1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

No watch can be everything to everyone. As for the SS versions being unsubstantial...I don't know what that is in reference to? Is that in reference to weight or feel of the bracelet? If so the bracelets on older steel models used hollow center links and a stamped steel clasp. The bracelets are vastly improved with solid links through out and a machined clasp. But again...hey if its not for you, no big deal. There are lots of other watches on the market.

3. Keller

Keller Well-Known Member

I love the Daytona in white dial and steel, brown leather strap. I think this conbination works really well in the Daytona

4. suaviter

suaviter Well-Known Member

For the first time in a long time (since last December), I have an INCOMING!!

Very excited as I've waited patiently .... I'll show you guys as soon as she's on the wrist next week. :)

4 people like this.
  5. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Any hints?

6. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Story of my life.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Which new oyster?

It really is subjective and as Dino said, not one watch can be perfect for everyone. To me, it just works. It wears much smaller than the 40mm case so it fits me just about perfect. Weight is nice too, not as heavy as the Submariner but those solid links really make the watch feel robust. The gold and platinum version feels even more hefty with their weight. The overall package including the lighter weight makes it a great daily wearer, much easier to dress up and down than most would think.

Most say the Sub is the best choice if you want to have that one and only Rolex for your life (and the most versatile) but to me it is the Daytona for the exact reasons I listed.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  8. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

That's because it's actually 38.5mm. [​IMG]

9. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

???

10. no frills

Take a caliper and measure it around the case at 10 and 4. Don't include the Chrono pushers. Voila. 38.5mm.

To be fair the modern SubC TRF 114270 is 40.5mm using the same method.

@Belligero measured the Daytona and the Sub using a caliper somewhere in Europe, and I confirmed the same results at Wempe in NYC, shocking two SAs who did the measuring for me. Now you know why it wears smaller than 40mm. It IS smaller than 40mm.

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Congrats Suaviter - can't wait to see it.

12. suaviter

40mm .... it will make Dino happy .... NOT a Jumbo (yet [​IMG]) ....

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

^ 40 or 38.5??

@RFX45, nice wrist shots of the Daytona. Hope you get the chance to take some similar ones with the OP.

14. suaviter

40. And dang those pics of the black Daytona ... stunning ... it's amazing how certain watches get stuck in your head over time - that was one I seriously considered for this iteration but couldn't double up as I have a Speedy.

For those who want to keep guessing, here's the current collection (chronologically):

PAM 1860
    Omega Seamaster (vintage 1960s)
    Rolex Datejust 16220
    Omega Speedmaster 3572.50

Let's just say the new guy fits me as I sometimes (often?) I act like a tool ... [​IMG]

Once again, thanks to TWAT for sending me down the vortex two years ago. I'm also taking advice of many to get this watch buying out of the way before I'm tied down with a SO and kids.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I would guess that you're safely down the vortex to at least 300m...maybe even 4000 feet?

16. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Hallo. Nothing like spending a Sunday in the office. At least I have good company...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. no frills

Fantastic pics stitchy!!!!

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

deets on Patek, stitchy?

19. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Thanks, frilly!

H - 5022J in YG. :drool:

20. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your new arrival posted here soon. You owe us some wrist shots [​IMG]

Love the dial on that one, just wish it didn't have those weak soldered lugs that can easily be snapped off if it accidentally gets banged against a door frame or other solid item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.