• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Just to update the 15 or so guys here who've ordered my watch :slayer:, I have excellent news! The Manufactory confirmed this morning that all 100 pieces of the Imperial First Series have been fully completed, and are now undergoing testing and inspection before delivery to me.

Looks like the Imperials will be in time for the TWAT NYC meeting on the 19th :slayer: Can' wait!

The prototype Celadon Leather Watch Case was completed yesterday and looks very, very impressive in the flesh. It is of quite imposing dimensions and provides a secure and beautiful frame for the watch, even as a display piece.

Please contact me also if you wish to commission a bespoke watch strap and have this delivered together with your Imperial(s),

Standby for updates for the Imperials as soon as I hear them... :D

In other news, been meaning to post the rest of my Watches&Wonders photos on here (already posted half of the Vacheron booth photos a few weeks ago), but my darn computer died on me last week. Hang in there while I get some pics up soon. Am heading to SIHH next month too and visiting several watch factories (including one producing stuff for my Swiss brand) and will definitely give you all some drool-worthy material then.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the kind words about our little sub-forum. I have said this many times, but I think it deserves repeating--money really should not be a bar to enjoying excellent, finely made timepieces. I think that everything is worth discussion, and there are many horologically interesting pieces that are in the affordable category that deserve to be praised. I am glad you have felt welcome here. I look forward to your participation. I haven't acquired a watch in almost a year now, but I still stop in here every day to at least keep up with what is going on. I think picking up this Seiko was a wise move, because now you can really determine what speaks to you, and what you want out of a watch.

I hope you enjoy your new watch. And... we better see some pictures!

Wow great news! Congratulations, that is a very large accomplishment for you and your brand. I can't wait to see some pictures. As always I wish your brand the best, it is great to have you part of this community!

So now you guys know what watch I'll be wearing to NYC.

Nice! I am really excited to see it. I think I will likely bring my Speedmaster. Traveling with my MUT Moon makes me a little nervous :embar:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Figured it be more interesting to see something a little different, plus, it's not like I have Frilly's collection to choose from...

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally caught up from the Holiday weekend here in TWAT-land.

Bill - Congrats on the pick up. Even though it is a Seiko, you put a lot of time into the decision which is always applauded here.

Warren G - Great looking Tudor and GMT!

Frilly - Instagram before TWAT spoils the surprise. I need to start looking here first!

Dino - Very interesting VC. You are the TWAT non-round watch reference guide. The melting watch from a month or two ago (Cartier?) was an interesting piece as well.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dino - Very interesting VC.  You are the TWAT non-round watch reference guide.  The melting watch from a month or two ago (Cartier?) was an interesting piece as well.

The Cartier Crash is so incredibly cool. I showed it to a lady friend who is interested in watches... she did NOT get it at all.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Not a lot of Cellini love out there, that is true. But I did own one is rose gold and it is one of the few of my departed pieced that I would really love to have back.
medium800.jpg
Were I buying a gold Chopard, it would not be the Mille Miglia. I'd look at somethig like the LUC XPS

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have narrowed down my search for my next watch.
In no particular order:
1) Rolex President Gold with a brown alligator leather band
2) Rolex Cellini Gold watch on brown alligator leather band
3) Chopard Gold Mille Miglia on brown leather band

My thoughts...I like gold but don't want it to be overbearing with an all gold band. I imagine my last two choices won't be popular. The Cellini is not a popular watch for. Rolex, but I like the clean slate. The Chopard has been appealing for some time. Finally the gold President looks fantastic on a solid leather band.
Essentially I need a watch for my brown shoes.

Ultimately I think I will pick one of these three and then go for something sporty next time around.

My runner ups include:
1) Rolex Submariner- I tried one on today. It is beautiful but I would lose the steel band.
2) Jaeger Reverso - clean and classic
3) Omega Speedmaster Moon Phase

i would go for a nice gold reverso of the models you mentioned. some of the cellinis are small iirc, make sure to try on first if you go that way. hard to argue with a gold pres. great faking watch.

I think I will likely bring my Speedmaster. Traveling with my MUT Moon makes me a little nervous :embar:

dont be a wimp. wear that bad boy proud!!

---

thanks for the kind words, bill. very glad we have behaved well. enjoy the watch!!!

CTLION

Reaction score
I think my wrist maxes out at 40mm. And to be quite frank a 36mm seems to look best. My current Rolex and the next watch will still be worn 90% of the time with a suit. I tried on the Rolex Sub yesterday and it was quite bulky with my suit. I am sure I could come around to it.

I like the Reverso but I have not located a shop that carries them around me. I prefer to try on every watch I am considering. I would lean toward the Reverso with the double sided time piece...black face/white face.

Either way I will go through a dealer.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FIND A JLC AD THAT HAS MAOR REVERSOS!!!!

what size are the cellinis you are looking onto? also, not sure this matters to you, but the cillinis are a much harder resell ime.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm just wanting to issue one more 'Thanks' before I stop calling attention to my $64 purchase. The week I spent looking at Joma, Chrono24, EBay, directories and this forum looking for a watch was pretty much spent on the couch next to my GF the social worker. She 'somehow' picked up on my interest in a watch and would have put the Junghans on her Mastercard if I had let her. Instead, bearing in mind her Social Worker's salary I let her spring for the Seiko and for her to see the 'Congrats' coming from guys who own watches worth a year and a half of her income really made her happy.

As appreciated as it has been by me to be able to make use of your collective perspective and as much as I've considered the suggestions and enjoyed the feedback... I've shown her the comments through the thread about this simple little Seiko and where the heavy hitters of the thread might have very easily been watch-snobs you guys have instead been wonderfully welcoming and inclusive and along the way managed to affirm my girlfriend's Christmas gift to me, which is really sort of a sweet little thing when you think about it.

I just thought I'd pass it along that your positive comments and welcoming attitude over such a minor watch have made the afternoon (at least) of a very very nice person. She read through the last couple of pages of TWAT (ahem) and was impressed by the positive energy and sense of community here.

Again, I thank you guys,
-Bill

I loved this note and especially enjoyed that you like the TWAT community. It's no coincidence that many crazy smart guys (whom I've gotten to know personally, because they're crazy cool people too) frequent TWAT far more often now than any other watch forum. Good peeps here (except for stitchy - who is uber-good).
crackup[1].gif

Frilly - Instagram before TWAT spoils the surprise. I need to start looking here first!

Dino - Very interesting VC. You are the TWAT non-round watch reference guide. The melting watch from a month or two ago (Cartier?) was an interesting piece as well.

The Instagram habit is enabled by the damn mobile phone. I suppose I can access TWAT just as easily via TapaTalk too, but Tapatalk tends to crash on me sometimes. Weird.

I think my wrist maxes out at 40mm. And to be quite frank a 36mm seems to look best. My current Rolex and the next watch will still be worn 90% of the time with a suit. I tried on the Rolex Sub yesterday and it was quite bulky with my suit. I am sure I could come around to it.

I like the Reverso but I have not located a shop that carries them around me. I prefer to try on every watch I am considering. I would lean toward the Reverso with the double sided time piece...black face/white face.

Either way I will go through a dealer.

My wrist is only 6.25" and most of my watches are 36mm. I do have a "40mm" Daytona but in reality (as measured specifically by TWAT members here too) it's only 38.5mm, so I actually think it wears a little smaller than a Sub. You've got to make it work for you.

Did you mean you prefer going through an authorized dealer versus a grey market dealer?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very cool idea, but for ballers only i think. even at 450 a month that is 5400 a year. you get get a nice 5 figure watch pre owned for that. but i guess if you like a lot of variety, dont want to deal with buying and selling, or just need for looks in common baller company... its a very nice service.

if i was rollin, i would definitely consider, depending on the selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads