• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna makes amazing linen dress shirts. I wear them all summer with suits at work. Canali and the other high-end Italians makers do the same. Light blue, white, and pink work well.
Thanks.

The Zegna shirts look amazing, but they are beyond my budget and the Canali shirts are closer, but I think I can do better with Luxire especially since they have nice cotton-linen fabrics and I have dialed in my fit with them.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you’re pretty standard fit doesn’t Kamakura used to have stuff like just about ~$100, though don’t know their minimal shipping these days

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
accessories (pocket square/tie/socks) are too matchy-matchy for my taste. And too many bracelets. Overall looks like he's trying a little too hard. If he dialed it back I think it would be great.

I want the "men wearing a forearm full of beads" trend to die a brutal and swift death.

I think of Steve every time I see it...

giphy.gif

I think the blue-stripe shirt is a bit too much. A plain cream or yellow might be better. I'm not a beads guy, but it might work for him.
I prefer his look over what old men like Bruce Boyer are wearing; he looks hip.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

The Zegna shirts look amazing, but they are beyond my budget and the Canali shirts are closer, but I think I can do better with Luxire especially since they have nice cotton-linen fabrics and I have dialed in my fit with them.
Oh yeah, super pricey. I only buy them on sale when I stumble on them. I'm a 16.5/42 which seems to sell out fast and not make it to sale time.

Paul Stuart also makes nice Hamptons-ready linen stuff.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, super pricey. I only buy them on sale when I stumble on them. I'm a 16.5/42 which seems to sell out fast and not make it to sale time.

Paul Stuart also makes nice Hamptons-ready linen stuff.
Yikes Zegna was unfordable when I was a grad student and still unaffordable as a working adult. Those shirt prices are unreal!!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes Zegna was unfordable when I was a grad student and still unaffordable as a working adult. Those shirt prices are unreal!!
The middle has completely hollowed out. Retail for standard Zegna dress shirts is like $500 and up now. The Isaia, Kiton, and Attolini shirts are completely unreachable at retail for me.

Was at Tyson’s over the weekend and RLPL linen dress shirts were also $500. Nice light wool/cash plaid overshirt was $1900.

Luckily sale shopping is still possible. Smaller vendors like MyTheresa and Mitchell’s Group can still put up some deals. I do miss Barneys, though. Always came away with gems.

If Derek were still here we’d be arguing that sale shoppers killed the businesses as we were too cheap to pay retail…

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The middle has completely hollowed out. Retail for standard Zegna dress shirts is like $500 and up now. The Isaia, Kiton, and Attolini shirts are completely unreachable at retail for me.

Was at Tyson’s over the weekend and RLPL linen dress shirts were also $500. Nice light wool/cash plaid overshirt was $1900.

Luckily sale shopping is still possible. Smaller vendors like MyTheresa and Mitchell’s Group can still put up some deals. I do miss Barneys, though. Always came away with gems.

If Derek were still here we’d be arguing that sale shoppers killed the businesses as we were too cheap to pay retail…
No matter how much my salary increases I feel like the luxury goods keep moving goal post. Ben Silver makes good RTW shirts if not somewhat boring. The best route to go is MTM through a company like Individualized Shirts for a Middle Tiered Shirt. I consider the G. Inglese product offered by NMWA on the high end and they don't even compare to Zegna and Kiton on pricing.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it was the consumers who killed the businesses. Stores need to do a better job at projecting their future sales. I think NMWA walks a fine line in the amount of product they carry to be sold at full and discounted prices.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter how much my salary increases I feel like the luxury goods keep moving goal post. Ben Silver makes good RTW shirts if not somewhat boring. The best route to go is MTM through a company like Individualized Shirts for a Middle Tiered Shirt. I consider the G. Inglese product offered by NMWA on the high end and they don't even compare to Zegna and Kiton on pricing.
Inglese hits at like $400 or thereabouts via MTM, ya? Unless you’re a PERFECT RTW fit (god I wish), I don’t know how you do RTW at a higher price point than that unless you just just unspeakably rich. And, even then...I'd struggle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads