• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Septieme Largeur footwear - Discussion Thread

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This brand intrigues me for a cheap, crazy shoe that you don't wear too often. I read through the thread and all the sizing comments confused me. If I wear a narrow US 11 (11B/C), what size would you recommend in the 199 last?

Also, I can't imagine a painted shoe working well...

azumi

Reaction score
Thanks europrep!
Just went on the website...unfortunately the suede boots i wanted aren't discounted.

Another question: any comparison between SL and Meermin?
I own both SL and Meermin shoes, I think they are the equal in term of quality but I prefer the look of SL.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both brands as well. Meermin is better value for money, I think, at nearly a hundred euro less per pair, but the SL models are often slightly more elegant.

phphl

Reaction score
I own both SL and Meermin shoes, I think they are the equal in term of quality but I prefer the look of SL.

May I ask if you're comparing with the Classic Collection or the LM line of Meermin?
smile.gif

Am thinking if I should get a discounted SL (around 180euro) or pay a little more for a Meermin LM (if it's of substantially better quality)... On the other hand, if quality of SL is more or less the same as a classic collection then I may just get save the difference in price and go for a meermin

many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

azumi

Reaction score
May I ask if you're comparing with the Classic Collection or the LM line of Meermin?
smile.gif

Am thinking if I should get a discounted SL (around 180euro) or pay a little more for a Meermin LM (if it's of substantially better quality)... On the other hand, if quality of SL is more or less the same as a classic collection then I may just get save the difference in price and go for a meermin

many thanks in advance!
I have bought 5 pairs of SL and 2 pair of Meermin (classic collection). I think they are equal in quality. One of my SL got cracked at the leather sole while my Meermin shoes are fine. But you can find out that many people complain about the same issue in Meermin thread and some other issues.

I have only one problem with my SL shoes is that the insole is not stickedwell, it's glued on the sole but it peeled off at the edge even before wearing at the firs time and I have to make it sticked by myself. Apart from that, their insoles is worn out at the heel quicker than my other shoes (compare with Meermin, Magnanni etc).

The upper leather of SL and Meermin are good at their price, especially when SL on sale (around 170 EUR or so). But once again, I prefer the appearance of SL. I think SL shoes look more elegant.

phphl

Reaction score
I have bought 5 pairs of SL and 2 pair of Meermin (classic collection). I think they are equal in quality. One of my SL got cracked at the leather sole while my Meermin shoes are fine. But you can find out that many people complain about the same issue in Meermin thread and some other issues.

I have only one problem with my SL shoes is that the insole is not stickedwell, it's glued on the sole but it peeled off at the edge even before wearing at the firs time and I have to make it sticked by myself. Apart from that, their insoles is worn out at the heel quicker than my other shoes (compare with Meermin, Magnanni etc).

The upper leather of SL and Meermin are good at their price, especially when SL on sale (around 170 EUR or so). But once again, I prefer the appearance of SL. I think SL shoes look more elegant.
Thanks for the info!

Have ordered SL which is on sale... will see how they go! I do agree that aesthetically speaking SL seem more appealing (with the fiddleback and their last shape, etc.)
smile.gif

phphl

Reaction score
Besides, does anyone have experience with their rubber sole? They look kinda weird and seem to elevate the shoes in a strange way...

azumi

Reaction score
I don't like that type of sole, yes looks weird as you said and I don't think it is suitable to the dress shoes. But I believe that Carmina has made some dress boots/shoes with that rubber sole.

MikkelM

Reaction score
Besides, does anyone have experience with their rubber sole? They look kinda weird and seem to elevate the shoes in a strange way...

It is the highly praised Ridgeway sole (Same company as Dainite). It might not look sleek. But it is believed to provide both more comfort and traction rain, snow or off the paverment.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is the highly praised Ridgeway sole (Same company as Dainite). It might not look sleek. But it is believed to provide both more comfort and traction rain, snow or off the paverment.

Yeah, I have it on a pair of Carmina boots, and it does the job. I'm not sure I'd like it on sleek dress shoes though...

BlackTalon

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of SL shoes, and while I haven't worn it enough to comment on comfort and durability, I must say the quality of a new shoes is better than what I expected for what I paid for it. :slayer:

I needed something discreet to go with the navy suit that I'll wear for my wedding, but yet I wanted something with more character than a single tone black/brown. Well, SL's custom patina service to the rescue! I'm really happy with the service, though I can't decide whether I'll prefer a slightly darker or lighter tone, but I figured I could tweak that later with colored polish. All in all, a great experience, and I just sent the shoes to be laser engraved! :embar:

Excuse the poor photo quality... It was taken with an iPhone.

BlackTalon

Reaction score
Thanks! The tongue was dyed a single tone. I know the tone looks a little different from the rest of the shoe in the photo but it matches well in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads