
Your comments have really inspired me to push even harder.

I've gotten a lot of requests for more information and I've been emailing people this big long writeup I did for this transformation contest that I won. I got a request to post it on the forum, so I'm going to edit it for this forum and put it here. It's very long, but covers my diet, workout, and tons of advice/suggestions for everyone. To those of you who I have already emailed with this, I've added quite a bit of stuff.

Here are the pictures again (with one new one), I also have a shirtless one available if you PM me, don't really want to post it for the whole world to see.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9645/55534062ud8.jpg
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8070/58324653eg8.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5066/49497091ir4.jpg (I know I know, mall brand-- my style steadily got better too)

------
Stats
----------

Weight before - 300
Weight after - 195

Blood pressure before - 170/90
Blood pressure after - 115/75

Waist before - 40
Waist after - 31/32

Max bench before - 115 x 8
Max bench after - 165 x 8 (yes, I actually got stronger while losing weight!)

Why I got started
------------------
As a kid I was always a little chubby because I ate so horribly, but was very active outdoors and in sports so it was never much of an issue. Come high school, I became terribly addicted to computer games and spent all day long sitting in a chair and eating mindlessly. I quit playing sports, stopped hanging out with friends, and before I knew it ballooned up to 300 pounds. I never even realized just how fat I was. It wasn't until I met a certain girl that I knew I had to change myself if I ever wanted a chance to be with her or any woman that I wanted for that matter. I had always dreamed of being that guy that got girls, but it was only a dream at the time.

On top of wanting to be more attractive to the opposite sex, my blood pressure sky rocketed and I was put on blood pressure medication. It was expensive and dangerous. It was near the end of my senior year in high school and I didn't want to go to college a fat pig; I knew it was time to get started.

How I did it
--------------
It all started on a stationary bike my dad bought me in my basement. I started out with 10-15 minutes a day and worked my way up to 45 minutes.
Eventually I joined the YMCA that my dad was already a member of and began lifting weights. After some time I added jogging on the treadmill to my routine and discovered HIIT soon after. HIIT really pushed me forward fast, it was very beneficial to my fat loss.

More about HIIT from pm with someone--

I like to do HIIT in the afternoon, that's when your muscles have the most energy. HIIT is very taxing on your body and should be treated as a weight training workout. Never do it on an empty stomach, your muscles need energy to push you to your max. Eat a well balanced meal an hour before your HIIT workout consisted of slow burning carbs, protein, and little fat. If you can't get a meal in first, eat a fast burning carb source 15 minutes before doing it; like a banana. The idea behind HIIT isn't to burn calories during it, but to boost your metabolism so that you keep burning calories for up to 24 hours after you're done; much like weight lifting.
In the beginning my diet simply consisted of what I considered healthy, which I found later consisted of far too many carbs and not nearly enough protein; and in turn not enough calories. Thanks to the internet I was able to do research and gain a great deal of knowledge on what foods to eat, when to eat them, etc.. I owe a great deal of credit to the internet for my success. If not for the information I found on various web sites, it would have either taken much longer or I would have lost my way and never made it this far.

Next to motivation, knowledge is your most useful tool in your transformation. I found out how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight and then kept track of everything that I put into my body.
There are great web sites online like fitday.com to help you keep track of this.

I also made sure to take a progress picture every month or so. I'd compare it to my previous photo and use that as motivation to keep going. The entire transformation took a little over a year.

What supplements I took
--------------------------
In the beginning the only supplement I took was whey protein. I can't stress enough how beneficial whey protein is. It's high quality protein in powder form so it can easily be mixed into shakes and drank. Two scoops and you have 40 of your daily protein grams right away. It comes in great tasting flavors and is fairly cheap. But be careful not to rely on it too much. The majority of your calories should come from natural foods. It's called a supplement for a reason.

Eventually I decided to get some cellmass creatine. This was very beneficial to maintain the muscle I had. In my stats you'll notice I did gain strength, but the vast majority of it was newbie gains. After my newbie gains I did increase strength a little still, but I was maintaining mostly.

I tried fat burners like melting point, but didn't see enough results to stay on it. I also tried lipo 6 and did notice some change, but caffeine did the same thing pretty much. I drank a lot of black coffee and put coffee grains in my protein shakes to help boost my metabolism.

I also drank a lot of green tea (3+ cups a day), took NOW fish oil pills, and an NOW adam multi vitamin. Green tea and fish oil are very beneficial for many things, read up on them.

I use whatever whey I can get my hands on now, but have found that ON 100% chocolate whey tastes the best. I've also used NOW's chocolate whey, but hated the taste. But it is an all natural whey, which is nice.

I took syntrax matrix 5.0 chocolate casein protein before bed too.

Sample diet
-------------
I'm a very picky eater, so the foods I came up with were very geared towards my plain tastes.

8 am - cup of black coffee, 2 egg whites + 1 full egg (scrambled and put into a whole wheat tortilla that I cooked on the skillet with olive oil),
1/2 cup of fat free cheddar cheese, crushed red pepper, 1 cup of skim milk, piece of 85% cocoa dark chocolate

10:30 am - piece of flax seed bread with 1/2 cup of fat free cheddar cheese baked in the oven

12:00 pm - scoop of creatine in water, post workout shake: 2 scoops of chocolate whey, 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter, half a banana, 1 cup of skim milk, crushed iced, and instant coffee grains

3:00 pm - homemade healthy pizza: 2 whole wheat pitas with fat free mozzarella cheese, a little bit of sauce, and turkey pepperoni on top of it baked in the oven

6:30 pm - 6 oz of lean steak and a couple cups of raw spinach

9:30 pm - before bed protein shake: 1 scoop of casein protein and 1 cup of skim milk

Throughout the day I took my vitamins, fish oil, and drank lots of water and hot green tea. You'll notice that I eat little to no carbs after 5 pm or so; this is because all of my energy expenditure is more or less over with for the day so those carbs would be stored as fat. Of course, with all the different methods I used to boost my metabolism from caffeine and eating 6 small meals a day to HIIT and weight lifting-- I should be burning all day and night long. But to play it safe, eat proteins and fats at night only. You'll notice I had casein protein before bed. There are two types of protein, whey protein and casein. Whey absorbs fast (best for right after your workout so it gets to your muscles quickly) and casein absorbs slow (best in morning for steady supply throughout the day or at night to feed your muscles while you sleep). Casein protein is found in dairy products like milk and cottage cheese. You can also buy casein protein powders.

The idea behind this diet is to supply my body with a steady stream of protein, slow burning carbs (whole wheat), and healthy fats. This ensures that my muscles get all the protein they need to repair themselves throughout the day from my weight training sessions. It's important to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So a 200 pound person should get 200 grams of protein a day. A good place to start with your diet is 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% healthy fats. This means on a 2,000 calorie diet, 800 calories would come from protein, 800 from carbs, and 400 from fats. To figure out how many calories you should consume a day, there are calculators that can help you estimate like this one here,

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

A good general rule is to find out how many calories you need to maintain weight and subtract 500 from that to lose weight or add 500 to gain weight. If you're trying to add on muscle, it would be beneficial to up your protein intake to 1.5-2 grams per pound of body weight.

In short, you need to become a calorie counter. Keep track of everything.. fitday.com can help immensely with this. How much you eat is important, but what you eat is more important. You need to eat the right foods. Research. Google is your friend. Bodybuilding.com has a huge archive of articles on nutrition that you should begin reading immediately! Also, make sure to read labels. Look for protein rich foods with little fat. When buying breads or other wheat products, read the ingredients and look for 100% whole wheat as the first ingredient. Companies like to try and trick you by calling it 100% whole wheat on the title, but the actual ingredient is stone ground wheat or something like that. Don't be fooled. Healthy omega 3 fats are great. Fats from nuts like almonds, walnuts, and fats from fish, NATURAL peanutbutter, olive oil, etc.. are great healthy fats.

Sample workout
---------------
My program changed a lot depending on my schedule. I tried to change my program every few months to keep my muscles guessing too. I've done 3 day splits, upper/lower body splits, and full body splits.

I like full body splits for cutting because it tears a lot of muscle down at once and really promotes fat loss in recovery and releases a lot of testosterone. My goal when cutting wasn't to build muscle, it was to burn calories. By pushing my entire body as hard as I could, I maintained muscle and burned a ton of calories throughout the week. I'm a big advocate of compound movements that require many muscles in your body to work at once.

A sample week of my current (full body split) consists of--

*reps per set listed after exercise

Monday - bench press (8, 6), dips (10, 8), dumbbell shoulder presses (8, 6), lateral raises (8, 6), bent over barbell rows (8, 6), pull ups (until failure), squats (10, 8, 6), dead lifts (10, 8, 6)

10 minutes of HIIT after weights

Tuesday - leg raises, decline sit ups with weight resistance, and hyper extensions. Sets vary depending on how I'm feeling about my core workout.

10 minutes of HIIT followed by 20 minutes of moderate jogging or elliptical machine cardio after ab/lower back workout

Wednesday - repeat Monday

Thursday - repeat Tuesday

Friday - repeat Monday

Saturday and Sunday I either rest 100% or do cardio if I'm up to it. Keep in mind that I had a lot of fat to spare so this amount of cardio is acceptable. Without a lot of excess fat stores, too much cardio will burn much needed muscle mass. I was also blessed with great genetics with my muscles.

Note: I don't like to isolate my biceps.. They get worked plenty through other exercises I do. I change up what exercise I do for my shoulders and chest throughout the week to keep my muscles guessing.

Suggestions for others
------------------------

My dream of being 'that guy who could get women' has come true.
Losing this weight has changed my life in so many ways. Most importantly my health is better, my confidence sky rocketed, girls find me attractive, and I have a better outlook on life in general. I'm a much harder worker in all aspects of my life now. I have more energy and have a much better relationship with my friends and family because of it.

More important than any other piece of advice I can give is to get started.
It doesn't matter what you do to start, just start. You don't have to wait until you get that gym membership, or wait until after the holiday, or wait until you move to your new house. Just get off your ass and do something with your body. Get it moving. At the end of the day you're either going to look back and say 'I could have done this' or you're going to say 'I did this'. Take nike's slogan to heart, just do it.

Don't lose faith. The task ahead of you may seem huge and there may be times when you don't see any results at all, but you need to keep at it.
One day I was 300 pounds, then all of a sudden I was 195. I thought I'd never be able to do it, but I just kept pushing myself day in and day out and picking myself back up when I fell down-- before I knew it I had done it.

Motivation is huge. Find that one thing that's going to get you through your workout and think about it throughout the whole workout. Whether it's the woman you want, the body you want, or the lifestyle you want; just keep picturing it in your head.

Motivation can only take a person so far. There's a point where it needs to become routine. Don't think about working out, just do it. Don't think about whether you want to have a candy bar or a chicken breast, just eat the damn chicken breast. It needs to become implanted into your brain so that the cravings don't become an issue. It's not a temporary thing, it's a lifestyle change. You need to change the way you think completely otherwise when you're done you'll go right back to where you started. It's not just a diet, it has to become your lifestyle. Learn to love it. Learn to make healthy foods that you can tolerate. Experiement with things, search the grocery stores.

When you do mess up, don't let it be the end of your world. I fell off the wagon more times than I can count. In the beginning I'd eat a horrible meal and it'd mess up the rest of the day, which in turn messed up the rest of the week. Over time the amount of time it took to recover became less and less until it got to the point where a cheat meal wasn't an issue. If I wanted to eat a burger and fries I'd eat it, because later that day I'd be back on track and I wouldn't miss any workouts. I tried being 100% perfect with my diet all the time, but that's not practical for most people. You have to train yourself to be okay with messing up sometimes and getting back on track when you do cheat a little.

As I said before, knowledge is one of your best weapons. Educate yourself on what exercises to do, when to do them, what foods to eat, when to eat them, etc. I spent all of my free time on web sites just reading and learning as much as possible. It's not just a tool to help your diet and workouts, by enveloping yourself within this healthy mindset, you're more likely to keep at it. Rather than sitting around watching tv and thinking about junk food, I would read various articles and think about my next workout. Let it consume your mind, at least long enough to get yourself going. I obsessed over health for a long time to make sure that I didn't lose sight of my goal.

Which brings me to my next piece of advice. Make goals. Don't just workout blindly, have a goal in mind. Have something that you're working for. Make it something short term that you can obtain. Trying to lose 2 pounds a week is a great goal to work towards. Knowing that you're going to step on that scale in a week and want to see it 2 pounds less is a great piece of motivation to help you push yourself further.

Stay active. Your workouts and diet are obviously very important, but being active throughout the day will help an immense amount. Take the stairs at the mall instead of the escalator. Take the long walk home. Go outside and play a game of basketball with your friend. Take your dog for a walk. You get the idea, just keep your body moving.

That's it for now! Stay strong. Keep your mind focused. And don't give up. Before you know it, you'll be writing your success story. Let me know if anyone has any questions, more than happy to help. Right now I'm working on putting on muscle, so I have a lot of knowledge on that as well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
wow. this will be a nice read later on.

Agreed. Congratulations and thank you for taking the time to do this valuable post.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Bravo dude, Bravo...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, that's awesome razuel. congrats! if you keep this up, i wouldn't be surprised if you add a good 5 years to your life.

and now i have someplace to start for my own weight loss research (still trying to fit in those 34 RRLs!).

-Jeff

chanimal

Reaction score
really cool post....im actually looking to lose a little myself, right now im about 235 pounds, 6'3 so maybe 30-50 lbs im thinking......is there any site i can learn more about HIIT thx

razuel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chanimal
really cool post....im actually looking to lose a little myself, right now im about 235 pounds, 6'3 so maybe 30-50 lbs im thinking......is there any site i can learn more about HIIT thx

Google it and you should find a ton of info. It's high intensity interval training, google HIIT though

thirteenth

Reaction score
I am very inspired.

I PMed the original poster asking for advice but thought I'd post it here as well.

Here is what I've been doing for about a year now, with painfully slow progress:

DIET
===

7:00am Pre-workout Maximuscle cyclone (creatine + protein shake) - 250 cals

7:30-8:30am (Tue, Thu and Sat only) - one hour at the gym with personal trainer (10 min cardio, 40 min weights, 10 min stretching). Minimal gain in strength or size.

8:30am Post-workout Maximuscle cyclone (creatine + protein shake) - 250 cals

9:30am Breakfast at office (fruit smoothie - mixed berries, banana, mango blended with orange juice), scrambled eggs, one piece of fried sausage

12:00pm Japanese food (raw salmon and tuna over a bed of rice), probably 700 calories

3:00pm A slice of cake, or a croissant, a multivitamin, omega 3/6/9

6:00pm Noodle soup or beef w/rice dinner

I am 5' 9", weighing 75kg (165 pounds). Have a gut, high body fat, no definition. In other words, a miserable failure!

Something is wrong? Life is unfair?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
See a dietician and stop eating white rice.

It doesn't matter what you're doing if you aren't at a negative caloric intake each day, you won't lose any weight.

razuel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thirteenth
I am very inspired. I PMed the original poster asking for advice but thought I'd post it here as well. Here is what I've been doing for about a year now, with painfully slow progress: DIET === 7:00am Pre-workout Maximuscle cyclone (creatine + protein shake) - 250 cals 7:30-8:30am (Tue, Thu and Sat only) - one hour at the gym with personal trainer (10 min cardio, 40 min weights, 10 min stretching). Minimal gain in strength or size. 8:30am Post-workout Maximuscle cyclone (creatine + protein shake) - 250 cals 9:30am Breakfast at office (fruit smoothie - mixed berries, banana, mango blended with orange juice), scrambled eggs, one piece of fried sausage 12:00pm Japanese food (raw salmon and tuna over a bed of rice), probably 700 calories 3:00pm A slice of cake, or a croissant, a multivitamin, omega 3/6/9 6:00pm Noodle soup or beef w/rice dinner I am 5' 9", weighing 75kg (165 pounds). Have a gut, high body fat, no definition. In other words, a miserable failure! Something is wrong? Life is unfair?
Eason is right. Here was my response to him I sent in PM----- Well I'd need more details about your workout program to critique that. But as far as your diet goes-- it looks like you're getting far too many simple carbs. Simple carbs are white carbs or sugars. Your croissant or cake, rice (unless it's brown), and fruit (too many servings, keep it minimal when trying to lose weight) are all simple carbs. Fruit is healthy obviously, but as I said keep it minimal. It looks to me that you don't have any slow burning fiberous carbs. You need to add some-- like oats, whole wheat breads, and brown rice. Simple carbs should only be consumed for three reasons-- a once a week cheat, to give you a boost of energy for your workout, or to help the absorbtion rate of your whey protein after your workout. Unless those simple carbs are burned instantly for energy (i.e. working out) then they'll be stored as fat. With slow burning or low glycemic index carbs they provide a steady source of energy throughout the day and are, obviously, burned slowly. Focus on lean proteins as the main source of calories for every meal complimented with a healthy carb and healthy fat (or count the fat in the protein if it's not very lean). Looks like you need some veggies too. It's possible that you're getting too many calories too, you'll want to count your calories and figure out how many you should be getting with the calculator I posted in the thread.

razuel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Do you happen to know what your body fat % was before and after?

It was between 30 and 35% before. Now it's somewhere between 15 and 20, I don't know exactly.

Originally Posted by shoe
you should be a motivational speaker or spokesperson for health lifestyle changes and fitness.

I wouldn't mind that actually; if my current career becomes stale maybe I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by chanimal
cool.........http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

is this something similar to what you did ??? thx

More or less, yeah. As long as you do intense intervals that should do the trick. I kept mine very simple, 30 seconds pushing as hard as I could at max resist on elliptical followed by 1 minute of recovery (slow down) and then push hard again for 30 seconds and so on for 10 minutes or so.

The idea is to raise your heart rate very high for 30-60 seconds and then lower it with rest and then push it back up again... over and over to trick your body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads