• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Woah, let's not get crazy here and start calling HBO Rome "excellent". "Pretty good, I guess" is more like it, nevertheless, I still salivate over the thought of a feature film focused on Vorenus and Pullo.

On your comment about HBO Rome, which is an excellent historical piece of drama, the following link provides a very nice list of other historical drama films:

David

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
^I thought Rome was excellent. I don't especially care to enter the debate between 'historical drama' vs 'drama set in history'...but I thought Rome was excellent.

David Copeland

Reaction score

THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD

This is a great primer for the book, As a Man Thinketh by James Allen.

The Little Engine That Could should be in everyone's library.

Anything is possible when you think good about yourself.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually wasn't it the Little Red Engine that could? My favourite Marxist children's story. Or is it Cartesian? " i think I can I know I can."

Bad News Murdoch's Australian and the Shaping of the Nation, by Robert Manne.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About to wrap up Sufferings in Africa

He was used to adventure. He was used to the high seas. He was Captain James Riley, American seaman and independent businessman bound for Europe in 1815. He never made it! Instead the young sea captain and his crew were shipwrecked off the coast of Muslim-controlled Morocco. The sea salt was still wet in their hair when the battered survivors were pounced upon by local natives, ensnared, enchained, and marched off into the horrors of African slavery. Riley’s narrative reads like fiction but is based on solid fact. Most of his men died. A few were separated and sold into the interior of the continent, never to be seen again. He was the first American to venture near the legendary Timbuctoo. Yet the conditions were so barbaric, the food so scanty, and the beatings so regular that Riley dropped from 240 down to 90 pounds! After many desperate ordeals, the American sailor and a handful of his men were ransomed by a sympathetic English merchant who had learned of their plight. Upon his return to the United States, Riley penned “Sufferings in Africa”, which went on to become America’s first best-seller, reportedly selling more than a million copies through various editions. Yet “Sufferings in Africa” is much more than just an adventure travel classic. In a time when the United States was grappling with the thorny issue of slavery within her own borders, Riley’s startling book told a tale of “racist term for black people’s Cabin” in reverse. Here was a story of Caucasian Americans under the whip and in the chains that held millions of Black Americans at the same time. Scholars are currently researching clues that this deservedly famous book was read by a young Abraham Lincoln, and thus helped seal his own heart against slavery. A classic story of endurance and bravery then, this important American book remains as fresh today as the day it was first released.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished Cryptonomicon last night. I started Gravity's Rainbow and am about 50 pages in.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a few on the boil right now:

1. Demon Fish, by Juliet Halperin. This is a book about sharks, their biology, habitat and cultural impact.
2. The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov.
3. The Infographic History of the World, by Valentina D'Efilipo
4. The Swerve, by Stephen Greenblatt.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man on the Run Paul McCartney in the 70's by Tom Doyle

Last edited:

i10casual

Reaction score
My brief history. Stephen Hawking
What a curious man. Actually listen to it on audible. He start a chapter in his distinct voice and then the narrator continues. I really enjoyed it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom