• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I
I wear between 42-42.5 euripean size uk usually 8.5 but for hiro i might go for 8?

My guess is that you are probably right between an 8 and 8.5 for hiro. Maybe if you have a high instep go with 8.5? Even with standard instep I think the 8 may feel a bit snug, although that may be better than the 8.5 feeling a bit loose. Really depends if you prefer a slightly snug fit or a slightly loose fit. Try to get more responses before you pull the trigger.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received long awaited norvegese MTO boot in brown naturecalf.
The good:

The brown naturecalf leather is very nice.
The shape of the hiro lasted boot is quite beautiful and classic.

The bad:

The welt and norvegese stitching seem quite messy in spots. Here are some pics.

inside of right boot, without flash:

inside of right boot, with flash:

inside of right boot from a bit further back:

front of right boot, without flash:

front of right boot, with flash:

This is my first pair of Norvegese shoes or boots so I have nothing to compare this to. However, based on online photos, it seems to me like this is quite sloppy Norvegese work. In addition, in certain areas you can see leather between the storm welt and the norvegese stitching, ie the norvegese stitching is too high on the boot. Edit: According to the MTO description these were supposed to have a flat welt and norvegese construction, so this was not even supposed to have a storm welt.

Can anyone tell me if I am right or wrong about these concerns?

Last edited:

Win545

Reaction score

This is what makes me so hesitant. While the Elton looks to be more narrow than the Hiro, I'm not sure it actually is. Here are measurements I found comparing the Hiro and Elton last which seems to indicate that the Hiro is the slimmer fit:

HIRO

L 294 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
W 104 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
L 276 mm last insole 7.5UK
W 099 mm last insole 7.5UK
Foot 25.8 cm 7.5UK

L 298 mm shoe outsole 8UK
W 105 mm shoe outsole 8UK
L 280 mm last insole 8UK
W 101 mm last insole 8UK
Foot 26.3 cm 8UK

ELTON

L 300mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
W 105 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
L 280 mm last insole 7.5UK
W 100 mm last insole 7.5UK
Foot 26.1 cm 7.5UK

L 304 mm shoe outsole 8UK
W 106 mm shoe outsole 8UK
L 284 mm last insole 8UK
W 101 mm last insole 8UK
Foot 26.4 cm 8UK

I have own both elton and hiro double monk and i must say that elton although seems sleeker but it fit comfortable than hiro. Hiro has a narraow short toe while elton have elongated toe box that give an extra space. I suggest you to go with UK9.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received long awaited norvegese MTO boot in brown naturecalf.
The good:

The brown naturecalf leather is very nice.
The shape of the hiro lasted boot is quite beautiful and classic.

The bad:

The welt and norvegese stitching seem quite messy in spots. Here are some pics.

inside of right boot, without flash:

inside of right boot, with flash:

inside of right boot from a bit further back:

front of right boot, without flash:

front of right boot, with flash:

This is my first pair of Norvegese shoes or boots so I have nothing to compare this to. However, based on online photos, it seems to me like this is quite sloppy Norvegese work. In addition, in certain areas you can see leather between the storm welt and the norvegese stitching, ie the norvegese stitching is too high on the boot. Edit: According to the MTO description these were supposed to have a flat welt and norvegese construction, so this was not even supposed to have a storm welt.

Can anyone tell me if I am right or wrong about these concerns?
You are not wrong at all, but...it is Meermin and at those prices I would perfectly live with those issues in a sturdy boot.

Enjoy your nice boots.!!

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are not wrong at all, but...it is Meermin and at those prices I would perfectly live with those issues in a sturdy boot.

Enjoy your nice boots.!!

Hey thanks!! Not sure if you read through the whole thread on these, but do you feel the same way even though these are linea maestro (paid 420 instead of the typical 245 for meermin's standard boots).

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@cbfn yeah the shoes did get a little damp when a wore them. Kind of unavoidable in London in December! In hindsight I should have waited until a completely dry day to wear them but my other shoes don't do anything like this when damp!

Wet leather, especially at the toes, gets quite moldable. This seems to be a result of wet leather soles plus a gait that results in more than normal wear on the toes.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks!! Not sure if you read through the whole thread on these, but do you feel the same way even though these are linea maestro (paid 420 instead of the typical 245 for meermin's standard boots).
I feel same way, but I am not to picky with HW+Chained Norvegese shoes at those prices.
fing02[1].gif

Should you be willing to spend 630 € (VAT inc) , go to Enzo Bonafe to avoid those issues.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
I think that quality is pretty poor for the money. It's 420, but then you add on shipping and customs and you're at ~500. You can get EB from Skoak for 550 and that price includes shipping and customs (not to mention a better reputation for service). I've seen some of their other Norvegese shoes when I visited the shop and they looked pretty good so I think this is just a bad draw in the Meermin quality lottery. It's certainly worth contacting them to see how they respond if you're not happy.

jamie411

Reaction score

Those don't look right at all. If you're unhappy I'd contact them and explain that the boots are defective and not per the description. They should offer a remake, in my opinion.

Jarmo

Reaction score
Speaking about Meermin and construction: is there any point in this storm welt? The band of the storm welt that is supposed to protect water from getting into the inner sole area is not even in touch with the upper leather and you can see into the sole construction through the gap.

Kimistry

Reaction score
A while back, I wrote about my trip to the Meermin store in Madrid. I had purchased a pair of double monk shoes in the Olfe last. What was strange is that I typically wear 8.5 UK size shoes, but instead, I found that the best fitting size for me was a 7.5 UK. A full size down!

I'm looking to buy another pair, this time the oxfords in oak antique in an Elton last. Since I'm not at their store, I'm not sure if I should get it in 7.5 UK or possible size up a little to a 8 UK.

Anyone have any advice on sizing?

Thanks!

Win545

Reaction score
Meermin has just launch the splittoe boot in the MTO. Looks pretty similar in shape to the alden tankers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads