• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

David Copeland

Reaction score
Quote: As Wikipedia and other well known sites have defined what a historical novel is, it does not matter whether someone says "it's fictional except when it isn't" or "it's non-fictional except when it isn't".

The same thing could define the great movie "bios", such as THE BIBLE or THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - all of which the screen writers applied "dramatic license" (aka fiction) to tell an historical story.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

As Wikipedia and other well known sites have defined what a historical novel is, it does not matter whether someone says "it's fictional except when it isn't" or "it's non-fictional except when it isn't".

Your'e missing the point. It matters when I say it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

The same thing could define the great movie "bios", such as THE BIBLE or THE TEN COMMANDMENTS  - all of which the screen writers applied "dramatic license" (aka fiction) to tell an historical story.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choices either fiction Wreaking James Scudamore or Strange Rebels 1979 and the birth of the 21st Century Christian Caryl.

David Copeland

Reaction score

A great autobiography written by a guy who started at age 16 clearing the weeds around his dad's billboards in the southern humid heat, nearly flunking out of military school - only to discover he thrived on what would become a discipline for life, and then crawling and scratching and risking all that he had to build his win for America's Cup - and something new known as CNN. All that, plus giving $1billion to the UN Foundation, and earning another $10billion before he finally decided to move on.

Great hardback edition read.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started the Scudmore but put it down when The Coat Route, Craft Luxury and Obsession on the trail of $50,000 Coat by Meg Lukens Noonan arrived.

One of the best Sartorial reads i have ever encountered a joy to read, a cultural studies masterpiece. Highly Recommended.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is there confusion over what historical fiction is? Fiction in a historical setting. Easy.

HBO's Rome = historical fiction

HBO's Game of Thrones = high fantasy

Use that as your guide.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
Why is there confusion over what historical fiction is? Fiction in a historical setting. Easy.

Use that as your guide.

In my personal opinion, the confused many times wish to remain the confused, to stagnate their education, their view of what lies ahead, and their insistent refusal to read any books in this topic, with a mission of only tearing down what others have chosen to read. There are some confused who have an open mind and a humble, teachable heart - and will search out the elements of definitions, reviews, and consider what others are saying in their comments.

On your comment about HBO Rome, which is an excellent historical piece of drama, the following link provides a very nice list of other historical drama films:

LINK TO HISTORICAL DRAMA FILMS

Also, many of the historical drama films listed in the above link were screenplays based on the book version of an historical novel.

David

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Use that as your guide.

It's funny how many people say "back then" when referring to the setting of GOT. I get it, because the show clearly uses a lot of elements of the actual European middle ages, even moreso than your typical high fantasy, but it's still amusing.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished The Haitian Vodou Handbook by Kenaz Filan. It's a good, practical introduction to the topic. Next I'll probably read some early writings by Antonin Artaud. 'd also wish that R. Scott Bakker's final book of his second Prince of Nothing trilogy, The Aspect Emperor, would come out soon so that I can finally start reading this, too.

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
When I was in high school, historical fiction was considered historically accurate enough that James Michener's Centennial served as our textbook. The class was about the expansion of America's west. Pretty fascinating stuff actually. Michener has made that genre his specialty, and for me, his books are a pleasant way to learn the history of a place.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was in high school, historical fiction was considered historically accurate enough that James Michener's Centennial served as our textbook. The class was about the expansion of America's west. Pretty fascinating stuff actually. Michener has made that genre his specialty, and for me, his books are a pleasant way to learn the history of a place.

Well my high school history teacher (who was a coach, of course, because any idiot can teach history) showed us Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to teach us about the middle ages. :uhoh:

He also taught us that the Sumerians were the people from the Good Samaritan parable in the bible, along with a lot of other incorrect facts.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On this now.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a few hours ago, and now finished: The Ocean at the End of The Lane by Neil Gaiman. As far as Gaiman books go, it's very typical in motifs and the use of little-kids-see-what's-there, magic-as-matter-of-fact, and other little Gaiman/Pratchett tropes. But it was really well done. One of his better works, with no extraneous material.

David Copeland

Reaction score

You got that right. The 25+hour Mini Series of Centennial is a nice blend of history and drama, and can encourage the reader to move onto historical pieces and biographies.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads