• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Might as well get ready tonight for dressing in the dark tomorrow morning....Ealdwine James Boots
IMG_3020.JPG

Mongoose930

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have just made my first Alden purchase and I am looking to get some thoughts on fit. For the past 20+ years, I have pretty much worn Allen Edmonds shoes exclusively. Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Leiden, Neumok to name a few. I was fitted in an AE store as a 10.5 EEE and that is the size I have been buying for the past few decades regardless of last. To be honest, until recently, I did not even know what a “last” was. Through this site, I discovered Rancourt about 5 years ago and I have purchased several pairs of shoes and boots from them. They do not make an EEE, so I have ordered everything in 10.5 EE and everything has fit fine. Some a little snug at first and some a little loose depending on the last and leather type. I just ordered my first pair of shell from them and figured it probably made sense to double check my size. I used their template and on my larger foot, I am just under size 11 and between an E and EE which was a bit surprising. I got similar results using other measuring templates – essentially, my foot was slightly longer and narrower than I thought. Unfortunately, I had already ordered my Aldens from Shoemart. Based on my conversation with the CT store, they suggested 10 EEE. With this new sizing information, I took a chance and ordered Grant Stone Longwing Dune Chromexcel in 10.5 E since the Leo lasts runs large. To my surprise, the shoe fit great in width and length. Maybe a hair snug in the vamp, but in my experience, Chromexcel will stretch slightly in this area. The shoe is comfortable, but the lacing is a little wide. Now to get to my point. Today my Alden’s arrived – Shell 975 LWB. I was sure they would be too short, but when I put them on, they seemed to be perfect from both a width and length standpoint. My only concern is with volume. There seems to be a little more room in the vamp area than I am used to. I am wondering if I should send these back and try a 10 E or a 10.5 EE or should a just keep these and wear slightly thicker socks or put in a thin insert. I do not want to take them for a serious walk until I decide whether or not I am keeping them. Walking around my living room this afternoon, they felt great – no heel slip, snug (not tight) along the side of my foot, perfect width and length. My only concern is a little space above my foot in the lower part of the vamp. These are not inexpensive shoes, so I wanted to get feedback from the experts. Sorry for the long first post.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have just made my first Alden purchase and I am looking to get some thoughts on fit. For the past 20+ years, I have pretty much worn Allen Edmonds shoes exclusively. Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Leiden, Neumok to name a few. I was fitted in an AE store as a 10.5 EEE and that is the size I have been buying for the past few decades regardless of last. To be honest, until recently, I did not even know what a “last” was. Through this site, I discovered Rancourt about 5 years ago and I have purchased several pairs of shoes and boots from them. They do not make an EEE, so I have ordered everything in 10.5 EE and everything has fit fine. Some a little snug at first and some a little loose depending on the last and leather type. I just ordered my first pair of shell from them and figured it probably made sense to double check my size. I used their template and on my larger foot, I am just under size 11 and between an E and EE which was a bit surprising. I got similar results using other measuring templates – essentially, my foot was slightly longer and narrower than I thought. Unfortunately, I had already ordered my Aldens from Shoemart. Based on my conversation with the CT store, they suggested 10 EEE. With this new sizing information, I took a chance and ordered Grant Stone Longwing Dune Chromexcel in 10.5 E since the Leo lasts runs large. To my surprise, the shoe fit great in width and length. Maybe a hair snug in the vamp, but in my experience, Chromexcel will stretch slightly in this area. The shoe is comfortable, but the lacing is a little wide. Now to get to my point. Today my Alden’s arrived – Shell 975 LWB. I was sure they would be too short, but when I put them on, they seemed to be perfect from both a width and length standpoint. My only concern is with volume. There seems to be a little more room in the vamp area than I am used to. I am wondering if I should send these back and try a 10 E or a 10.5 EE or should a just keep these and wear slightly thicker socks or put in a thin insert. I do not want to take them for a serious walk until I decide whether or not I am keeping them. Walking around my living room this afternoon, they felt great – no heel slip, snug (not tight) along the side of my foot, perfect width and length. My only concern is a little space above my foot in the lower part of the vamp. These are not inexpensive shoes, so I wanted to get feedback from the experts. Sorry for the long first post.
Are the eyelets tabs touching?

Mongoose930

Reaction score
No, plenty of space between them. I probably could have cinched them a little tighter, but I did not want to leave lace marks on the shoes. Even if I had, they would not be close to touching. At least 1/2 inch between them. Since these are shell, I am concerned that if they don't fit properly, I will end up with odd rolls.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, plenty of space between them. I probably could have cinched them a little tighter, but I did not want to leave lace marks on the shoes. Even if I had, they would not be close to touching. At least 1/2 inch between them. Since these are shell, I am concerned that if they don't fit properly, I will end up with odd rolls.
I have lower volume wide feet (11EEE-11.5EE in AE, 11EE-11.5EE Alden, 10.5EEE Carmina, 11.5E Grant Stone). So, I tend to have room above my feet. As long as the shell isn’t really thin, I find that space makes them roll less compared to what I see from a lot of people.

Mongoose930

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, sounds like we have similar types of feet. I think the 10 in Barrie is a perfect length and the width felt great. I was just wondering if I went down one width if it would reduce the empty volume or just squeeze the sides of my feet. Unfortunately, 2 EE is not a common width, so finding a pair to try on will be a challenge. I think dropping to an E would be too much.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, sounds like we have similar types of feet. I think the 10 in Barrie is a perfect length and the width felt great. I was just wondering if I went down one width if it would reduce the empty volume or just squeeze the sides of my feet. Unfortunately, 2 EE is not a common width, so finding a pair to try on will be a challenge. I think dropping to an E would be too much.
Dropping a width might help, but not tons I think. I’d be more bothered by too narrow than too much space above my foot personally.

I see that Moulded Shoe has come out with a tan alpine grain Indy boot on, of course, the modified last -

Does anyone know of any stockist that carries the same makeup but on the Trubalance last?

I hope someone does! Yenni did some years ago, but I was too late to partake

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had similar issues with my chrmxl LWBs. I’m guessing some would disagree with me, but what I did was place a small sized tongue pad in the vamp (stuck it to the roof of the vamp) area to fill in that space and it has worked brilliantly for me over the last six years.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that Moulded Shoe has come out with a tan alpine grain Indy boot on, of course, the modified last -

Does anyone (@mdubs) know of any stockist that carries the same makeup but on the Trubalance last?

If you're a 8, 9, or 9.5, you're in luck:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brogue Warriors PT Boot landed today and I am a fan. A really sleek make that gets me back into Trubalance and neocork. Also fills a hole for me.......

20221230_BlackShell1.jpg
20221230_BlackShell2.jpg
20221230_BlackShell3.jpg

Always a great day when the Green Box lands. One of the few things to make it better is when two lands. These really cool Davis Boots from Yenni landed via @Hisheirness23. I've dealt with him before and he never disappoints....

20221230_SuedeDavisBoot.jpg
20221230_NewBootFamilyShot.jpg

Anyone paying attention knows that I'm in the camp of not sweating the minor stuff when it comes to Alden's rapidly increasing descent into sub-par quality but these boots, as well as some other things, is a little tough to stomach. But this is not just an issue with Alden but the retailer as well. First, a story. A couple of months ago Yenni reached out to me and advised that a very special pair of rares had my name on them but after inspection, the finish was not up to snuff. She voluntarily offered me a $100 off if I still wanted them. I accepted. It took me 5 minutes of intense inspection to find the flaw and I have not noticed it once since wearing them. I've had Adam do the same. I've never received a pair of footwear from Adam where there was a flaw that I didn't know about before they showed up.

Now to these. I did not take a before pic but as soon as I pulled them, as my dearly departed mother would say, Ray Charles could see the uneven finish. The toe of the left boot was a shade of grey that just jumped out at you. It was my hope that a few coats of black polish/cream would do the trick but after 30 minutes, nothing seemed to stick. Fortunately (or not) I have some black dye lying around so I added a really light coat on the defect. If you look really carefully you can see it on the left toe but at least now the uneven is two shades of black rather than getting my Raiders on with black and silver. Well, just like I said a couple of weeks ago my tolerance stops with ripped shell. It also stops when I have to dye my new shells. I mean, c'mon man. That's just over the top.

But I really like the boots and I'm ok with how they turned out. Should have never left the shop. Should have never been shipped to me. But all's well that ends well.

Happy New Year gang! I don't have much of an online presence and I truly enjoy my interactions with my fellow shoe sicko's.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Shawn. I’d definitely ask for a return / refund if you’re not happy. Some retailers don’t bother to open the green box before shipping.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brogue Warriors PT Boot landed today and I am a fan. A really sleek make that gets me back into Trubalance and neocork. Also fills a hole for me.......

View attachment 1873086 View attachment 1873087 View attachment 1873088

Always a great day when the Green Box lands. One of the few things to make it better is when two lands. These really cool Davis Boots from Yenni landed via @Hisheirness23. I've dealt with him before and he never disappoints....

View attachment 1873089 View attachment 1873090

Anyone paying attention knows that I'm in the camp of not sweating the minor stuff when it comes to Alden's rapidly increasing descent into sub-par quality but these boots, as well as some other things, is a little tough to stomach. But this is not just an issue with Alden but the retailer as well. First, a story. A couple of months ago Yenni reached out to me and advised that a very special pair of rares had my name on them but after inspection, the finish was not up to snuff. She voluntarily offered me a $100 off if I still wanted them. I accepted. It took me 5 minutes of intense inspection to find the flaw and I have not noticed it once since wearing them. I've had Adam do the same. I've never received a pair of footwear from Adam where there was a flaw that I didn't know about before they showed up.

Now to these. I did not take a before pic but as soon as I pulled them, as my dearly departed mother would say, Ray Charles could see the uneven finish. The toe of the left boot was a shade of grey that just jumped out at you. It was my hope that a few coats of black polish/cream would do the trick but after 30 minutes, nothing seemed to stick. Fortunately (or not) I have some black dye lying around so I added a really light coat on the defect. If you look really carefully you can see it on the left toe but at least now the uneven is two shades of black rather than getting my Raiders on with black and silver. Well, just like I said a couple of weeks ago my tolerance stops with ripped shell. It also stops when I have to dye my new shells. I mean, c'mon man. That's just over the top.

But I really like the boots and I'm ok with how they turned out. Should have never left the shop. Should have never been shipped to me. But all's well that ends well.

Happy New Year gang! I don't have much of an online presence and I truly enjoy my interactions with my fellow shoe sicko's.
Put some rolls in them toes brother, I think they’ll age very well. Love the plain toe black boots! Jumpers are just classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads