• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Importance of full canvas vs half canvas?

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Total voters

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We are making up new jackets for A/W and we're just curious what some of you thought. Full is obviously always better, but being more expensive is it that important to you for heavier fall/winter fabrics? We see the merits full canvas for for S/S fabrics and suits but wanted to get an idea of what others thought.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So far about 50/50 🤔

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought of half canvas as incomplete or a cost cutting measure until I started buying Oxxford, where it is clearly a design choice. I can go either way now. I sometimes prefer half canvas for the So Cal heat.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I always thought of half canvas as incomplete or a cost cutting measure until I started buying Oxxford, where it is clearly a design choice. I can go either way now. I sometimes prefer half canvas for the So Cal heat.
I think you might be referring to half lining Vs fully lined? Canvassing has more to do with the layers inside to give the jacket some body/structure.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might be referring to half lining Vs fully lined? Canvassing has more to do with the layers inside to give the jacket some body/structure.
Oops! You are correct, I was referring to half lined. My mistake. All of my jackets are fully canvassed, so I can't fully address the actual question you asked. Great to see brands seeking this sort of customer feedback though (ex Pepsi brand manager here).

Somehow I seem to be able to make a good SC look like I slept in it after a couple of hours of wear, so more structure is usually better for me.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are making up new jackets for A/W and we're just curious what some of you thought. Full is obviously always better, but being more expensive is it that important to you for heavier fall/winter fabrics? We see the merits full canvas for for S/S fabrics and suits but wanted to get an idea of what others thought.

Maybe it could be useful to explain what the terms exactly mean and how the different construction affect the garment.

https://begyourpardon.com.au/blogs/news/what-is-canvassing-half-canvas-full-canvas-and-more

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

J.A.G

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has no idea what construction they have? Or how to know the difference in the clothing they already own?

Blastwice

Reaction score
I recently had this conversation with someone knowledgeable. Our conclusion was that full canvas construction was perhaps better from a longevity-standpoint and has minor implications on lower drape, but if the garment is made well, even half-canvas can be generally be enough.

Some things to consider:
  • If you're buying something special (expensive) and have the option to upgrade to the full canvas, it's probably not a huge percentage of the cost anyway.
  • You'll likely retire good suiting for bodily reasons or due to fashion/taste changes before they wear out and/or fall apart.
  • If you can't tell, does it matter?
  • Is the halo effect of feeling better about the construction of your clothing even when you're not wearing it (aka placebo) worth the upcharge for full-canvas?
  • Scarecrow, Tin Man, or Cowardly Lion?

St1X

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has no idea what construction they have? Or how to know the difference in the clothing they already own?
You need to pinch two side of the jacket and feel if there is any layer in between. If that extra layer is at the bottom of your jacket, than it's a full canvas. If only at the chest - half canvas.
If your jacket is unlined, you can just peek in between the layers and see the canvas

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's also the "no canvassing" option.

Screenshot (1365).png
Screenshot (1367).png
Screenshot (1366).png

Screenshot (1369).png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads