• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Liverano, Florentine tailor

Stugotes

Reaction score
Can we talk about jacket length for a second? While the Armoury and Liverano guys always look stellar in their L&L gear, I kinda suspect it's a look for non-tall people. Are any of the aforementioned taller than 6 feet/1.8m?

I've seen some tall people in L&L and somehow got the impression that the cut/style of the jacket is not ideal for them. I think it's mainly due to the open quarters, but also button stance.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Alden made a comment on the London Lounge that Italian tailors have a hard time fitting taller individuals.....

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Can we talk about jacket length for a second? While the Armoury and Liverano guys always look stellar in their L&L gear, I kinda suspect it's a look for non-tall people. Are any of the aforementioned taller than 6 feet/1.8m?

I've seen some tall people in L&L and somehow got the impression that the cut/style of the jacket is not ideal for them. I think it's mainly due to the open quarters, but also button stance.

I'm 6'6". Picking up my jacket (no trousers) in March.

jedwards

Reaction score
im tall, and I use italian tailors, not had an issue.

On a wider note, I don't think short jackets look good on taller guys, nor very open quarters as it can look toy town-ish. Although both may look good well done well on normal height guys. Just my 2c.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I think the button stance and open quarters would be an issue for short torsos/long legs moreso than absolute height.

aussieboy

Reaction score
Autumn is (finally) here in Sweden, and I got to wear my Liverano tweed again and took a new picture. Quarters are certainly very open (it is a major feature of the Liverano house cut after all), but it was my stance before makng the belt visible. This is more how it normally looks:

But again, I don't have any problem with an exposed waistband or belt. In fact, I'm going back to Florence in October to pick up a couple of more Liveranos
biggrin.gif

This is fantastic.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michael Alden made a comment on the London Lounge that Italian tailors have a hard time fitting taller individuals.....

I think there's at least some truth to this. Two things: first, it's hard to reach/see the client well if he's like three heads taller than you. Comparable to shooting pics from a low angle, proportions will be misrepresented. Not necessarily a problem, but the tailor has to be aware of this and some experience with taller clients is best.
Secondly, many typical Italian stylistic details help to make the suit wearer look taller (think breast pocket placemend, gorge height...). I don't need that and Patrik definitely doesn't. Again, doesn't have to be a problem, but it can.

jedwards

Reaction score
I'm tall.

I think the issue *** can *** be that Italian tailors will often have a preference for ankle-bashers and short jackets - this is not necessarily a new thing either, historically I have seen British documentaries on BBC about Savile Row where those tailors referred to Italian tailors as making jackets which were 'bum freezers' (bum = British word for backside, e.g. the jacket was too short in the British tailors' eyes.)

Now this won't always be the case of course and will vary by tailor, but broadly, the stuff tends to be shorter if we can generalise.

I emphatically do not think short jackets or ankle bashers look good on tall men, it just looks like you can't get stuff to fit you.
Can look good on 'normal' height men if the aesthetic is done well, typically casually.

I prefer my jackets of a fairly classic length on the back, same for the trousers, and if that means I am not the most trendy guy in the room then so be it, but I would hate the opposite with people thinking "the poor guy can't get stuff to fit him well" :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads