• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CM combinations and silhouettes constructive improvement thread

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
@GoldenBrahms, I was thinking something in red, blue, or maybe brown would look good, not necessarily large stripes, but maybe something like these:

Something with medallions should work too.

Thanks for the examples - I can definitely see a few that would work well. May have to add some similar ones to my collection. I have a vintage Talbot similar to the 3rd from the right.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Crispyj out of all the the tailors that you have tried so far, which one do you feel works best for your body type. In regards to both overall comfort and silhouette?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Crispyj out of all the the tailors that you have tried so far, which one do you feel works best for your body type. In regards to both overall comfort and silhouette?
As you can see, most of the orders are being finished 😅 . I'll have a definitive answer once I receive the jackets.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@BlueSteel and @Jmr928 There's a few pics of comrade in the old SF meetup threads, such as here (beard).

@GoldenBrahms, I was thinking something in red, blue, or maybe brown would look good, not necessarily large stripes, but maybe something like these:
View attachment 1874838
Something with medallions should work too.

This is a good point. I don't think the tie doesn't work there. I just don't like checked ties in general.

Btw, I was thinking of one style preference I have that's related to @Jmr928's point about responding to one's body type. Since I'm fairly thin, I tend to prefer rounded lines: patch pockets, lapels with some belly, curved quarters, and natural shoulders. (so, convex? Maybe you could explain more, @Despos. I remember this old thread by @jefferyd, but I never thought natural or knocked down shoulders affected movement or comfort.) I think they soften fairly angular appearance. And I think jackets like that make one look a little more approachable, more sweater than suit of armor.
If you read Jeffery's post closely he explains that natural and knocked down don't refer to the shoulder but how the sleeve head is finished.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why higher gorge and wider lapels? The proportions are pretty good on the guy.

Doesn't he just needs to remove the paddings in his shoulders?

Sure, the padding could be reduced.I just like higher gorge and wider lapels.

msimon

Reaction score
What's the consensus on shirt fits for summer?. Do you use your same shirt size for all types or do you perhaps take a linen shirt but make the midsection larger for more flow during hot weather?.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus on shirt fits for summer?. Do you use your same shirt size for all types or do you perhaps take a linen shirt but make the midsection larger for more flow during hot weather?.
Questions such as these are more appropriately posted here.

Let’s please try to reserve this thread for it’s intended purpose found in the title of discussing improvement utilizing various silhouettes and combinations.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Questions such as these are more appropriately posted here.

Let’s please try to reserve this thread for it’s intended purpose found in the title of discussing improvement utilizing various silhouettes and combinations.

1672937563501.gif

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you read Jeffery's post closely he explains that natural and knocked down don't refer to the shoulder but how the sleeve head is finished.

This is actually very interesting. In his example, all of the shoulders were identical and the only difference was the sleevehead expression. Depending on how the sleevehead is expressed it can create an overall illusion of width/extension (roped/rollino) and narrow roundness (bald/spalla camicia).

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for the examples - I can definitely see a few that would work well. May have to add some similar ones to my collection. I have a vintage Talbot similar to the 3rd from the right.
That one is an old Talbot! Probably the same tie. The red looks brighter in the pic than in person.
Yeah, I first wrote something about it being the sleeve head in that thread, despite its title. But that was the quickest thing I could find having anything to do with convex and concave shoulders. And I remember that you've mentioned it a few times, and I've never quite understood it. Could you pease explain what you mean about concave or convex shoulders? Maybe a picture could show the difference? GoldenBrahms's jacket's shoulders, for example, looked convex to me. So I'm guessing I'm missing something, and would really appreciate it if you could educate me on it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please. Because all I can imagine with those measurements and weight walking around in a 56 is this
View attachment 1874732
OK. Here are some pics of me at the SF 10th Anniversary Party 10 years ago.
At the time I weighed 170-175. I am wearing a Belvest cashmere blazer from
Wilkes-Bashford size 54 with (ugh !) extended shoulders. My trousers are
bespoke from a now-retired no name tailor in San Francisco. On my left is SF member
"archivist" Mark. I have no photos handy of the one 56R I own. It is also Belvest from
Berdorf about12 years ago.
7cf676dc_SFP_2104.jpeg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another shot of same jacket: View attachment 1875126
Thanks. Definitely helpful to be able to see instead of just hearing numbers thrown together. With the silhouette - I think it would be super interesting to hear what you were after with the decisions on sizing, cut, details etc and why/how they work with your body etc.

If I recall you also had gone bespoke with Rubi? Did you notice the fit being a significant departure from your RTW stuff given it’s a departure from their house style? Or did you steer them down a similar path?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
putseller96