• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge: MC does SW&D - YOUR WINNER ANNOUNCED

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and critique, alas my photo was utter sh*t, so I don't expect much traction with you or my M.C buddies, here's a better idea of the fit...
5191778687_e86fa33d04.jpg
DSC02644 by The-0, on Flickr[/IMG]
I had to take these today, taking more after work yesterday proved to much at 1:30 am!
Still out of focus.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I think a good thing about this contest is that it seems to have effectuated a lot of cross-forum pollination which may serve to blur the distinction/understanding between the two forums. Maybe some mc'ers will be more likely to spend some time on this side and loosen up a little while we would be more inclined to visit their side as well.

This is exactly what I wanted - to see people get out of their comfort zone & see if they were as willing to subject themselves to criticism/pointers in streetwear (which doesn't necessarily mean looking like you're going to an indie concert) as they are with more tailored clothing. I'm sure some will stick to their guns, & I actually enjoyed the bile, but personally I like both sides. I wear a mixture of suits & t-shirts to work throughout the week, and although I've learned quite a bit from MC (still really new to the forum), I'll start poasting my casual fits here.

I should begin by saying I'm 35, have tons of old thrift-store flannels, tweed & leather jackets, and still think Vans are cool.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
plus I was semi hung over and un-showered
This gives me hope if I ever decide on settling down. Not to be a total dick about the submissions but mostly it was like scrolling through ratemypoo.com. I remember when more MCers would often post their casual fits on SW&D. It worked both ways as they would get constructive criticism from us and we'd get to see "stodgier" brands incorporated into casual fits. Huntsman, for example, used to do it really well while other members like Baron and Get Smart would sort of sit on the border and offer both. My Bruder needs to post more often, too, because can style SW&D-friendly brands into more mature (es tut mir leid...) looks. His fits should be a how-to on dressing casually in MC for those afraid of SW&D brands. Point being, MCers are doing themselves a disservice by only listening to each other in an area where they're clearly rather uncomfortable if not clueless. Obviously, people are inclined to spend more time in an interest they deal with daily but I didn't run to the Mens Warehouse for a suit because I couldn't be bothered to spend five minutes in MC.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Long catch-up post:
Originally Posted by Listi
Made in Cali looked fairly okay until I barfed all over myself upon visual impact with sneaker boots.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt for trying something a lot more experimental than just throwing something on
Originally Posted by mack11211
Without scanning the whole comments thread, I have to say the most impressive thing about the pix is that almost no one is dressing as if they enjoy doing it...It's less about having fun than trying to avoid mistakes. Loosen up, straight guys! Some of the wimmenz like a bit of color! Relax! I voited nidawg for the poppy color. Also liked NY Ranger for the red cap and the ROYAL TENNENBAUMS vibe.
Agreed, gave a vote or two just because they look like they're having fun with it (nii, for instance)
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
For real. Also, I think stacking on pants can look cool depending on the fabric-weight and taper.
redface.gif

Aggressively tapered pants without a break look pretty ridiculous. I actually prefer a little bit of a break 99.99% of the time
Originally Posted by Brothersport
haha winner. I don't really get this "timeless" thing at all. I know SW&D picks on it, but I still hear it everywhere. Button stance, lapel width, gorge, and pant break are all SO noticeable on suits, and they're heavily affected by trends. It's incredibly easy to tell when things look dated on Ebay, e.g. Not only that, but why would anyone care about having a "timeless" look when they're young?? There are MCers in their 20s...do you really think you're going to look back on your outfits in 30 years and a) find that what you wear now perfectly matches what you're going to wear in 2040, and b) care about it?
The world is going to end in 2012 anyway, **** your timelessness
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
+1 I like this, looks cool. I don't think I could pull it off, but I still think it looks cool...and this is where I think a lot of MCers fail...too many judge a look pass or fail on whether or not they would look good in it, and can't see it objectively.
This is actually something I've thought a lot. MCers seem to judge things on whether or not they would wear it but with SW&D there are so many more sub-genres that you have to appreciate even if you wouldn't personally wear it (I can't see myself going workwear, but when it's done right I still give props where due)
Originally Posted by niidawg3
w.r.t your other point - i spent a couple hours in SW&D's picture thread ... all 90 pages of it ... and i came away with about only 5 fits of note. 5 in 90 pages? come on son. maybe the great posters of SW&D werent posting in those 90 pages, because only 2 or 3 people caught my eye as having style. so its hard to accuse us of not understanding the philosophy when the fits supposed to portray the said philosophy were pretty terrible to start with. aeglus agreed and mentioned another thread (pictures and discussion) that would better represent SW&D. i plan to check that out later tonight or tomorrow.
While there are a few members who post in there exclusively (RFX), most post in the discussion thread exclusively. I know I have 0 posts in the non-discussion thread.
Originally Posted by TTO
Thanks for the comments and critique, alas my photo was utter sh*t, so I don't expect much traction with you or my M.C buddies, here's a better idea of the fit... I had to take these today, taking more after work yesterday proved to much at 1:30 am! Still out of focus.
So much better, the angle gets rid of the pouch effect that the unzipped bottom of the jacket gave. That, and you can actually see the fit
I think aeglus is cheating since I see him as more of an SW&D type, but threw a vote in for him. I am bad at choosing these things though, lots of votes from me
shog[1].gif
Top 5: MrChris - for a "bridging the gap" fit, really good; first version was a bit MC-heavy but the coat balanced it nicely NOBD DocHolliday - brand synergy!
bounce2.gif
Holdfast - waistcoat may have been a bit much, but pretty good overall Made in California - appreciate you trying the boot tuck, and the rest of the fit was pretty decent (get new boots though)

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
My vote to Baron for looking great while keeping things simple and classy. His vintage Persols and patinated shoes add character to his overall look while the self taken shot and unshaven face highlight his carefree attitude.

It passes off as another normal look untill you look closely and think for some time, quite pleasantly surprising like the drydown of some well crafted fragrance.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That's what I like about Baron all of his pieces are well chosen and mesh well, but it's not until you look closer than you realize the dude is wearing Vass, selvedge denim, vintage cashmere and a quality shirt. If there were more classy guys like him here LA would be a much better place.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO
Thanks for the comments and critique, alas my photo was utter sh*t, so I don't expect much traction with you or my M.C buddies, here's a better idea of the fit...
5191778687_e86fa33d04.jpg
DSC02644 by The-0, on Flickr[/IMG]
I had to take these today, taking more after work yesterday proved to much at 1:30 am!
Still out of focus.

Looks good, and the high cuffs over the mountaineering boots were great, possibly the most stylish combo there out of the entire group. I think the tight fitting jacket with the two-way zip that you're exploiting heavily would work okay if you wore that same outfit and then had one more additional layer over top of that, like a field coat or something. no comment on out of control beard.
ffffuuuu.gif

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Looks good, and the high cuffs over the mountaineering boots were great, possibly the most stylish combo there out of the entire group. I think the tight fitting jacket with the two-way zip that you're exploiting heavily would work okay if you wore that same outfit and then had one more additional layer over top of that, like a field coat or something. no comment on out of control beard.
ffffuuuu.gif

You mean like this?
5191777617_4a7202ee12.jpg
DSC02642 by The-0, on Flickr[/IMG]
there are more if you click the pic...

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
-1, the dude wore a death metal get up...c'mon now. He's also a lawyer. I think both sides need to take into perspective where they each spend most of their days. Cause I'm a teacher, I can get away with some **** that a lot of the guys over there can't, so I can kind of play both sides. I wore my fit to work Friday...as for SW&D guys, I'd be willing to bet most are under 30, and work in a creative field (if they work at all).
Any time someone makes this point I have to point out three things: 1. I am a lawyer, 2. At a firm that is headed for 2 centuries old, 3. I wear sw&d 3/7 days per week during the day, plus evenings and it doesn't resemble the people in the first post of this thread.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO
You mean like this?
5191777617_4a7202ee12.jpg
DSC02642 by The-0, on Flickr[/IMG]
there are more if you click the pic...

yes, kind of. Was thinking something more outdoorsy and 3/4 length, like a Mackinaw jacket, a field jacket, a hunting jacket, something like that, but that works as well. A casual single breasted outer over that single breasted zipped jacket, though, if you want to layer with the 2-way zipper half undone the way you have it.

Not a fan of the boots upon closer inspection, I thought they were classical trekking boots in the previous photo.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing about Spoo: He wanted to win, so he went for it; his fit shows some originality and he clearly wasn't going for a tie (no pun intended).

Doing a poal for a set of submissions like this isn't all that interesting. What we really should have done is set an over-under on how many dark denim + blazer combinations we'd see.

Finally, 2011 is just a few weeks away, and anyone who still wears faux-workwear can suck one.

I thank you for your time.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Here's the thing about Spoo: He wanted to win, so he went for it; his fit shows some originality and he clearly wasn't going for a tie (no pun intended).
rimshot.gif
lol8[1].gif

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next year it'll be all about the coveralls. Oil spilled on it for extra workwear cred. Two sizes too big. You'll see.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to vote for SW&D regulars

For example aeglus fit was prob better than most objectively, but he's a SW&D master & that was not one of his better fits, despite it being great. In the context of his fits I just found it a little boring.

My SW&D doesn't let me like fits with details that would bomb (awful fitting jeans, grotesque graphics on anything etc). I also feel like a lot of the MC dudes fits show a fear of really stepping outside of the MC world, making for fits that look stiff and hopefully don't reflect personalities as much as an inability to step outside their comfort zones. That said there were some good fits and IMO the compromise between all factors was played out best by the OP, SpooPoker, mainly cause of that coat and the fact that everything fit decently. If the turtleneck were replaced maybe with a black dress shirt and the pants replaced w/something more casual it would have been a shoein.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads