• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Liverano, Florentine tailor

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lets not pretend that the only alternative to showing your ankle and half of your lower leg is having your shoes drowning in cloth.

The shortypants thing is a new (and awful) phenomena on either side of the pond. Looks like the offender outgrew his suit.

His leg is slightly bent, and the hem is still grazing the top of his shoe. If he were standing in perfectly straight robopose, his trousers would probably have a very slight break. This is a broadly accepted length both now and throughout the history of tailored clothing.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

His leg is slightly bent, and the hem is still grazing the top of his shoe. If he were standing in perfectly straight robopose, his trousers would probably have a very slight break. This is a broadly accepted length both now and throughout the history of tailored clothing.
Let's discuss. 1) As I've suggested before, I don't want to judge clothes only by what they do or would look like in a robopose. Let's also judge them by what they look like when they're being worn. Doesn't that make sense? To me and non-SF/blogger-nuts, those pants look mis-sized in that shot. That he may be able to hide most of his ankle if he stands a certain way does nothing for me. FWIW count me as skeptical that there would be a slight break unless sagged, I'd expect no break, just lower. 2) His right pant leg managed to graze the tip of the "tongue-equivalent(?)" of his loafer. Not the vamp. His left leg has a gulf of sock between his pants and his shoe. While standing fairly normally. If you're sitting down, pacing, etc, I'm just fine with having your ankle show. But a big gap of sock between your shoe and your pants when you're standing normally even if your leg is a little bent make you look like a rube or otherwise poorly dressed. That it is currently a thing in menswear-blog-land, an abberation that has resulted by necessity from the cumpulsion for super-skinny pants, also does nothing for me. You (plural generalized) don't have to agree with me... but if you weren't sucked into this little sliver of internet style group think you'd realize you're not looking all different-superior, you're looking different-bad.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Let's discuss.

1) As I've suggested before, I don't want to judge clothes only by what they do or would look like in a robopose. Let's also judge them by what they look like when they're being worn. Doesn't that make sense? To me and non-SF/blogger-nuts, those pants look mis-sized in that shot. That he may be able to hide most of his ankle if he stands a certain way does nothing for me.

FWIW count me as skeptical that there would be a slight break unless sagged, I'd expect no break, just lower.

2) His right pant leg managed to graze the tip of the "tongue-equivalent(?)" of his loafer. Not the vamp. His left leg has a gulf of sock between his pants and his shoe. While standing fairly normally.

If you're sitting down, pacing, etc, I'm just fine with having your ankle show. But a big gap of sock between your shoe and your pants when you're standing normally even if your leg is a little bent make you look like a rube or otherwise poorly dressed.

That it is currently a thing in menswear-blog-land, an abberation that has resulted by necessity from the cumpulsion for super-skinny pants, also does nothing for me.

You (plural generalized) don't have to agree with me... but if you weren't sucked into this little sliver of internet style group think you'd realize you're not looking all different-superior, you're looking different-bad.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree on the trouser length.

But there's nothing tight about that suit.

The leg opening of his pants is a little smaller than what might be considered classic for a suit, which is why I assume it's also cut a little shorter as well. The two often go together for practical and stylistic reasons. Otherwise, you'd ruin the clean line of the leg.

Anyway, as I said in my other post -- before I deleted it -- I think dismissing an obviously great fit over of such a minor issue is the kind of idiotic, missing-the-forest-for-the-trees kind of thing that only happens on internet forums. If you want no break on your trousers, they'll often look a little short anyway depending on whether you wear belts or braces, what kind of shoes you have on that day, and how you're positioned. Chogall criticized yfyf's fit for the same thing, which made me wonder if he's ever had experience with pants at all.

Jake looks great in that photo. Considerably better than most people on here, and I would bet much better than archetypical_yuppie.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree on the trouser length.

Yay!

But there's nothing tight about that suit.

I almost agree. I think the legs don't need to be that tapered, such that you have such a small hole at the bottom that you end up with either bunching or high-water nonsense. "Too tight" might not be the right words, maybe "too skinny" would be better.

Since we're on the topic of tightness, the two lower buttons on vest being unbuttoned looks a little weird/sloppy and makes it look like it might be too tight. But I assume it gets a pass here due to sprezz.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, as I said in my other post -- before I deleted it -- I think dismissing an obviously great fit over of such a minor issue is the kind of idiotic, missing-the-forest-for-the-trees kind of thing that only happens on internet forums.

This is just a difference of opinion. I don't think it's minor. I think it takes something otherwise great and ruins it.

Jake looks great in that photo. Considerably better than most people on here, and I would bet much better than archetypical_yuppie.

You have 0.0% basis for making a judgment on him vs. me, but if it makes you feel better to think so, then enjoy yourself.

DutchW

Reaction score
Probably both, but maybe even more (like their store). To my knowledge they all seem rather young and are representing a somewhat conservative tailored clothing aesthetic. I think it looks great and I hope it influences and excites other young people like it has for me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhormonetherapy