• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Denar78

Reaction score
IMG_7514.jpeg

Shannon’s at work today.

Denar78

Reaction score
Anyone has experience with the 136 last? church’s official website says they recommend to take half size down. Is this true?
I have the Oslo and indeed half size down from my regular size (Consul for example). 136 is one of their nicer lasts IMO.

Last edited:

Denar78

Reaction score
More detail on the Church’s lay off from the Northampton newspaper; a reduction of about 50 at the Northampton factory, after a prior, earlier, 2023 reduction of 15-20. Current staff is about 120, down 33%, from 175-180 at the start of the year. Ex-employee said the factory once employed 400, so current workforce is down 70% from that peak.

Prada sales overall are up strongly. Their annual report stresses their companywide strategy of vertical integration, which includes an emphasis on sales through company owned stores. With the covid/casualization drops in sales of dress shoes, Church’s traditional strength, this left a high fixed cost overhang resulting in disproportionate losses when volume fell.

So they desperately needed to quickly increase revenue and then took the 2021 pricing increase that brought their flagship model prices to about $1000, well above comparable quality English offerings such as C & J. They had previously been priced at a premium, but close level, to competitors such as Cheaney and C & J.

The pricing increase has not stemmed the losses and has eroded the brand’s competitive position.

I am sure there are other factors. SF in general, and the Church’s thread in particular, tends to blame Prada. That may be rightfully so, per the above, from a business strategy POV.

My sense on their traditional dress shoe segment (my personal interest in the brand) is that quality has remained good. And there is no reason it shouldn’t have. They were/are still manufactured in England, by an experienced work force, in their long-time factory, presumably with the traditional capital equipment.

I think it is fair to say that their attempts to expand outside that segment have not been successful, or they would not be in these difficulties.

What is the sense in England? It’s hard to get a good feel from 6000 miles away in California.
I’d say they should get over their polishedbinder obsession. It’s a heritage brand, not a fashion brand and should be positioned as such.

Last edited:

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
I love my Church's McFarland 133 G 7UK boots but unfortunately half a size too small for me (it fitted just fine in the store at the time) should have stayed with 7,5 UK G like my 1st pair. Compared to Cheaney boots these look way more refined.
Last year while trying a pair of Dinkelacker boots the sales person couldn't stop talking about how the british understand how to make a boot while looking at my Mcfarlands.

PM if interested.
View attachment 2104649
These are now for sale in the buy section here https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/churchs-mcfarlane-boot-7uk.37843/

SartUsurper

Reaction score
I just came into possession of these nice pair of New Custom Church's Last 73 Chetwynd's. I am trying to find out the approx year they were made but can only narrow it down to between 1980 and 1999. Hoping for some more insight. Debating whether to keep them as they are quite tight.

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 244

shoefan57

Reaction score
I just came into possession of these nice pair of New Custom Church's Last 73 Chetwynd's. I am trying to find out the approx year they were made but can only narrow it down to between 1980 and 1999. Hoping for some more insight. Debating whether to keep them as they are quite tight.
Certainly not any time in the 1990s and I think not the ‘80s either, given the straw coloured box, so I’d say the 1970s. Lovely shoes btw

SartUsurper

Reaction score
Certainly not any time in the 1990s and I think not the ‘80s either, given the straw coloured box, so I’d say the 1970s. Lovely shoes btw
Thank you for the reply. I just came across a picture containing the 'straw' box style from 1981. Would love to have access to all those classic last 73's. Debating on whether to let them go as I bought them without proper measurements and they are 1 size too small. Any idea of what they could fetch?
london-footwear.jpg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I just came across a picture containing the 'straw' box style from 1981. Would love to have access to all those classic last 73's. Debating on whether to let them go as I bought them without proper measurements and they are 1 size too small. Any idea of what they could fetch?
london-footwear.jpg
In the 80s and even late 70s they began using the blue and white boxes so maybe that 1981 picture is of older boxes but it matters not. Abbots shoes are a good option for reselling your shoes and are easily found online. They give a fair price. Otherwise I only know of eBay and Etsy.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very, very nice shoes

Denar78

Reaction score
Hi all, I just snapped up these beauties for a song (ie more like for a poem which doesn’t even rhyme).

These are Consuls on the 73 last.

Would anyone have an idea on the year of manufacturing, based on the box or the shoe itself?

Thanks in advance

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7704.jpeg
    IMG_7704.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 212

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily