• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Hey all. Was wondering if I could get some feedback for a suit I just purchased. I had some alterations, and had the jacket waist suppressed a bit, not sure if it's too snug now though (chest pulls a little forward when I button it and have my hands in my pockets). Should I look into getting the pants a little more tapered down the leg and the opening? (opening is 8" right now, my other suit is 7.5")

Any other advice? thanks!

[/QUOTE]
Best advice is to have someone take proper pictures because there's too much distortion when you're taking photos of yourself.

Jake103

Reaction score
This is probably a little late but if that suit isn't too big, then it looks like it needs to have the back balance shortened and the waist area suppressed to preference. The trousers can probably use some work too.
Thanks. Do I just take the suit to the taylor and ask to get those or do I need to get specific measurements as to how much before bringing it in to them?

Namelesshan

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has answered this question before~~

What is the most you can shorten on a sleeve of a blazer/sport coat?

I think I need to shorten around 3 inches. It has a working cuff.

Thanks in advance

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've loose the working button holes, that is for sure. Also, it would look awkward because the curvature of the arm wouldn't line up well with your natural curvature. Basically, it would look heavily altered.

jesPak

Reaction score
Hello there. Looking for feedback on what type of alterations might improve the fit of this jacket - in particular the issues in the back, or whether it is a lost cause and should simply be returned. Obviously I'd shorten the sleeves and pants as well. Note that (you probably can tell but...) the vents have not been let out yet. Thanks!

atoms

Reaction score
I feel happy with this suit and just need another pair of eyes to make sure I'm not missing anything grand. I think shoulders could be narrower but it's still within reason, and that pants need to be about 0.5" shorter to remove a slight break in the back (note: I think my left pant leg got caught in the back of the shoe). I realize I don't have all the proper photos so your opinion based on the limitations of these two is valued. This is already back from the tailor where I had sleeves done, collar lowered, pants taken in at waist and hips, and pants hemmed. So I'm more or less happy with where it's at.

MisterFu

Reaction score
I feel happy with this suit and just need another pair of eyes to make sure I'm not missing anything grand. I think shoulders could be narrower but it's still within reason, and that pants need to be about 0.5" shorter to remove a slight break in the back (note: I think my left pant leg got caught in the back of the shoe). I realize I don't have all the proper photos so your opinion based on the limitations of these two is valued. This is already back from the tailor where I had sleeves done, collar lowered, pants taken in at waist and hips, and pants hemmed. So I'm more or less happy with where it's at.

You should be happy. Looks great.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Thanks. Do I just take the suit to the taylor and ask to get those or do I need to get specific measurements as to how much before bringing it in to them?
If the tailor is a tailor and cares about doing good work, he should know what to do, but no harm in bringing it up. If the tailor says he/she doesn't know what you're talking about then pack your suit up and walk out.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has answered this question before~~

What is the most you can shorten on a sleeve of a blazer/sport coat?

I think I need to shorten around 3 inches. It has a working cuff.

Thanks in advance
The only way is to do a "cut job". Shortening from the shoulder beyond 1" is not advised.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Hello there. Looking for feedback on what type of alterations might improve the fit of this jacket - in particular the issues in the back, or whether it is a lost cause and should simply be returned. Obviously I'd shorten the sleeves and pants as well. Note that (you probably can tell but...) the vents have not been let out yet. Thanks!

The jacket is too tight across the upper back. The back balance looks like it could be a little long and depending on how it fits around your neck, and adjustment up there could fix it a little bit but the pics aren't that great so it's too hard to tell how the jacket is reacting to your natural posture. Some things can be fixed and sometimes other cannot so easily. A good tailor needs to get his eyes on it.

Namelesshan

Reaction score
Thanks, OTCtailor for taking your time to answer my question,
This might sound stupid, but what is a "cut job"
Thanks again in advance

ZirconiumZephyr

Reaction score
I've got another few pictures of a Kent Wang trial suit, just want to get a few things sorted before I get my order sent off.

First off, the jacket:

What needs fixing? Obviously the sleeves are a little long and the pitch slightly off, but what about the back? Is it too small around the waist? It certainly feels good at the front but the creases at the back suggest otherwise.
I am using this trial suit as a base for a shawl collar dinner jacket. I don't know how much different the fit will be if I take it down to one button, no vents.

The pants are somewhat more of a problem. The 32 waist was far too tight around the thighs and seat, these pictures show the 34. Quite loose now, especially at the waist. It it possible to offer any suggestions just from these examples?

The following photos are from the size down (32):

I would be very grateful for some advice. This is the first time I've had so much control over so many details with MTM so I'd love to do it right.

nautikal

Reaction score

Thoughts on my Black Lapel jacket?

Things I noticed:
1. The way the shoulders are constructed/padded is causing bulges where my trapezius muscles are (I have prominent traps). It's more apparent on the back view. I'm not sure if they can fix this on the next one, but I'll ask.
2. Back needs to be cleaned up. Looks like it can just be taken in at the center seam?
3. Front/back balance needs to be adjusted... needs to be longer in the back?
4. The vents are gaping a bit on the right side, although pressing the suit to remove creases at the bottom in the back (from shipping) would help alleviate this. Suggestions? Let out in the waist at the back slightly? Of course I am aware that the prominent seat is the cause though.

Thanks!

Bump

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads