• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can answer this. On the back of my jackets, just a few inches below the collar, I get a 6-8 inch horizontal line. I am sure this is a fit issue. Any feedback appreciated. I can post a pic when I get home potentially if an answer doesn't come immediately to mind. Thanks in advance.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can answer this. On the back of my jackets, just a few inches below the collar, I get a 6-8 inch horizontal line. I am sure this is a fit issue. Any feedback appreciated. I can post a pic when I get home potentially if an answer doesn't come immediately to mind. Thanks in advance.
As a visual reference to the above inquiry:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sometimes have that same issue with jackets. I believe it's caused by prominent shoulder blades. On my recent Kent Wang MTM suit, Kent corrected the problem by "lowering the collar" by a half cm. From what I understand, it simply eliminates some of the excess fabric causing the horizontal rippling, but doesn't change how the jacket collar sits on your neck. You have more wrinkling than I did, though, so probably would need more than 0.5 cm. Of course, I'm no tailor so I could be totally wrong on all that. :laugh: I'm sure OTCtailor will offer his opinion. That guy has been putting in serious work in this thread, and my hat is off to him. I read this thread from time to time because I find it all interesting and I've learned a lot. I usually try to refrain from proffering my own thoughts, though. ;)

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score

Definitely want to have a tailor get a look at that in person. Sometimes lowering the collar or squaring the shoulders can fix that but those two operations aren't for fixing tightness across the upper back/shoulders. They're for squaring up the balance/shoulder line. If your head is forward, you will just lower the collar or square the shoulders but still have that problem thereby wasting your money.

gabrijel

Reaction score
Hi All
What a great forum you've got here!!Congrats..I could go the whole day through your threads.
I've bought my first Tom Ford suit on ehaberdasher.co.uk and the suit came today.
Usually I wear Hackett Mayfair suits and they fit me pretty good without alterations.
Now the Tom Ford suit doesn't fit me at all and I wonder if alteration would help anything?
I have a pretty good tailor which worked for Lanvin but I have also the possibility to return the suit so now I dont know what would be the better choice,,
The trousers and the sleeves havent been altered yet so dont pay attention to that.
Do you think a good tailor can get me the Tom Ford look? As for now even my cheap 1k Hackett suits are looking better
than this one. I wouldnt mind paying 1k for the alterations if the result would be a perfect fitting/looking suit..but I fear that the result wouldnt be good and that I have wasted a lot of money.
Usually I have aprox. 10 pounds less and I'll be back on my normal weight in a few weeks..
I hope you can give me some advice and thanks
in advance for your help!!
Regards from Switzerland
Gabriel

gambit50

Reaction score
No alterations are going to make you appear as fab in your suit as you should for whatever you paid.
Return

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Hi All
What a great forum you've got here!!Congrats..I could go the whole day through your threads.
I've bought my first Tom Ford suit on ehaberdasher.co.uk and the suit came today.
Usually I wear Hackett Mayfair suits and they fit me pretty good without alterations.
Now the Tom Ford suit doesn't fit me at all and I wonder if alteration would help anything?
I have a pretty good tailor which worked for Lanvin but I have also the possibility to return the suit so now I dont know what would be the better choice,,
The trousers and the sleeves havent been altered yet so dont pay attention to that.
Do you think a good tailor can get me the Tom Ford look? As for now even my cheap 1k Hackett suits are looking better
than this one. I wouldnt mind paying 1k for the alterations if the result would be a perfect fitting/looking suit..but I fear that the result wouldnt be good and that I have wasted a lot of money.
Usually I have aprox. 10 pounds less and I'll be back on my normal weight in a few weeks..
I hope you can give me some advice and thanks
in advance for your help!!
Regards from Switzerland
Gabriel

A little too much tightness all over. I wouldn't go buy a Tom Ford suit for the Tom Ford look if you know what I mean. Good MTM can build to Tom Ford specs...and probably much cheaper.

OTCtailor

Reaction score

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, back with the pants question. Ignore the shirt, it's a casual cut shirt (short) and didn't stay tucked in. What's with the giant folds behind my knees?

These are 33's, untailored. I have a pair of 34's with the same style cut that had the rear rise taken in and they don't have the crease NEAR as bad. Can it be fixed at all? (ETA: I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have an ass. And I can't fix that.) (ETA 2: No comments on the missed belt loop..)

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Alright, back with the pants question. Ignore the shirt, it's a casual cut shirt (short) and didn't stay tucked in. What's with the giant folds behind my knees?

These are 33's, untailored. I have a pair of 34's with the same style cut that had the rear rise taken in and they don't have the crease NEAR as bad. Can it be fixed at all? (ETA: I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have an ass. And I can't fix that.) (ETA 2: No comments on the missed belt loop..)

not exactly fixable on a completely finished trouser without stupid amounts of labor but you could have the same operation done on them that you had on the others...that is lowering the back rise...maybe changing the seat angle a bit by scooping it.

gabrijel

Reaction score
A little too much tightness all over. I wouldn't go buy a Tom Ford suit for the Tom Ford look if you know what I mean. Good MTM can build to Tom Ford specs...and probably much cheaper.
Thanks for your help! Besides that there is too much tightness all over..what are the main problems with the fit? Because as I have mentioned above I go back to my normal weight which is about 10-14 pounds less. So then the tightness shouldnt be a problem anymore..for example in my opinion there is to much textile in the upper arm area..is this something a tailor can alternate?
Thanks again for helping me!
Gabriel

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads