• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lawlercon

Reaction score
Price isn't too bad, and it is competitive with similar brands. Monitaly did the fairbault mills wool coats last season with the metal toggles and corduroy good and those were $1500. Although they were knee length jackets.

El QUaG

Reaction score
Anyone else notice Need Supply removed the ability to buy EG gear directly via online website?

Item description and photos still up, but you can now only order via email.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i picked up a s/s bedford in cotton khaki, and the backsides of the buttons have a ring on them instead of a simple knot - whats the rationale behind that?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i picked up a s/s bedford in cotton khaki, and the backsides of the buttons have a ring on them instead of a simple knot - whats the rationale behind that?

Old hunting and workwear jackets had buttons like these - I've seen them referred to as "change buttons". Not sure on the history of how the design came about, but I'd guess that it was because with this style you could more quickly attach a button back on while out in the field or on a factory floor and not worry about a needle and thread.

the year 1492

Reaction score
Stockists who signed on after 2008 are asked not to sell directly online.

Can anyone (maybe Gary) speak to this? I've always wondered about it. I've noticed that other brands (Dries, for example) are going this route and I've always found it interesting because it's so decidedly anti e-commerce and anti 2013. Is this a decision mostly to promote the exclusivity of the brand or what's the deal? I think it's fascinating but I don't understand the rationale.

I'd love to hear insights from anyone with a view into the industry.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can anyone (maybe Gary) speak to this? I've always wondered about it. I've noticed that other brands (Dries, for example) are going this route and I've always found it annoying and pointless because it's so decidedly anti e-commerce and anti 2013.

FTFY

Last edited:

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Can anyone (maybe Gary) speak to this? I've always wondered about it. I've noticed that other brands (Dries, for example) are going this route and I've always found it interesting because it's so decidedly anti e-commerce and anti 2013. Is this a decision mostly to promote the exclusivity of the brand or what's the deal? I think it's fascinating but I don't understand the rationale. 

I'd love to hear insights from anyone with a view into the industry. 

The rationale is simply that the designer/manufacturer has reconsidered their product placement and position in the marketplace and is fleeing the shopping cart experience which tarnishes their identity as a luxury brand. I won't speak for Engineered Garments philosophy but I will comment on Drinkwater's. We could have easily added an e-commerce branch to our business model and we would have reaped some greater financial success because of it but it wouldn't be the same Drinkwater's experience which so many have grown to appreciate. Many have realized that there is a certain lack of satisfaction when there is a void of human interaction and I think that that is now being realized by many industries.. We are a destination store and a relationship driven experience with great product, we cherish the opportunity to serve our customers and in return our customers find pleasure in the opportunity to visit us. Some would say that this a pompous ideal but we are Brick and Mortar and we are here to stay.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just leave it aloe, no point in removing

Agreed, not only is it hardly noticeable but it actually comes in handy (especially if between sizes)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads