• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is why I asked about sizing. The R sizes resemble S', and the Ls resemble Rs.

Might just order the L as I generally don't like shorter jackets.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is why I asked about sizing. The R sizes resemble S', and the Ls resemble Rs.

Might just order the L as I generally don't like shorter jackets.

Hmm, not really. Not for my size, at least. 43R/44R is 30" from bottom of collar. That's exactly what I would expect it to be.

Are you abnormally thin for your height? :confused:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm talking about the boc measurement on the tuxedos. The boc on a 38r Benjamin tux is around 28'.

I usually wear jackets with a boc of 30 or 30.5', which I find is a more traditional/conservative length. I've seen some Caruso suits in 38R with 29' BOC, but not 28'.

Either way, I'm tempted to buy one from Ben. They're a great value.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The length on the 38Ls are more like a 38R/S.

That's a bit harsh. There's no way as a 38S that I'd wear a 30.25" length jacket. It's on the high-end of R, certainly not R/S.

I'm talking about the boc measurement on the tuxedos. The boc on a 38r Benjamin tux is around 28'.

I usually wear jackets with a boc of 30 or 30.5', which I find is a more traditional/conservative length. I've seen some Caruso suits in 38R with 29' BOC, but not 28'.

Either way, I'm tempted to buy one from Ben. They're a great value.

othertravel I'm not sure where you see 28" BOC on the 38R - it says/is 29".

Current trends are definitely shorter than perhaps a "classic" length. The Benjamin line is designed such that it still completely covers the seat, which to me is sufficient in length. Some people prefer a longer skirt - I personally do not and thus design the clothing as such. Like any designer, my clothing is not for everyone. That being said I do appreciate everyone's input whether positive or constructive.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a bit harsh. There's no way as a 38S that I'd wear a 30.25" length jacket. It's on the high-end of R, certainly not R/S.

Ideally:

38S is like 29
38R is like 30.5
38L is like 31.5

I'd save give half an inch for a more conservative length. Take half an inch for a more "modern" length.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ideally:

38S is like 29
38R is like 30.5
38L is like 31.5

I'd save give half an inch for a more conservative length. Take half an inch for a more "modern" length.

That seems a little on the long side for a 38. The measurements for the L and R you gave are consistent with what I tend to see in 42's.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

No, not this time around... sorry...

Shucks.

Do you think it would be permissable to buy a navy suit and turn the jacket into an odd jacket by changing the buttons (to a brown or smoky gray horn)?

I need a new navy sportcoat and the Benjamin fit is just perfect for me.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shucks.

Do you think it would be permissable to buy a navy suit and turn the jacket into an odd jacket by changing the buttons (to a brown or smoky gray horn)?

I've done it more than once....

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shucks.

My opinion is that if the material has some texture to it (something like hopsack, birdseye or nailhead), the shoulders aren't too structured, and you change the buttons to mid brown horn, it would probably be acceptable to wear it alone as an odd jacket. Definitely wouldn't do this if it was a smooth worsted wool, though. Also, I strongly prefer patch pockets (hip) for an odd jacket, but there are plenty of sport coats with flap pockets.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ideally:

38S is like 29
38R is like 30.5
38L is like 31.5

I'll have to post some pics of me wearing various lengths when I get a chance this week and we can do some side-by-side comparisons.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Shucks.

I personally feel it is less than ideal, but you would be far from the fist to do this with the Benjamin navy suit jackets.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, gents. I'll probably keep searching for a true sport coat a bit longer. If one doesn't present before the first of the year, I'll snatch the Benjamin and do a conversion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics