• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to build Italian Casual-wear Wardrobe for Upcoming Italy Trip

Invader_Zim

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New member here, first post on the forum and excited to be here.

I'm heading back to Italy this May for the first time since the pandemic era, and I'm looking to get out of the traditional "American style" I've usually been wearing and pivot into some more Italian style clothing.

My wardrobe is predominantly PRL (direct from the RL site) and Brooks Brothers, although PRL has definitely overtaken BB as the quality of the latter seems to be declining (can't believe the BB polos are only 96% cotton now, and I was shocked to see they use the same Irish linen as JCrew even though BB traditionally has been marketed as a higher-end brand). Mentioning this to give a baseline understanding of the quality of materials I'm currently accustomed to.

My upcoming trip will be spent predominantly in Tuscany/Umbria, so I am focused on linens. Think I can get away from my PRL in Rome and not look too out-of-placed. I'm looking principally for staples - nice muted colors, pieces that can be used interchangeably to maximize usage. Not sure if it's necessarily helpful to mention but I'm about 5'11" and ~155lbs so looking more a more tailed fit.

I've spent many hours already perusing through this forum and google searching, and I've landed on 2 brands that have piqued my interest and fall within my price range:
  • Luca Faloni
  • Pini Parma
I'm wondering if this forum can offer any advice on these brands and what I could expect coming from PRL/BB? I am in the US so unfortunately I can't try anything on before ordering, although it seems these brands offer very generous return policies so I can try on different sizes without worrying. Also would love to know if there are any other brands in this price range I should check out? Also looking for a pair or two of Italian loafers, any advice is appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Just went to Italy last summer with my wife and six month old, albeit southern italy. it was hot as a bastard, so I mostly wore shorts and shirts, but I did manage to break out my Orazio Luciano sports jacket and Isaia linen jacket. after that, I really just tried to beat the heat, lol.

that said, it shouldn't be hot like it would be in the mid-summer, so you shouldn't have to rely exclusively on linens. And specific to your question, I don't have any experience with either brand, but you might want to scope out Natalino and The Anthology as well. Similar vibes and price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads