• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I lost 100 lbs

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by repressedm
I am 5'11, 185. I am visually overweight in my gut. How many hours should I exercise per day?

in this same situation, 5'8 152 lbs. thinking about getting a PT to put me on the right track in terms of the kinds of exercises i should be doing. i probably need diet changes too, but i'm wondering how to go about that since i'm fine with my waist size i just want to overall tone.

i lost about 40 pounds in college, went from 180 to 150. now i just need to tone what i've got.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
There's a big debate about whether CEE has higher bioavailability than creatine monohydrate. In any case, I typically supplement about 20-25g/day of CEE during lifting days at the moment, a bit more during bulking than my current cutting phase. Some people say that only about 10g of CEE is necessary as opposed to 20-30g of CMH but I'm not sure that I buy that.
There is no argument. CEE degrades to creatinine in stomach acid, it is impossible after that happens for it be more "available" to muscles than monohydrate. There is marketing, and there is reality. CEE is more expensive, tastes horrible and performs worse than the old standard.
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
i havent really read through this thread but for some seriously quality working out/ getting lean goto www.bodybuilding.com the forums and stuff are really good.
Ignore the forums, read the articles. The only remotely "okay" forum for exercise outside of niche forums is tnation.
I am 5'11, 185. I am visually overweight in my gut. How many hours should I exercise per day?
It's not about how long you exercise, it's about what you do. If at that height and that weight you are holding significant excess fat in your stomach, without seeing pictures, I'll assume that you consider yourself skinny everywhere else? Read this, memorize it, then read this, then use this as a reference, then start this or this.
Also, is it really good to drink lots of coffee each day, as the OP suggested?
Caffeine is a drug. Caffeine tends to **** with sleeping habits. Caffeine is a tool. You do not need caffeine to lose weight, you do not need caffeine to have energy to work-out. It is your choice.
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
in this same situation, 5'8 152 lbs. thinking about getting a PT to put me on the right track in terms of the kinds of exercises i should be doing. i probably need diet changes too, but i'm wondering how to go about that since i'm fine with my waist size i just want to overall tone. i lost about 40 pounds in college, went from 180 to 150. now i just need to tone what i've got.
I am going to quote something I wrote on another forum for an FAQ a while back so you will stop using the word tone incorrectly.
When people say they want to get "toned", they mean they want to lose bodyfat or gain muscle. Toned is referring to muscle tone, and you only see muscle tone if you A) have any appreciable muscle mass, B) don't have layers of fat over that appreciable muscle mass. To "tone" is way of saying you simply want to increase the visibility of your musculature. Stop using this word incorrectly, it drives everyone insane.
Everything I said the guy above you should read and do applies to you as well.

spence

Reaction score
I think most anyone could benefit from a simple schedule of regular exercise, eating more lean protien, whole grains and veggies, and less beer
frown.gif

While I completely agree that strength training is important to weight loss, I've dropped 35 pounds this spring while doing almost all cardio and drinking a ton of beer. I don't think I've lost much lean mass, but I have lost a bit.

My hat is off to the 100 pound drop, that's most excellent. Now keep it off and enjoy your new body!

-spence

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

razuel

Reaction score
Didn't realize there were new posts here :O

Someone mentioned the difficulty of maintaining in the picture thread. Maintenance is definitely hard-- I think that 6 month thing is true. Thankfully I've maintained, but it was difficult.

About coffee-- as another poster said, it's up to you. It's definitely not needed and can be addicting, but if you can handle it and use it properly, it can be a big help. Coffee alone has zero calories, it's the sugar and cream that people add that makes it bad for you really. I drink it black in the morning to get a kick start and rev up my metabolism-- then throw some instant coffee grains into my post-workout shake to help muscle soreness and keep the metabolism going. I also workout pretty hard, so all that energy gets used up (so to speak). If you're pretty sedentary it's not a good idea to be strung up on caffeine.

Since it's been almost a year since I posted this and pictures, here are some updated progress pictures--

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4532/fl1gz6.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4611/fl2ur2.jpg
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7410/fl3mj7.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5648/fl4jq2.jpg

Old hairstyle at this point, but whatever. It's a style forum, so thought I'd include some more style transformation as well.

fudgebutt

Reaction score
That is nothing short of amazing... you must feel incredible after such a massive change. Good work man.

Originally Posted by razuel
Didn't realize there were new posts here :O

Someone mentioned the difficulty of maintaining in the picture thread. Maintenance is definitely hard-- I think that 6 month thing is true. Thankfully I've maintained, but it was difficult.

About coffee-- as another poster said, it's up to you. It's definitely not needed and can be addicting, but if you can handle it and use it properly, it can be a big help. Coffee alone has zero calories, it's the sugar and cream that people add that makes it bad for you really. I drink it black in the morning to get a kick start and rev up my metabolism-- then throw some instant coffee grains into my post-workout shake to help muscle soreness and keep the metabolism going. I also workout pretty hard, so all that energy gets used up (so to speak). If you're pretty sedentary it's not a good idea to be strung up on caffeine.

Since it's been almost a year since I posted this and pictures, here are some updated progress pictures--

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4532/fl1gz6.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4611/fl2ur2.jpg
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7410/fl3mj7.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5648/fl4jq2.jpg

Old hairstyle at this point, but whatever. It's a style forum, so thought I'd include some more style transformation as well.

gypsybell

Reaction score
Damn, love your red hair, love your new healthier look... and love your taste in clothes and home decor. You must be on top of the world now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads