• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on pants rise

pixelsmith

Reaction score
I'm in a pickle.

According to what I've Googled, my pants should sit just below my belly button. Like one inch.

But this requires a waist tightness that makes my stomach feel uncomfortable. It's bearable when I stand but not when I sit. Feels like it's cutting into my waist a bit, and some belly hangs over like a muffin top.

So I go for a more relaxed waist tightness, which naturally falls and sits more like low rise jeans. This goes for jeans, drawstring pants, smart trousers, joggers, shorts, the lot.

It's comfy and I can sit in them all day, but I worry it doesn't look so good. A bit baggy. Especially if the pants are designed to sit just under the belly button.

So: proper rise and discomfort, or loose trousers and comfort. I can't find the goldilocks pants that solve this conundrum.

Am I worrying about nothing?

For reference, I am 1.7m tall (5ft 7) and 64kg (10stone). I usually wear small size clothing and wear a 77cm (30 inch) waist. I'm about 16% body fat, though the fairly little fat I have does tend to be around my belly (I used to be 90KG/14 stone).

paxonus

Reaction score
That is exactly what suspenders (braces) are for. You can wear a looser waist size and keep the trousers at the proper height. For jeans and khakis, go with a lower rise.

pixelsmith

Reaction score
Interesting - I hadn't thought of that as a solution!

With that said, I think 90% of my sartorial setups might look a little odd with braces. I veer very much towards the casual.

KOz

Reaction score
This is a question only you can answer since it pertains to your willingness to suffer discomfort for certain aesthetics. It's hard to give stylistic advice without any visual reference. Perhaps lower rise suits you and your style. In which case the whole point is moot.

Last edited:

pixelsmith

Reaction score
Good point! Let me take a bunch of photos with a pair of trousers - drawstring hybrid smart/casual from Reiss.
This is a question only you can answer since it pertains to your willingness to suffer discomfort for certain aesthetics. It's hard to give stylistic advice without any visual reference. Perhaps lower rise suits you and your style. In which case the whole point is moot.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think those are low-rise pants that are supposed to sit just above your hips (like most casual jeans etc). Definitely the pics where they are lower look more natural. You have to buy pants that are designed to sit high if you want to wear them high, otherwise they just look like you've hoisted them up and they will definitely feel uncomfortable.
Proper high-rise pants will be cut in a way so they will sit higher and feel that's the natural place for them.
You can also get mid-rise if that's a better natural fit for you!

Generally speaking, mainstream/mall brands don't always specify what rise they are supposed to be and they just assume that they will be worn low, as that's how jeans/chinos/cargo pants have traditionally been worn in recent decades. More dressy, "menswear" brands (the sort of brands people talk about on here, Drakes, Spiers & Mackay etc) are more likely to be cut to be worn high. From what I know, higher-rise casual pants haven't really been the mainstream fashion for a while (fifty years ago it was a different matter) but they are getting more popular now so there are more of them about.

(And yeah, don't wear braces with casual outfits unless you are going for a very specific kind of vintage/skinhead look, or something, which you probably aren't. They are usually for dress pants worn as part of a suit).

pixelsmith

Reaction score
I think those are low-rise pants that are supposed to sit just above your hips (like most casual jeans etc). Definitely the pics where they are lower look more natural. You have to buy pants that are designed to sit high if you want to wear them high, otherwise they just look like you've hoisted them up and they will definitely feel uncomfortable.
Proper high-rise pants will be cut in a way so they will sit higher and feel that's the natural place for them.
You can also get mid-rise if that's a better natural fit for you!

Generally speaking, mainstream/mall brands don't always specify what rise they are supposed to be and they just assume that they will be worn low, as that's how jeans/chinos/cargo pants have traditionally been worn in recent decades. More dressy, "menswear" brands (the sort of brands people talk about on here, Drakes, Spiers & Mackay etc) are more likely to be cut to be worn high. From what I know, higher-rise casual pants haven't really been the mainstream fashion for a while (fifty years ago it was a different matter) but they are getting more popular now so there are more of them about.

(And yeah, don't wear braces with casual outfits unless you are going for a very specific kind of vintage/skinhead look, or something, which you probably aren't. They are usually for dress pants worn as part of a suit).
This is a super helpful reply, thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads