• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrist shot with friends over breakfast. Also, we are not holding hands in this picture. It just looks that way.

4a4edeve.jpg

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wrist shot with friends over breakfast. Also, we are not holding hands in this picture. It just looks that way.

4a4edeve.jpg

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Oh man, there are too many things to say about this picture.

1. You pick your friends interestingly
2. I can just imagine everyone watching you guys while you take this picture
3. This is worse than holding hands
4. This picture reminds me of something girls would do
5. Which hand are you?

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's wrong with you?!  There is nothing not great about a Sub, it's a clear stand-out!

Wrong? A whole lot, I'm afraid :) But I agree that there's nothing not great about a sub; I wore my no-date exclusively for 20+ years, and even after adding a couple of other watches over the last few years I've realised that I would've been fine with just the sub as my OneWatch.

But then it isn't one of those maxi-case monstrosities ;-)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More breakfast wrist Appreciation:

a4y3unu4.jpg

Cheap bill for four, that's how we roll:

u4etyda6.jpg

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, there are too many things to say about this picture.

1. You pick your friends interestingly
2. I can just imagine everyone watching you guys while you take this picture
3. This is worse than holding hands
4. This picture reminds me of something girls would do
5. Which hand are you?

You should see our handbag collection. Complete with twillys and trinkets.

And don't ask what twillys are. You KNOW what twillys are.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Quite right.

I'm guessing Frilly's top right in the pic. In which case, nice PoW...details please. :)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Quite right.

I'm guessing Frilly's top right in the pic. In which case, nice PoW...details please. :)

What is PoW? It reminds me of that old Adam West "Batman" cartoon. Zap!

Also, comments from previous page: The details and history of the OQ from Dino, and the pics posted by Warren G, are so awesome and these are the things that keep me coming back to TWAT. Always so much to learn.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember that POW!, ZAP! and BAM! quite well.

Here, it references Prince of Wales check.

Ah! Thanks, Roger! See - learn something new every day!

Zegna fabric, bespoke three piece. Filters galore + stitched pictures hopefully makes up for crappy early morning pics:

huguvada.jpg

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ with accompanying water stains on bathroom mirror! Dayum, that pic looks better on a small iPhone screen haha. So deceiving. Filtered version look like crap on a larger screen.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for those great pictures! I especially enjoy that Jumbo and OQ picture
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
nod[1].gif
. The RO "Jumbo" is definitely one of my dream watch (especially the blue dial). Is your Jumbo the blue dial? I can't really tell. My uncle is still pretty stoked about the watch. The Rolex OQ has definitely moved up on my watch list now. I'm quite fond of the silver dial.

Dino, like always.. I appreciated your well thought out responses and opinions. It means a lot to get a response back that is so well thought out.
saaaaaaaaaaame here
biggrin.gif
Hi Warren,

thanks for the kind words about my post. Glad you enjoyed it. The OQ is definitely an under appreciated part of Rolex history. However, its truly a great watch, and with many people quickly dismissing them for being quartz, true collectors can pick up pretty good examples at reasonable prices. As mentioned, they do have a sort of cult following among Rolex collectors. I've seen WTB ads posted on some of the Rolex forums. You just have to be careful that the example you buy isn't one that has been over polished by an amateur. Although the bracelet looks simple and flat, I've seen plenty of them that have been over polished and lost the beveled edges that run along the edges of the bracelet.

Yes, my Jumbo has a blue dial. Since the 2012 release of the current/revised 15202 Jumbo, AP has only been offered it with a blue dial. Previous versions of the Jumbo were available with a white dial, salmon dial, gray dial, or blue dial. The blue dial in the current Jumbo model is a different shade of blue than that offered on other ROs.

Again congrats to your uncle its a great choice.

Dino is one of the (many) reasons why this thread here is so great. I read more than I post...I don't have many watches, certainly not many great ones, but I love reading and learning here everyday. It's such a pleasure.
Thanks for the kind words Frank. This is a thread has a fantastic sense of community and truly I enjoy being a part of it. I actually don't frequent other watch forums much since I found this thread. Its not the number of watches one has that matters (I'd love to have more), but sharing its sharing one's love of watches with other like minded peeps that makes this place great!

i love the look of the OQ, screams 80s to me, and its awesome. but i just cant wrap my head around the quartz part.
frown.gif
Its actually more 1970s than 80' s (although it survived to 2004), I believe the earliest models that do NOT say "Superlative Chronometer Officically Certified" on the dials were released around 1977. You can see similar design elements in the OQ in the RO, the VC 222, and a other pieces from the 70s.

The quartz thing was a matter of survival, particularly in the 1970s and early 80s. In fact something like 16 high end watch makers including Patek and Rolex all worked in collaboration to develop their first quartz movements the Beta 21. Sadly most Pateks and Rolex with the Beta 21 were kind of clunky and unattractive. Today, quartz movements are not desirable in Calatravas, Royal Oaks, and other high end brands...however, I think its a bit different with the Oysterquartz, as that wasn't another model that was conceived as a mechanical watch and then received a quartz movement during the height of the quartz craze. It was a watch designed from the outset to have the best quartz movement available (and many would argue it was and still is) in a watch that met all of the rigorous requirements of any of Rolex's most rugged watches. That being said, I wouldn't pay vintage Sub or Daytona money for one, but for the money and what it offers its a great watch in its own right, regardless of its movement. However, I can understand reluctance or less interest by some due to it being a quartz.

I don't know, for some reason or another, I certainly understand the quartz thing. I mean, not enough that I would abandon my mechanicals for a quartz, but I do have an interest in the HEQ segment. I think I would like a SD or Quartz movement in the stable. One thing that I find particularly nice about having one quartz watch (I gave mine to my little brother, who wears it everyday, so it went to a good home) is that when you pick it up, it is ticking away and is keeping perfect time. The low maintenance is nice if you are running late for work, and you need a dress watch or something like that. The perpetual calendar Citizen that keeps time to within ~5-15 seconds a year really interests me. I think it would be a highly practical watch to own, and a great watch to set your others to!

The OQ would also be a great selection
smile.gif
+1
While I wouldn't have an entire stable of quartz watches, but I find it very convenient to have a rugged and reliable quartz watch that I can pick up at a moment's notice and not have to wind/set the date etc. In addition, the OQ is versatile enough for jeans, but still retro cool and sophisticated enough to wear with a suit.

You have square fingers?

I think the OQ looks magnificent.
Mimo, I don't own a round dress watch...so how could I own a round wedding band?
wink.gif
Actually, take a look at the part of your ring finger closest to your hand...its kind of square shaped. It seemed weird when you think about wearing a square ring, because we are all so used to rings being round. However, it's very comfortable because it follows the true contour of your fingers. But if square isn't your thing...there are zillions of round rings on the market.

4a4edeve.jpg

Wow, looks like a great watch breakfast event! Thanks for sharing the event with us. I presume those were not the prizes for having a quick breakfast at McDonalds...if they were, then I'm going to my nearest MickeyDs and ordering a bunch of "Happy Meals" just for the prizes!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice guess Mimo. I knew he wasn't the Yatchmaster, and I figured he'd be wearing a dress shirt/suit so that nixed the 5711. But I wasn't positive which of the remaining Pateks was his.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know, for some reason or another, I certainly understand the quartz thing.
I mean, not enough that I would abandon my mechanicals for a quartz, but I do have an interest in the HEQ segment. I think I would like a SD or Quartz movement in the stable. One thing that I find particularly nice about having one quartz watch (I gave mine to my little brother, who wears it everyday, so it went to a good home) is that when you pick it up, it is ticking away and is keeping perfect time. The low maintenance is nice if you are running late for work, and you need a dress watch or something like that. The perpetual calendar Citizen that keeps time to within ~5-15 seconds a year really interests me. I think it would be a highly practical watch to own, and a great watch to set your others to!
The OQ would also be a great selection :).

Hi Warren,
Its actually more 1970s than 80' s (although it survived to 2004),
I believe the earliest models that do NOT say "Superlative Chronometer Officically Certified" on the dials were released around 1977.  You can see similar design elements in the OQ in the RO, the VC 222, and a other pieces from the 70s.  
The quartz thing was a matter of survival, particularly in the 1970s and early 80s.  In fact something like 16 high end watch makers including Patek and Rolex all worked in collaboration to develop their first quartz movements the Beta 21.  Sadly most Pateks and Rolex with the Beta 21 were kind of clunky and unattractive.  Today, quartz movements are not desirable in Calatravas, Royal Oaks, and other high end brands...however, I think its a bit different with the Oysterquartz, as that wasn't another model that was conceived as a mechanical watch and then received a quartz movement during the height of the quartz craze.  It was a watch designed from the outset to have the best quartz movement available (and many would argue it was and still is) in a watch that met all of the rigorous requirements of any of Rolex's most rugged watches.  That being said, I wouldn't pay vintage Sub or Daytona money for one, but for the money and what it offers its a great watch in its own right, regardless of its movement.  However, I can understand reluctance or less interest by some due to it being a quartz.

well, most decades bleed into the next one, and since i was born in 82, the style looks 80s to me, which i guess is really late 70s.

but anyways, intellectually, i completely agree and understand. i know all about the history of quartz, how early models were some of the most expensive models on the market, and that most companies needed to get in that game to simply survive. at the time, it was thought that quartz was THE future of watches.

i also appreciate the fact that the OQ is no cheap walmart timex. it may be quartz, but it is not by any means a simple movement, and i love the styling.

all that being said, its just not for me. i dont have much interest personally in a non mechanical watch. but thats just me. i harbor no hate to the quartz, and i salute all those who choose to sport a nice quality quartz watch.

4a4edeve.jpg

this is all kinds of awesome.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but anyways, intellectually, i completely agree and understand. i know all about the history of quartz, how early models were some of the most expensive models on the market, and that most companies needed to get in that game to simply survive. at the time, it was thought that quartz was THE future of watches.

i also appreciate the fact that the OQ is no cheap walmart timex. it may be quartz, but it is not by any means a simple movement, and i love the styling.

all that being said, its just not for me. i dont have much interest personally in a non mechanical watch. but thats just me. i harbor no hate to the quartz, and i salute all those who choose to sport a nice quality quartz watch.
this is all kinds of awesome.
No worries, I completely understand the lack of interest/attachment to non-mechanical watches. For me its an interesting part of Rolex history.
In the end its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads