• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I just looked at the selections. I can see they know their target market i.e. posers! So much show, but there are literally one or two out of every watch there, that I would actually want if I had the money. And the most obvious pick is the Sub, or maybe the JLC - both in the cheaper collection. That's not to say any or all of the others are not good. It's just they are so much less beautiful than others in their price range - just more noticeable.

I'm sure they'll do great. Plenty of guys wanting to wave a gold Hublot at the other brokers.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is a grey dealer?

dealers that sell brands BNIB that they are not authorized dealers for. they usually buy overstock from ADs around the globe who have a hard time moving things and need to sell to maintain their numbers so they dont loose the line. stuff like that.

officially the brands do not like or allow this, but on some level, i think everyone benefits. maybe, idk, hard to say, and there are pretty staunch positions on both sides.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
CTLION: definitely what stichy said....try to find an AD to check out Reversos in person. Sounds like with your wrist size, a Duo would be just what the doctor ordered.

Also, stitchy just gave a decent summary about what gray dealers are, but I would add that some are more respected than others. I won't name any names here, but many offer their own warranties (since they can't offer the manufacturers') and there are definitely plenty of happy customers out there, although I've never purchased from a gray myself.

Now.....renting watches: I just can't see it. There may be a market for that, but ... I.... just. Can't. See it. (Not for me, at least. It would be like renting a tux. Prefer to buy.)

Dino: really enjoyed your dinner photos there a couple pages ago. Great VC. You should post more pics!

On the subject of Cellinis, there have been a few that I admired in the case, but none of them ever looked great on my wrist. And like many, I would still favor Rolex for sport watches rather than dress. YMMV.

Warren G: welcome back.

Either way this **** is crack. We are doomed.

QFT, mimo.

Back to the office grind and wearing this today:

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Keith! Good to see ya back!

very cool idea, but for ballers only i think. even at 450 a month that is 5400 a year. you get get a nice 5 figure watch pre owned for that. but i guess if you like a lot of variety, dont want to deal with buying and selling, or just need for looks in common baller company... its a very nice service.

if i was rollin, i would definitely consider, depending on the selection.

Haha I was offered membership for this one. Fun. But +1 to your point about actually spending so much on an annual basis that you'll end up paying out as much as it would cost you to own a great piece. Guess it really caters to the need for diversity, if you're that type.

As to mimo's point - well, yeah. If their most impressive pieces are on display via their website then it's not for me. Or for many TWAT members I think. Aesthetically, not just in terms of affordability.

They will, however, probably do ok with their target market I think.

Today - boring white shirt, solid navy suit. 3940P on navy strap:

uge5a2av.jpg

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keith : great watch man! Reminds me of one of my favorite Hamilton, the Boulton.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Keith! Good to see ya back!
Haha I was offered membership for this one. Fun. But +1 to your point about actually spending so much on an annual basis that you'll end up paying out as much as it would cost you to own a great piece. Guess it really caters to the need for diversity, if you're that type.

As to mimo's point - well, yeah. If their most impressive pieces are on display via their website then it's not for me. Or for many TWAT members I think. Aesthetically, not just in terms of affordability.

They will, however, probably do ok with their target market I think.

uge5a2av.jpg

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Lovely 3940!!! Beside the 3970/5970, that is my favorite PP hands down. :slayer::embar:

i would go for a nice gold reverso of the models you mentioned. some of the cellinis are small iirc, make sure to try on first if you go that way. hard to argue with a gold pres. great faking watch.
dont be a wimp. wear that bad boy proud!!

thanks for the kind words, bill. very glad we have behaved well. enjoy the watch!!!

x2!!!

The NYC GTG sounds pretty fun. Also please don't forget to take some pics :foo:

Most of the Cellinis are pretty small. Top of my head, I believe the Danaos XL is the largest at 38mm (perfect size imo).

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lovely 3940!!! Beside the 3970/5970, that is my favorite PP hands down. :slayer::embar:

For you:

qy2uvy9u.jpg

Need some lotion. Cold weather.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice tie, frilly.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my favorite watch of yours Frills. Absolutely stunning on the blue strap. It is such a beautiful PC. It is not easy to convey so much information in such a clean manner.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cartier Crash is so incredibly cool. I showed it to a lady friend who is interested in watches... she did NOT get it at all.
I Love the Crash watch. I just wish it were a bit larger. Mrs. Dino, loves the Crash watch design. I think if we found the right one, she would pull the trigger on it.

I like the Reverso but I have not located a shop that carries them around me. I prefer to try on every watch I am considering. I would lean toward the Reverso with the double sided time piece...black face/white face.

Either way I will go through a dealer.
Definitely try the Reverso on. It does not have a curved back so different models fit people differently. My friend owned a rose gold manual wind Reverso Sun/Moon, and he liked it but he said it never sat flat enough on his wrist to be comfortable, so he sold it. However, he recently bought an ultra flat Reverso Rouge and adores it and he says it fits his wrist better. I love the Reverso, if it fits you well, its a fantastic watch and you won't see lots of other people with the same watch.

I just looked at the selections. I can see they know their target market i.e. posers! So much show, but there are literally one or two out of every watch there, that I would actually want if I had the money. And the most obvious pick is the Sub, or maybe the JLC - both in the cheaper collection. That's not to say any or all of the others are not good. It's just they are so much less beautiful than others in their price range - just more noticeable.

I'm sure they'll do great. Plenty of guys wanting to wave a gold Hublot at the other brokers.
I agree, looks like a great deal for posers. For what it costs to "rent' these watches, in the course of a year or two I could only a very nice watch. Sure I won't be swapping out watches and looking like I have a never ending variety. However, I'd rather have one or two very good pieces that are mine, rather than simply having access to a bunch of watches that I'm paying to borrow.

Now.....renting watches: I just can't see it. There may be a market for that, but ... I.... just. Can't. See it. (Not for me, at least. It would be like renting a tux. Prefer to buy.)

Dino: really enjoyed your dinner photos there a couple pages ago. Great VC. You should post more pics!

On the subject of Cellinis, there have been a few that I admired in the case, but none of them ever looked great on my wrist. And like many, I would still favor Rolex for sport watches rather than dress. YMMV.

Back to the office grind and wearing this today:

+1 on renting watches...renting clothes or accessories is something I associate with bowling shoes.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed my photos.

As for the Cellinis, I thought they were interesting when I initially saw photos, but when I had an opportunity to see them in person and consider their cost, well I'd rather have a Sport Rolex or if I needed a dress watch...hello JLC, Piaget, Cartier etc...

Looking sharp Keith, great looking Gruen. Thanks for sharing a photo.

Dino - Very interesting VC. You are the TWAT non-round watch reference guide. The melting watch from a month or two ago (Cartier?) was an interesting piece as well.
Thanks pal. Yes, the Crash watch is a very cool piece, and pretty rare. I've only seen one in person in recent years.

uge5a2av.jpg

I like the purple socks (looks like a herring bone pattern) and the tie too!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Those Boultons look great Warren! Unfortunately, I think Hamilton is currently offering a quartz version only.

The Curvex is quite small by today's standards but I wear it probably at least once every 2-3 weeks.

And I go through stages, but my favorite Frilly watch of late would have to be the Nautilus LOL.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice tie, frilly.

Thanks stitchy. It's Hermes but it doesn't fricking scream "look at me, HERMES!" None of the big "H" patterns. Check this out: from afar it looks solid purple, but up close you see the subtle patterns in red, blue and purple. Then you look even closer (bottom right hand side) and oh okay there's the "H." Quite like it.

6ytuge8y.jpg

That is my favorite watch of yours Frills. Absolutely stunning on the blue strap. It is such a beautiful PC. It is not easy to convey so much information in such a clean manner.

Is that your vote on what I should have on my wrist when we meet for lunch at the NY GTG?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I go through stages, but my favorite Frilly watch of late would have to be the Nautilus LOL.

You mean this little baby?

a2u4ehad.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is that your vote on what I should have on my wrist when we meet for lunch at the NY GTG?

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not used to voting. But if I am allowed to cast a vote, it certainly is :).

And I thought it was Hermes, the printed label on the back is a dead give-a-way. I have a couple Hermes ties, and I really, really enjoy them. They tie a great knot, and the silk is great. The more tasteful patterned ones (like yours) are really well made ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads