• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge: MC does SW&D - YOUR WINNER ANNOUNCED

G0079

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Don't they already?
lol8[1].gif

Star Trek does MC

TNGS3D6-1.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Your fit was decent and better than a lot that gets posted on this side of the board- except the jeans looked a bit lacking. I would also assume you're a bit older and that matters when judging. If you had SW&D cred you would be getting a lot more compliments.

Thanks, NorCal. And I thought the jeans were a safe bet... 39, btw.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I might also mention that too many MCers wear their pants too short in a vain attempt at hewing to the "rules" and end up looking like stumpy the dumpy. It really depends the build and the overall look. Even Flusser (sp?) suggests a heavy break at times and he is about as old school rules as you can get.

Even on this board and within the population of people who believe in adherence to "timeless rules", this has evolved considerably since 2002, when we started this thing. In the early years, the full break was the norm, and the halfbreak was seen as sort of Italian and extra stylish. The quarter or no-break was a relatively recent thing. And if you don't think that this has anything to do with recent runway trends, you haven't been watching the runway trends. Even Manton is getting (relatively) slim suit. The changes in tailored clothing are fairly subtle from season to season, but anyone who works in that industry will tell you that the patterns are constantly changing, and no-one is truly immune to the zeitgeist.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
Lol at in mc comment, you all look like stuffy old asses who get rejected on club lines.

We generally go to the kind of clubs where we pay in advance for membership. I can't tell you the last time I waited in line to be chosen to go into a club. Probably when I lived on South Beach in 1992.

Wow, lamest comeback of all time. You realize that this makes you sound super-douchey, right? Also, it's like saying that you can get the best girls because you can hire the highest class hookers. Congratulations.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I think luftvier wins the gold medal for most insecure SFer, as well as a special booby prize for repeating the moronic dogma that the 'elements of style' are timeless when all you can do when looking at him is wonder why he's dressed up as an extra from Boardwalk Empire.
-1, the dude wore a death metal get up...c'mon now. He's also a lawyer. I think both sides need to take into perspective where they each spend most of their days. Cause I'm a teacher, I can get away with some **** that a lot of the guys over there can't, so I can kind of play both sides. I wore my fit to work Friday...as for SW&D guys, I'd be willing to bet most are under 30, and work in a creative field (if they work at all).
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
nothing is timeless, dude. you guys look like you're trapped in the past for the most part, and will continue to look so in 10/20/30 years
-1. White OCBD, Levis 501, Converse, Alden LWB, Stan Smiths, Repp Tie, Navy Blazer
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
02168M033002_1_1.jpg
good pant stack

+1 I like this, looks cool. I don't think I could pull it off, but I still think it looks cool...and this is where I think a lot of MCers fail...too many judge a look pass or fail on whether or not they would look good in it, and can't see it objectively.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Even on this board and within the population of people who believe in adherence to "timeless rules", this has evolved considerably since 2002, when we started this thing. In the early years, the full break was the norm, and the halfbreak was seen as sort of Italian and extra stylish. The quarter or no-break was a relatively recent thing. And if you don't think that this has anything to do with recent runway trends, you haven't been watching the runway trends. Even Manton is getting (relatively) slim suit. The changes in tailored clothing are fairly subtle from season to season, but anyone who works in that industry will tell you that the patterns are constantly changing, and no-one is truly immune to the zeitgeist. Wow, lamest comeback of all time. You realize that this makes you sound super-douchey, right? Also, it's like saying that you can get the best girls because you can hire the highest class hookers. Congratulations.
+.5 to the first part, even if its slight, there are always going to be noticeable differences in the trends of tailored clothing, even classically tailored clothing. Looking through BB catalogues is a clear example of this. As conservative as they are, they've really come foward with their product the last few years. however, some things are the same, like their OCBDs, but their suit jackets have a very different cut and style to them than they did 15 years ago. Its also very different than they were 40 years ago as well. Also their ties are not terribly different over the years. -1 on the last part...I think he was kiddin'.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Is luftvier the official MC spokesman or what's the deal with that?

It's a shame he's the most outspoken member of MC here since he's a complete tool from what I've seen so far. The other MCers seem to take whatever criticism we lob at them quite well.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Wow, lamest comeback of all time. You realize that this makes you sound super-douchey, right? Also, it's like saying that you can get the best girls because you can hire the highest class hookers. Congratulations.

Oh, I am sure there are lamer comebacks. Did I strike a nerve?
lol8[1].gif

Your sarcastometer is obviosuly in need of a tune up. It was a joke. And, The Kunkmeister needs to dial back the hate.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger

-1 on the last part...I think he was kiddin'.

What he said.

Mike

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
It looks like it might be an awesome outfit, but the photo is horrible and the way he did his zipper was unflattering. Agreed that his previous fits were nice.

5190407706_ffc5cce3a7.jpg

Yeah I actually went digging b/c in that blurry ass pick I thought he was a friend from back in the day. He has a really great double breasted number from a while back.

5186925312_2b7eca4bc5.jpg
DSC02630 by The-0, on Flickr[/IMG]

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^A shame there are few posters like him with a true personal style that is neither formulaic or sterile like the mass circular reach-arounds that go on. I don't understand the point of posting so many photos if the above doesn't exist other than for pure fit critiques. Maybe that's it?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I am sure there are lamer comebacks. Did I strike a nerve?
lol8[1].gif

Your sarcastometer is obviosuly in need of a tune up. It was a joke. And, The Kunkmeister needs to dial back the hate.

What he said.

Mike

Probably true re. the sarcastometer. And I hate those clubs because I've been a member/had to go as a guest to that **** too many times to not see them for what they are.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
i think mc's view is distorted like someone previously mentioned, if they actually spent time on the forum they'd be able to differentiate between the different philosophies, good/bad posters, noobs, and such...plus they are reading the subheading that mentions hoodies literally it's almost as if they read the synopsis on the back cover of a book and think they know what the book is about.

This.

Originally Posted by jet
I think a good thing about this contest is that it seems to have effectuated a lot of cross-forum pollination which may serve to blur the distinction/understanding between the two forums. Maybe some mc'ers will be more likely to spend some time on this side and loosen up a little while we would be more inclined to visit their side as well.

And this.

I hang out at MC, and honestly have only glanced at SW&D a couple of times until now. I pretty much read "hoodies, obscure Japanese brands, etc" at the top and though "WTF?" Glanced at the pix a few times and pretty much bailed.

The contest got me to actually go back and reevaluate the clothes over here, and I see some things that I can learn from. Really dig Berlin Report for example (I realize he's probably not "cutting edge" or whatever, but a great look, and inspiring.) Also like Baron's look.

I'm 42 for what it's worth. Part of me feels like "there's nothing worse than a 40 year old trying to dress like a 20 year old," which has rightly or wrongly steered me away from SW&D. Probably wrongly, in that I see now it's not all hoodies (not even very many) nor skinny jeans, which is kind of the misconception I had.

As Jet said, I think I'll check things out over here more, and maybe loosen up a bit to boot.
smile.gif

Anyway, my two cents.

EZ

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Glad to be of help
redface.gif

There is a wealth of knowledge on both sides and as with anything it's up to you to filter the noise in order to really extract some usefulness and relevance from them. Once I step my mc game up, most of my suits, shirts, etc will have lots of visual interest and not in a clashing sort of manner I often see. There are a few guys who do a variant of this pretty well. It's just a shame there seems to be such a divide.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
This is actually remarkably true in WAYWT contests generally. What will get heaps of praise in the normal thread, once it gets into a contest, is rarely better than 3rd best, and so never gets anyone's vote as the winner. In this case it's likely to do a bit better since you can vote for more than one person, I guess. But if it's just one vote per person, interesting to see people who take risks usually get the most props.

totally agree. i have argued the one man/one voat approach a lot. if you know how to dress, you know how to dress - you dont need to win a competition or get pity voats from a competition to validate that you know how to dress.

Originally Posted by jet
how does this make any sense did you even read the whole thing? i think u mad son

i think mc's view is distorted like someone previously mentioned, if they actually spent time on the forum they'd be able to differentiate between the different philosophies, good/bad posters, noobs, and such...plus they are reading the subheading that mentions hoodies literally it's almost as if they read the synopsis on the back cover of a book and think they know what the book is about.

lol @ me being mad. hardly my man - hardly. i read the entire post. the poster (forgot who) praised his scarf, pipe etc ... but also mentioned his whips. what has his whips got to do with his fit for the competition? that was my point. and btw ... i think he was one of the best to do the challenge, so its not like i am bashing him. he will get my voat when i do voat.

w.r.t your other point - i spent a couple hours in SW&D's picture thread ... all 90 pages of it ... and i came away with about only 5 fits of note. 5 in 90 pages? come on son. maybe the great posters of SW&D werent posting in those 90 pages, because only 2 or 3 people caught my eye as having style. so its hard to accuse us of not understanding the philosophy when the fits supposed to portray the said philosophy were pretty terrible to start with. aeglus agreed and mentioned another thread (pictures and discussion) that would better represent SW&D. i plan to check that out later tonight or tomorrow.

i believe in versatility, and would have no problems doing SW&D right on weekends/holidays. however, i dont believe this nonsense of we are missing the point. the fits there were mostly terrible.

Originally Posted by jet
baron has the best old dude break on his jeans, everyone should study that

you just justified my initial post. Baron's fit hardly showed his break because of the camera angle. So how did you conclude that he has the best old dude break (if not from historical posts).

I have nothing against Baron. I wasnt here when he was great, nor have i seen a lot of his past great fits. I understand he has built some clout/following based on fits he used to post and i respect that, plus he is a very handsome man (no ****) ... but to try to dispute that his history/looks dont go into the praise his fit got is ridiculous.

anyway, if for nothing at all, this has motivated me to start poasting in SW&D on weekends/holidays. you will have ample opportunity to bash my SW&D style
smile.gif

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Glad to be of help
redface.gif

There is a wealth of knowledge on both sides and as with anything it's up to you to filter the noise in order to really extract some usefulness and relevance from them. Once I step my mc game up, most of my suits, shirts, etc will have lots of visual interest and not in a clashing sort of manner I often see. There are a few guys who do a variant of this pretty well. It's just a shame there seems to be such a divide.

Seeing jet use capitals and smiley faces and politeness is ******* freaking me out, guys

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
you just justified my initial post. Baron's fit hardly showed his break because of the camera angle. So how did you conclude that he has the best old dude break (if not from historical posts).

I have nothing against Baron. I wasnt here when he was great, nor have i seen a lot of his past great fits. I understand he has built some clout/following based on fits he used to post and i respect that, plus he is a very handsome man (no ****) ... but to try to dispute that his history/looks dont go into the praise his fit got is ridiculous.

+1
laugh.gif

It's true that biases are somewhat built into the voting but probably less than you think - mostly it's that people are evaluating different things. I rarely post photos anymore but I used to post more at SW&D than MC back in the day and I think that what some people on this side responded to is that nothing in my fit was atrocious or drew attention to itself in a bad way. For the SW crowd, a lot of it is avoiding the clownish elements that will bring an outfit crashing down. At the same time, my outfit wasn't really a "contest" fit - it was completely unremarkable stuff that I happened to be wearing that day, plus I was semi hung over and un-showered, and the pics were kinda lame iphone self pics - that's the thing that probably had you scratching your head. But the problem with most of the contest fits was the "hey, look at me in my hip casual clothes" vibe, and even if there was a cool piece mixed in, it gets lost in the mix of bad shoes, bad silhouettes, etc.

What I really don't understand it the MC guys scratching their heads about Aeglus' support here. He's wearing a great jacket, great jeans, everything fits perfectly - it's a very solid casual look. What more do people want? It's the same thing with tailored clothing - those Agnelli Life pics where he's wearing a perfectly tailored grey flannel suit with a solid light blue shirt and a navy tie. That's perfect. Adding flash does nothing to improve it.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
+1
laugh.gif

It's true that biases are somewhat built into the voting but probably less than you think - mostly it's that people are evaluating different things. I rarely post photos anymore but I used to post more at SW&D than MC back in the day and I think that what some people on this side responded to is that nothing in my fit was atrocious or drew attention to itself in a bad way. For the SW crowd, a lot of it is avoiding the clownish elements that will bring an outfit crashing down. At the same time, my outfit wasn't really a "contest" fit - it was completely unremarkable stuff that I happened to be wearing that day, plus I was semi hung over and un-showered, and the pics were kinda lame iphone self pics - that's the thing that probably had you scratching your head. But the problem with most of the contest fits was the "hey, look at me in my hip casual clothes" vibe, and even if there was a cool piece mixed in, it gets lost in the mix of bad shoes, bad silhouettes, etc.

What I really don't understand it the MC guys scratching their heads about Aeglus' support here. He's wearing a great jacket, great jeans, everything fits perfectly - it's a very solid casual look. What more do people want? It's the same thing with tailored clothing - those Agnelli Life pics where he's wearing a perfectly tailored grey flannel suit with a solid light blue shirt and a navy tie. That's perfect. Adding flash does nothing to improve it.

totally agree B ... i also appreciate you seeing where i was coming from w.r.t to your fit.

IMO Aeglus had one of the better fits. I can only assume people are whining because of the gap that Aeglus has on almost everyone, especially the voating on the SW&D side of the house. Might be their way of insinuating he is getting "house voats" without actually saying it because he is an SW&D regular and his fit is very nice, but not sooo much nicer than everyone else's to cause the skew in the voats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads