• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

ant922599

Reaction score
Oh ps @unprocessed - talking to Simon at G&G showroom the other week, there are definitely delays in them getting exotics at the moment. He was suggesting a timescale of 6-9 months for MTO, compared to 3-4 months for calf/suede.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Oh ps @unprocessed - talking to Simon at G&G showroom the other week, there are definitely delays in them getting exotics at the moment. He was suggesting a timescale of 6-9 months for MTO, compared to 3-4 months for calf/suede.

Uh oh. Did he mention what kind of exotics have delays? I was going with the Teju lizard.

unprocessed

Reaction score
The Savile is a sleek, modern classic so I'd personally go for a tonal make up, ie colour matched. There will still be enough contrast with the different materials.

I've got the Savile on square deco and it works very well (sort of in answer to your other question on fit - it's a model that looks great on sq deco IMHO).

I’ve got a small shoe size and the DG70 for the Savile already looks very sleek, my only concern is that the square deco could look more pointy the smaller the shoe Is.

ant922599

Reaction score
Uh oh. Did he mention what kind of exotics have delays? I was going with the Teju lizard.
Hi @unprocessed - I too was looking at lizard (which he said is likely delayed) but I don't know whether this extends to other exotics.

It was all related to the new certification requirements...

I was looking at a Kent with lizard uppers, but ended-up going Cliffe with a criollo patina.

There is still time for a second order though I suppose!

unprocessed

Reaction score
Hi @unprocessed - I too was looking at lizard (which he said is likely delayed) but I don't know whether this extends to other exotics.

It was all related to the new certification requirements...

I was looking at a Kent with lizard uppers, but ended-up going Cliffe with a criollo patina.

There is still time for a second order though I suppose!

Placed my order today with Karen. She still quoted me for a 12-16 week time frame after I asked if there would be any delays for the lizard.

Went with the Savile in vintage chestnut, Teju lizard on the vamp. Trying the Wensum sole for the first time.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burnham in conker patina on round deco

DSC_0494.JPG
DSC_0498.JPG

Last edited:

rdaws

Reaction score
I have a sizing question, which is a little ridiculous given I’m on my 6th pair with a 7th on the way. I’m not sure if my feet have gotten bigger as I’ve gotten older or if my preferences have changed, but I’ve long been a 9.0E UK, and am now finding that my 4th and 5th toes are running into the end of the shoe. It’s particularly pronounced on my left foot so I had a 3mm fit piece put into the pinky toe on my incoming MTO, but as I continue to wear my shoes I’m wondering if I just need a half size up. I got one classic range on 9.0 S45 which seems to work well, and which convinced me I’d fix the issue by starting to order F width, but I did that on the Sinatra and on my Urban Commando and while it solves the targeted problem it’s too roomy (except in the commando where I can wear thick boot socks). This is true for the MH71 and TG73 lasts, which is mostly what I have in the 9.0E.

What dimensional change in length and width if I go up half a size? Is the change in width (in mm) less than going up a width (E to F)? I’m starting to think I need something slightly longer than a 9.0 and slightly wider than a 9.0E, but not as wide as a 9.0F. So, 9.5E? Or maybe I need a GG06 with a little extra room on the edges?

fwiw I have a custom last at STC which is magic, based on their 8.5 middle width but with extra room in the 4th and 5th toes. Fantastic shoes but I can’t be a one brand guy. Was hoping I could pick up some St James RTW during the current promo but they need to fit!!

9.0E on Mh71 photo for reference so you can see where I’m creasing (these are 5 years old at this point so there is a lot of fit history in those creases, which as I’ve mentioned may Have changed recently).

Attachments

• ABC3EF72-808F-4764-AE97-7F56ACD48166.jpeg
    ABC3EF72-808F-4764-AE97-7F56ACD48166.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 174

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sizing question

I'd strongly suggest getting in touch with G&G directly. None of us can really tell you what might or might not work. G&G know your shoe history, and would be the best placed to advise on how a different sizes/width might accommodate your feet differently, or whether it might be better to continue to apply different fittings like the ones you described. At the end of the day, though, the only one who will be able to determine what works best is you, and that'll be an evolutionary process that happens between you and G&G. I've gone through the same thing, and it's taken me upwards of 30 pairs, so you have a ways yet to go! :D

rdaws

Reaction score
I'd strongly suggest getting in touch with G&G directly. None of us can really tell you what might or might not work. G&G know your shoe history, and would be the best placed to advise on how a different sizes/width might accommodate your feet differently, or whether it might be better to continue to apply different fittings like the ones you described. At the end of the day, though, the only one who will be able to determine what works best is you, and that'll be an evolutionary process that happens between you and G&G. I've gone through the same thing, and it's taken me upwards of 30 pairs, so you have a ways yet to go! :D

I had both Tony and Dean check me out at the last NYC trunk show with my 9.0E MH71s and the rec was an MTO with a toe fitting, so that's the best advice I have so far! I'd just really like to save $500 and find an RTW that relieves the pressure point.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had both Tony and Dean check me out at the last NYC trunk show with my 9.0E MH71s and the rec was an MTO with a toe fitting, so that's the best advice I have so far! I'd just really like to save $500 and find an RTW that relieves the pressure point.
I hear you. For what it’s worth, my nominal size is 9.5E, but I do take a couple mods in terms or instep and also a tad extra room around the pinky toe. I recently picked up a 9.5F in the sample sale that works very well with an additional leather sock liner. I’ve never had success in going up in size though - 10 is just a tad too long. The difference isn’t much, and probably wouldn’t be obvious to an onlooker, but I know from the way the shoe has broken in the first couple steps that it’s just too long.

You might have better luck, but it sounds like you’ll have to take a risk - GG are coming stateside soon, maybe that’ll be your chance to try. Or buy a used pair to lower the outlay?

good luck!

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone who may have purchased Decos recently - were the shoe trees still included in the overall price, like they used to be? For the online store, it appears that shoe trees are an extra cost. Thanks!

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sizing question, which is a little ridiculous given I’m on my 6th pair with a 7th on the way. I’m not sure if my feet have gotten bigger as I’ve gotten older or if my preferences have changed, but I’ve long been a 9.0E UK, and am now finding that my 4th and 5th toes are running into the end of the shoe. It’s particularly pronounced on my left foot so I had a 3mm fit piece put into the pinky toe on my incoming MTO, but as I continue to wear my shoes I’m wondering if I just need a half size up. I got one classic range on 9.0 S45 which seems to work well, and which convinced me I’d fix the issue by starting to order F width, but I did that on the Sinatra and on my Urban Commando and while it solves the targeted problem it’s too roomy (except in the commando where I can wear thick boot socks). This is true for the MH71 and TG73 lasts, which is mostly what I have in the 9.0E.

What dimensional change in length and width if I go up half a size? Is the change in width (in mm) less than going up a width (E to F)? I’m starting to think I need something slightly longer than a 9.0 and slightly wider than a 9.0E, but not as wide as a 9.0F. So, 9.5E? Or maybe I need a GG06 with a little extra room on the edges?

fwiw I have a custom last at STC which is magic, based on their 8.5 middle width but with extra room in the 4th and 5th toes. Fantastic shoes but I can’t be a one brand guy. Was hoping I could pick up some St James RTW during the current promo but they need to fit!!

9.0E on Mh71 photo for reference so you can see where I’m creasing (these are 5 years old at this point so there is a lot of fit history in those creases, which as I’ve mentioned may Have changed recently).
There are an enormous amount of variables here - both on the shoe side, and on your personal side. On the shoe side, leathers, lasts, soles and the style (laces or side elastic, oxford or derby) can all play a role. On the personal side, your foot anatomy and weight changes, socks and even time of day can play a role. If you have suddenly woken up to a difference it is often difficult to pinpoint initially, but that photo does seem to me that the fit is quite exact, and likely that you have little room for changes. The first thing to check is can your socks play a role - will a thinner sock give you more room? If not, I would definitely go in and try a size up, maybe a width adjustment too - these shoes don't come cheap. And if you are really a shoe fanatic, it might be well worth thinking about a bespoke - better have one pair of great fitting shoes than 5 ill fitting. I do hope you get things sorted out without too much financial pain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads