• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Italian Travel Thread

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll help start it off.
This is when I first checked in and was seeing what our view was.
If you exit the square to the right, you're staring at the Duomo.
1610324273708.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When were you there last? Awesome location. We used to stay at Montebello Splendid, but started staying closer to Piazza Della Republica last few times..

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When were you there last? Awesome location. We used to stay at Montebello Splendid, but started staying closer to Piazza Della Republica last few times..
Spring 2019. If you remember, that was when the new scare was measles, lol.
Every time someone would cough or sneeze, we'd kick each other and mumble "measles".
I really liked that square, because it was on the edge of town opposite the river. So anyone up there was over at the Accademia, and by the afternoon, it was always really mellow and uncrowded. But it was a 30 second walk to get right back into the thick of things.
Boboli Gardens:
1610326926124.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, the closer access matters. There as a time when that walk along the river at the end of the night was fine, but we started visiting during winter months and tired of the cold. There was an interesting Mexican restaurant of all things near that part of town that was surprisingly good! Another place I haven’t been though (Boboli), great photo. We always do the balcony shot too to memorialize the view haha

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure we ate at the Mexican restaurant.
I also had sushi in Rome.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somebody needs to post something election related to get this thread back on track :lol:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've been to Florence but I can recommend Cibrero, Il Teatro and Sostanza. You have to go to have trippa in the market (Nerbone?) at least once. Da Mario used to be the bistecca place to go to, but I think there's probably tons of good steak restaurants in Florence. On my bucket list was to stay in the lux apartments on the banks of the Arno. There was one run by a fashion house, Lungarno? Again, this was a long time ago.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've been to Florence but I can recommend Cibrero, Il Teatro and Sostanza. You have to go to have trippa in the market (Nerbone?) at least once. Da Mario used to be the bistecca place to go to, but I think there's probably tons of good steak restaurants in Florence. On my bucket list was to stay in the lux apartments on the banks of the Arno. There was one run by a fashion house, Lungarno? Again, this was a long time ago.
I almost barfed just looking at the trippa.
I bought my kid a pair of gloves at Madova, and asked for a good locals restaurant for lunch. She sent us to 4 Leoni in the Oltrarno, and I had the best Carciofi alla Romana I've ever had in my life.
Tried to make it here when I got home.
Impossible.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quattro Leoni yes. I can't remember if we actually got to eat there but it was on our list.

We stayed in Oltrano during our last visit, and it was only on the Saturday evening that I noticed the Roberto Ugolini shop on the way back to our apartment. Alas the next day was a Sunday and we were moving on Monday.

A couple of years ago, one of the recurring travelling conferences that I attend was meant to be held in the Palazzo. I was pretty much signed up on the spot but wondered how they'd managed to keep costs down. And as expected, 6 months prior they moved it to the airport Marriott in Rome. I decided to stay in downtown Rome, got a nice half price offer on hotels.com for Hotel De' Ricci which was very nice. I attended the conference for one day, getting a taxi there and back. Best decision ever.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That trip I was in Florence for 5 days, and Rome for 10.
I booked an apartment in Rome, right on Campo de Fiori. The apartment was awesome, and it was near the rear courtyard so we got none of the night time noise.
Best location for walkers like us.
20 minute walk one way was the Coliseum, 20 minutes the other way was the Vatican.
Everything else was closer.
Best part was every morning stumbling out the front door and getting a doppio at Roscioli's, walking around the little pocket park right next to it, and then grabbing a succo d'arancia at the Campo market for the kid who was still in bed.
Then we would just walk along the river ( those trees!! ) and simply hang a right turn when we needed to get to whatever we were seeing that day. We were right next to the cat sanctuary too, which she had us go to every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads