• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
I only have the black and brown suede pairs. Happy to post those if you need
Oh, I thought you had the leather ones. Most kind of you, but I am looking for the brown leather one, which the pictures on RMw website seems very very dark brown, almost on the verge of black.

woadwarrior

Reaction score
My favourite will always be the Lachlan - it has the rubber work sole of the Gardener with a thicker, oil infused leather similar to the Gardener - but with the sleeker last and profile of the Craftsman. Best of all worlds, imo. Since getting mine three years ago, the other pairs have all been neglected.
Hi Justin,
I'm intrigued by your description of the Lachlan. I am used to the CC and DFC soles but have never worn a rubber soled RM boot - how do they compare in terms of comfort to walk on compared to the rubber soles of the Gardener and Lachlan? I figured from the name that the CCs would be more comfortable, but I'm happy to be corrected.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for Kangaroo Craftsman in US9, let me know. My job just moved too full time "work from home" so selling my office boots. I have mine listed at ebay but prefer local sales to avoid tax/ebay seller fees.

cheers!

Attachments

• IMG-1234.jpg
    IMG-1234.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMG-1236.jpg
    IMG-1236.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 1,414

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
Any with the Gardener in leather brown that would be willing to post a few pictures, it seems like a very dark brown. Also how would you say it compares to the Comfort Craftsman? I am asking because the CC was abit too narrow for my feet, which is why I am looking at the Gardener.

bemk

Reaction score
Any with the Gardener in leather brown that would be willing to post a few pictures, it seems like a very dark brown. Also how would you say it compares to the Comfort Craftsman? I am asking because the CC was abit too narrow for my feet, which is why I am looking at the Gardener.

👉 #7,165

There you can see the Gardener in brown next to the black Gardener. And also some Chestnut Craftsman, regular and Kangaroo. All pictures were done shortly after each other in pretty much the same light, so you can get an impression across pictures, I want to say.

If you take the time to search this thread for 'Gardener' you should find info on this, you are not the first to ask.
I had a CC in black, which was too big, so I can't compare it with the Gardener, but I also have a Tobacco Suede CC and I find it similarly in fit (tightness).

If memory serves me right, there is a general consensus that the Comfort Craftsman sits a bit closer / tighter than the Craftsman because of the added cushion and I feel this also. The Gardener is closer in fit to the CC than to the classic Craftsman in my experience.

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
Much appreciated @bemk , thank you. The problem with the CC for me was solely the toe box, it is too narrow for my feet in the front - my left toe was being squished. My understanding from what you are saying is that I might be disappointed with the Gardener if I except a very roomy round toe box?

bemk

Reaction score
Much appreciated @bemk , thank you. The problem with the CC for me was solely the toe box, it is too narrow for my feet in the front - my left toe was being squished. My understanding from what you are saying is that I might be disappointed with the Gardener if I except a very roomy round toe box?

You didn't mention the toe area before and I wasn't talking it about it either.

Well, the Gardener has a round toe box tip, the Craftsman / CC has a Chisel Toe shape, but I can't say, if it helps your problem. I had no issues in both, so I have no related awareness and as I sold my Gardeners meanwhile, I cannot compare anymore. It wouldn't help anyway as we have different feet.

Hopefully someone else here joins and gives you a better idea.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try the CC in the H width?

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
Did you try the CC in the H width?
Yes, it was the H width.

You didn't mention the toe area before and I wasn't talking it about it either.

Well, the Gardener has a round toe box tip, the Craftsman / CC has a Chisel Toe shape, but I can't say, if it helps your problem. I had no issues in both, so I have no related awareness and as I sold my Gardeners meanwhile, I cannot compare anymore. It wouldn't help anyway as we have different feet.

Hopefully someone else here joins and gives you a better idea.
Ok, i misunderstood you. Yes, the Chisel vs the more round toe box was my idea why the Gardener might be a suitable option for me. But that is only going by pictures. I have no RMW dealers located nearby, so I would have to go by online pictures.

Also I am not sure I like the darker colorway compared the Dark Tan, so two things I am pondering :)

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
I got a pair of Comfort Craftsman in Dark Tan size 6H purchased directly from RM W website. They are in sublime condition. Willing to ship anywhere. PM me if interested.
Bump this.

vulford

Reaction score
I feel like I am crazy but to do RMWs in general wear a bit short and narrow? I brannock as a UK8.5E so started with a UK 8.5H Comfort Craftsman- too narrow around the pinky toe so went for the Comfort Turnout in UK 8.5H as well, that feels a little better but it's still a couple MM too narrow around the pinky and my toes would press against the front of the toe box when walking downhill.

Stopped into a store and feel a little bit better going .5 up into a UK9 in the Craftsman, still deciding if the H will be better in the long run.

ezev

Reaction score
Yes, it was the H width.

Ok, i misunderstood you. Yes, the Chisel vs the more round toe box was my idea why the Gardener might be a suitable option for me. But that is only going by pictures. I have no RMW dealers located nearby, so I would have to go by online pictures.

Also I am not sure I like the darker colorway compared the Dark Tan, so two things I am pondering :)

Only sharing my experience, but I have the luxury of being able to try their shoes on at the store.
  • I wear a 9G in classic craftsman - I have a leather pair in 8.5G which has molded so well to my foot I don't experience any issues)
  • I wear a 9.5G in the Gardener - I tried on a 9G and it was a bit tight due to the added volume from the cushioning.
    • the 9H Gardener is an ideal fit, but it looked so bulbous on my foot that I decided to size up a half size to get the width. The 9H is still wider then the 9.5G but it was not significantly noticeable on my feet. I know this boot is not a "fashion boot", but I was comfortable enough with the sizing.
If the H width still does not fit you, you could try going up a half size, maintain the H width, and add an insole.

PeterHH2024

Reaction score
@ezev

Thank you! Two questions; how was the room for your pinky toe? That is the one that is causing me difficulties with the CC, and it must be because I have crazy wide feet.
And also, do you happen to have any pictures of the color way? Because the Gardener Brown seems almost on the verge of black on their website, while I like the Dark Tan color way of the CC.

Benscha

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I just got this pair of Gardener / Yard boot with screwed soles. A nice pair, with almost no wear on the soles/insole and the vamp from the last still noticable when worn.

I mainly shop vintage RM williams now, since I think they are of better quality… Any of you with similar experience of new vs old?

However: For the quriosity; do any of you know what year this model is from?

It looks like the old logo on the heel pad.

The leather does not feel like greasy kip. More like some sturdy ox leather. Definately more sturdy than the greasy kip Yard Boot I have from 2010.

Leather has also a little bit of burgundy tone compared with old school chestnut.

Pictures is not optimal lighting - If anyone is curious, some more photos can be taken in daylight.

Best regards

Attachments

• 957DB4D0-5D3C-4DDA-A0BE-346171E0D306.jpeg
    957DB4D0-5D3C-4DDA-A0BE-346171E0D306.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 2AA4F3F3-23EA-4712-BC85-49BD69008EE7.jpeg
    2AA4F3F3-23EA-4712-BC85-49BD69008EE7.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 488
  • 7090806B-5350-493E-9BA5-FAC34D71DAF7.jpeg
    7090806B-5350-493E-9BA5-FAC34D71DAF7.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 572

Quiet Observer

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I just got this pair of Gardener / Yard boot with screwed soles. A nice pair, with almost no wear on the soles/insole and the vamp from the last still noticable when worn.

I mainly shop vintage RM williams now, since I think they are of better quality… Any of you with similar experience of new vs old?

However: For the quriosity; do any of you know what year this model is from?

It looks like the old logo on the heel pad.

The leather does not feel like greasy kip. More like some sturdy ox leather. Definately more sturdy than the greasy kip Yard Boot I have from 2010.

Leather has also a little bit of burgundy tone compared with old school chestnut.

Pictures is not optimal lighting - If anyone is curious, some more photos can be taken in daylight.

Best regards
What you have is the R.M. Williams Yard Boot. This was the precursor to the Gardener Boot, but was discontinued because the screws sometimes wore through the boot over time. They stopped making these around 2008/2009.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads