• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
@troika Would you mind posting a few real life pictures of your Gardener? I tried the Comfort craftsman but my feet are quite wide, so I am looking for the Gardener, but I cannot find it in any other colors than what seems like very dark brown and black. I am more looking for Dark Tan or something similar, but would very much like to see what they look like.
It’s not available in Dark Tan. The closest boot you’ll find to the shade of brown is the Gammon Boot.

Areni-1

Reaction score
My new pair of Goodswood boots arrived! With a giant gash in the storm welt. Sigh.

IMG_6107.jpeg

Areni-1

Reaction score
Wow. Very sorry to hear about this...clearly a huge gap in QC...
Yeah, it’s the second pair of RM I’ve ordered online and then had to return in store the next day. Luckily I work in the city so it’s not a hassle, but if I was an overseas buyer it would put me off the brand.

But I have my replacement pair already and I really love this boot. It’s nowhere near as bulky as the standard Gardner, but it’s got extra tread, a storm welt, and I love the crazy horse leather.

Last edited:

Areni-1

Reaction score
My Chinchillas arrived yesterday and, like my mahogany Macquarie’s, these polish up like glass. I’m still trying to figure out why the signature boots are $250 more when these have the same leather soles, same stitch density, and an equal quality calfskin upper. (I really need to work on my photography skills, I know).

IMG_6120.jpeg

IMG_6117.jpeg
IMG_5973.jpeg

Last edited:

thefoobar

Reaction score
Pretty disgusted at the dunce at RMW who converted the sizing labels from AU -> EU. They did it based on unisex sizing, which was completely wrong for this speculative purchase despite saying 43.5 on the box:

rmw.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty disgusted at the dunce at RMW who converted the sizing labels from AU -> EU. They did it based on unisex sizing, which was completely wrong for this speculative purchase despite saying 43.5 on the box:

View attachment 2050923

Seems like maybe this is womens? I know women's runs a bit larger than tagged, so I can see how this is 2-3 sizes smaller

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't expect these will last long at this price. These are not mine, but they are my size. I like the color, but not sure about the sole. It might be too soft for me.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
My Chinchillas arrived yesterday and, like my mahogany Macquarie’s, these polish up like glass. I’m still trying to figure out why the signature boots are $250 more when these have the same leather soles, same stitch density, and an equal quality calfskin upper. (I really need to work on my photography skills, I know).

View attachment 2047365

View attachment 2047369 View attachment 2047371
Mahogany Macquaries... no way??? How do you get those, or even Mahogany 'any boot' @ RM Williams !?

Areni-1

Reaction score
Mahogany Macquaries... no way??? How do you get those, or even Mahogany 'any boot' @ RM Williams !?
Seems to be a seasonal colour. I ended up gifting them to my dad and very much regret it. He’s wearing them right now for Christmas and they look better than mine.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s the second pair of RM I’ve ordered online and then had to return in store the next day. Luckily I work in the city so it’s not a hassle, but if I was an overseas buyer it would put me off the brand.

But I have my replacement pair already and I really love this boot. It’s nowhere near as bulky as the standard Gardner, but it’s got extra tread, a storm welt, and I love the crazy horse leather.
Are you still enjoying the Goodwood's? I'm really thinking of buying a pair. I wear a pair of black Gardners most days and wanted to grab a brown boot to switch off with. Interesting you say it's less bulky as they look very similar in shape online

Areni-1

Reaction score
Are you still enjoying the Goodwood's? I'm really thinking of buying a pair. I wear a pair of black Gardners most days and wanted to grab a brown boot to switch off with. Interesting you say it's less bulky as they look very similar in shape online
I do still love them. They’re one of my go to “rain” boots and we’ve been getting a lot of that recently. It’s also what I assumed was a fairly unassuming boot, but it’s one that multiple people keep commenting on. The Goodwoods and my tan kangaroo RM’s are easily my favourite.

I did say it was less bulky, but I’ve looked into the gardener more since then and I might have misspoke. I’d seen a pair in store before but I suspect they were a wider fit because I’ve seen some other people post reviews of theirs online since and they do look to be the same last as the Goodwood.

My only complaint with the Goodwood would be the comfort liner. The things still make an audible squelching noise after months of wear.

jmiller123

Reaction score
I do still love them. They’re one of my go to “rain” boots and we’ve been getting a lot of that recently. It’s also what I assumed was a fairly unassuming boot, but it’s one that multiple people keep commenting on. The Goodwoods and my tan kangaroo RM’s are easily my favourite.

I did say it was less bulky, but I’ve looked into the gardener more since then and I might have misspoke. I’d seen a pair in store before but I suspect they were a wider fit because I’ve seen some other people post reviews of theirs online since and they do look to be the same last as the Goodwood.

My only complaint with the Goodwood would be the comfort liner. The things still make an audible squelching noise after months of wear.
Good to hear- Did the center line become less prominent with wear? Do you find the Goodwood to fit tight around the heel? I sometimes like to wear a half comfort insole if I'm doing a lot of standing which I'm able to do in my Gardners but unable in my Yearling's which definitely have a slimmer profile.

Areni-1

Reaction score
Good to hear- Did the center line become less prominent with wear? Do you find the Goodwood to fit tight around the heel? I sometimes like to wear a half comfort insole if I'm doing a lot of standing which I'm able to do in my Gardners but unable in my Yearling's which definitely have a slimmer profile.
The heel fits well with no slip, and there’s more room in the forefoot than my comfort craftsman, but it might be less roomy than your gardeners because it has a comfort insole and not a leather.

As for the centre line, I don’t feel it would ever fade with the way I treat my boots. I wear them to and from the office and around the city, and then keep shoe trees in them when I’m not wearing them. For the line to fade I think you need to be doing yard work, hikes, labour intensive stuff, and getting a lot of wear in them.

However, I work with a guy that used to work for RM and he told me to get a fine grit sand paper and smooth them off, and I tried that very lightly and it did make a difference without feeling like I’d ruined the leather. I could probably fade it in even more, but I was cautious the first sanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads