• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
feel behind over the holiday weekend, so i only speed read the posts in the past few days. :(
wow that is amazing. want want want want.....
On a different note, I just wanted to share a little story. I have been somewhat out of the watch game a bit lately, as I have been focusing a lot more on my workwear (for those who follow the NMWA thread...). And really, I have been so content with my current pair, the Speedy and the MUT Moon, that I do not really feel any sense of urgency to acquire anything new (finally). But, having exhausted my morning reading early yesterday morning (down with the flu), I decided to check out the Timezone Showcase to see if there was anything interesting. And lo and behold, after about a year of shutting this darn thing out of my memory, I stumbled upon the stunning IWC 5251:
The IWC 5251 is actually one of the first watches that I ever laid my eyes on online. The first time I saw it, I was absolutely smitten. When I look back at my earliest "want" lists, that watch inspired most of my initial watch "crushes." I knew that the watch was out of production, but the IWC Port Chrono, the IWC 7 Day, and the Dornblueth 99.2 all kind of scratched that deck-watch itch. Since then, I have kind of grown out of my deck watch fascination phase. But every now and then I see the 5251 and all of those mushy feelings come back. I think that it may have the most gorgeous dial I have ever seen, bar none. Of course that is a subjective statement, but I do not think anyone can look at that watch and not think that there is something special about it. The watch is also incredibly thin--it is only 6mm wide, and it contains a pocket watch movement and has a big acrylic crystal. The only real downside for me is the size--it clocks in at a monstrous 46mm.
However, considering that it was first made in 1981... it really does not bother me too much. This watch was just so ahead of its time. It is almost like it was a complete experiment. It is such an anomaly that I cannot help but love everything about it. It is probably the only watch that I have ever fallen completely, heads over heels in love with. http://people.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles0035
this is stunning. kop now. -- @bill - nice kop. looking forward to wrist shots.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Cyber Monday at Jomashop and that Seiko I posted is now at a kind of funny $64, so yeah, I bought one. It's a watch for less than the price of a Hober tie. It'll hold me over until I get the Junghans.
Congrats Bill. I think getting something to hold you over until you possibly go for the Junghans was a good idea. It seemed like there were a few watches you were considering, some being stronger contenders than others. Even if you decide in the end to get the Junghans, you have a watch to wear so now you won't feel rushed into making a decision. You can take you time, shop around, and see if you still feel the same way about the Junghans or see if something else pops up on the radar in the coming weeks. Good luck.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's Cyber Monday at Jomashop and that Seiko I posted is now at a kind of funny $64, so yeah, I bought one. It's a watch for less than the price of a Hober tie. It'll hold me over until I get the Junghans.

Congrats Bill. Good call, enjoy!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dinner out with Mrs. Dino and a RG manual wind VC 1972. A few of the shoe fetish people here might recognize the marlows in the photo below.

A quick close up of the asymmetric deployant buckle to mimmick the case shape

One last photo.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Break/Weekend.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dino, I absolutely love, love, love that VC. Absolutely stunning. Such a dynamic looking watch.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
always a winer that one, dino. shoes too!

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dinner out with Mrs. Dino and a RG manual wind VC 1972. A few of the shoe fetish people here might recognize the marlows in the photo below. A quick close up of the asymmetric deployant buckle to mimmick the case shape One last photo. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Break/Weekend.
Lovely Dino :nodding:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, I absolutely love, love, love that VC. Absolutely stunning. Such a dynamic looking watch.
Thanks Nuke. IMHO, its another great example of VC borrowing and modernizing one of their designs from the past. Women generally don't seem to be watch people, but if I were single, that's the watch I'd wear. It seems to be quite an ice breaker and always draw interest and questions from women. What can I say, another reason to love that watch!

always a winer that one, dino. shoes too!
Hate to think my VC is a "Winer"
uhoh.gif
...so I'm going to presume it was supposed to be "Winner", and with that in mind thanks Bro!
cheers.gif

Lovely Dino
nod[1].gif

Thanks Cleav, I hadn't worn it in a while and figured it could use some wrist time.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gorgeous watch

I miss mines dearly. :facepalm:

]
Lovely portuguese! Looks very, very nice on your wrist.
Rumor has it that it is the best finished watch evar.

Warren, why did you choose to send it to a new home?

LOL well I'm a couple hundred pages behind. To make a long story short, my laptop was stolen and I just got it back. I turn it back on, and Chrome still had all my tabs open. I had this question quoted.

While the IWC Portuguese is a really nice watch. But I really did miss my Rolex. So I end up getting a GMTc. I got into wristwatch about 6-7 years ago and I never care for Rolex until they release the GMTc. That sparked my interests in Rolex. That is when I start doing a ton of research. So I end up really appreciating the brand. Unless they release a ceramic Pepsi, my GMTc is a keeper for sure.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also thinking about getting a Cartier Tank Solo automatic soon. That watch has been on my list for awhile now. The Tudor Blue HC is also pretty tempting as well.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dino, lol, yes I meant "winner".

Great shots, Warren.

CTLION

Reaction score
I have narrowed down my search for my next watch.
In no particular order:
1) Rolex President Gold with a brown alligator leather band
2) Rolex Cellini Gold watch on brown alligator leather band
3) Chopard Gold Mille Miglia on brown leather band

My thoughts...I like gold but don't want it to be overbearing with an all gold band. I imagine my last two choices won't be popular. The Cellini is not a popular watch for. Rolex, but I like the clean slate. The Chopard has been appealing for some time. Finally the gold President looks fantastic on a solid leather band.
Essentially I need a watch for my brown shoes.

Ultimately I think I will pick one of these three and then go for something sporty next time around.

My runner ups include:
1) Rolex Submariner- I tried one on today. It is beautiful but I would lose the steel band.
2) Jaeger Reverso - clean and classic
3) Omega Speedmaster Moon Phase

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm just wanting to issue one more 'Thanks' before I stop calling attention to my $64 purchase. The week I spent looking at Joma, Chrono24, EBay, directories and this forum looking for a watch was pretty much spent on the couch next to my GF the social worker. She 'somehow' picked up on my interest in a watch and would have put the Junghans on her Mastercard if I had let her. Instead, bearing in mind her Social Worker's salary I let her spring for the Seiko and for her to see the 'Congrats' coming from guys who own watches worth a year and a half of her income really made her happy.

As appreciated as it has been by me to be able to make use of your collective perspective and as much as I've considered the suggestions and enjoyed the feedback... I've shown her the comments through the thread about this simple little Seiko and where the heavy hitters of the thread might have very easily been watch-snobs you guys have instead been wonderfully welcoming and inclusive and along the way managed to affirm my girlfriend's Christmas gift to me, which is really sort of a sweet little thing when you think about it.

I just thought I'd pass it along that your positive comments and welcoming attitude over such a minor watch have made the afternoon (at least) of a very very nice person. She read through the last couple of pages of TWAT (ahem) and was impressed by the positive energy and sense of community here.

Again, I thank you guys,
-Bill

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
+1 Nice to know that lovely lady is feeling the TWAT-love. OK, that sounds kind of wrong, moving on....I couldn't agree more re. how positive this thread is for mortals like us. Well, apart from probably ruining our lives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads