• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

MisterFu

Reaction score
Unfortunately the jacket is just not right and probably will require a remake. It's definitely too short and there are lots of collar gap issues. This is probably from a p2p measurement that is too narrow for your shoulders.
It's just an epidemic of too short and too tight. Suit after suit of clothes that look like they were shrunk in the wash. When will this end?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It will end when people are honest with themselves.

aussiedoggie

Reaction score
Greetings!

This is my first post, and like a bad houseguest, I start with a request instead of a gift.

Could someone with tailoring expertise advise me on this Indochino suit? I am a few remakes into the process, with improvement each time. Here, I see the problem with the collar in the front of the suit, but do not know the remedy. That's the only problem that my untrained eye recognizes. If you see others, by all means advise me.

I took the pictures standing the way I normally stand. The suit and shirt actually feel comfortable, but I've lost a mountain of weight over the past two years after being "of size" for decades. Because of that, I think I know how a suit should look, but how a properly-fitted suit should feel is somewhat new to me. I work in a conservative industry in the Midwest United States.

Best regards, and thank you for any comments you could make.

pnin22

Reaction score
aussiedoggie: My main observation is that this suit would benefit from wider lapels and lower button stance. I suppose the buckling of the lapel could be remedied by letting the suit out a little at the waist. For the pants, I would widen the seat, taper the leg a bit and hem them.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, pnin22!
A lot of things wrong with the suit:

1. The neck doesn't fit. It is way too big
2. Pulling in the mid section
3. Jacket is too short
4. Lapels too skinny
5. Quarters too closed
6. Buttoning point too high
7. Back needs a little cleanup
8. Pants too long
9. Too much fabric at the back of the pants

Experts can point out other technical issues. These are the obvious ones to me and I am a novice.

aussiedoggie

Reaction score
Thank you, kulata. That helps, and thanks to the search function, I now know what "quarters" are on a jacket . . .

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Greetings!

This is my first post, and like a bad houseguest, I start with a request instead of a gift.

Could someone with tailoring expertise advise me on this Indochino suit? I am a few remakes into the process, with improvement each time. Here, I see the problem with the collar in the front of the suit, but do not know the remedy. That's the only problem that my untrained eye recognizes. If you see others, by all means advise me.

I took the pictures standing the way I normally stand. The suit and shirt actually feel comfortable, but I've lost a mountain of weight over the past two years after being "of size" for decades. Because of that, I think I know how a suit should look, but how a properly-fitted suit should feel is somewhat new to me. I work in a conservative industry in the Midwest United States.

Best regards, and thank you for any comments you could make.

The "quarters" are actually just fine but the illusion of them being too closed is what's happening here. The button point is acting as a kindof fulcrum. Despite the fact that you've lost weight, you're still a very prominent barrel chested stout gentleman in the front. Don't know if this was a custom suit or not, but if it is and it is new, whoever took the measurement may not have considered the relationship between p2p and chest fit. You've also got some shoulder slope and forward hanging arms. You can see how that's creating tension across the upper back. The collar gap is created because the jacket is fighting the natural form of your body. The pressure of your chest expanding inside the garment combined with a too short front balance is causing the quarters to invert into each other thus the closed quarters.
The pants are more fixable than the jacket. Things like lapel width, button stance, etc aren't fixable on this garment, obviously. If it was made for you recently, my recommendation is check out the remake process if there is one to see if certain of your posture/fit attributes can actually be accounted for. If they can't, see if you can get a refund because I don't think this can be fixed from being a finished garment.
If this garment is RTW, start taking a look around at some good MTM because the only way to fix this is to probably size up or look around forever until you find a good cut...if there is one.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Relating to post above...
This gentleman is a client of mine (pics posted with permision). There are major differences between his and your body, but also a lot of similarity. He's very broad with high and square shoulders also with strong erect posture. He's very barrel chested with a forward stomach. He simply need more front length than back. He needs A LOT of width in the chest which generally must correspond to a lot of width in the shoulders, as well. This was the first suit for him off of which we will create adjustments as we go along but this is what you should expect from a better MTM provider when you're dealing with a figure that is pretty difficult to fit. This suit isn't perfect. He's also wearing the trousers with a belt though they were made to wear with braces. They are not too long unless worn with a belt. See how from the front the suit makes him look generally slimmer? Obviously it's not going to make him look like a beanpole but you get the drift. This is called flattery and it is the goal.

MisterFu

Reaction score
Relating to post above...
This gentleman is a client of mine (pics posted with permision). There are major differences between his and your body, but also a lot of similarity. He's very broad with high and square shoulders also with strong erect posture. He's very barrel chested with a forward stomach. He simply need more front length than back. He needs A LOT of width in the chest which generally must correspond to a lot of width in the shoulders, as well. This was the first suit for him off of which we will create adjustments as we go along but this is what you should expect from a better MTM provider when you're dealing with a figure that is pretty difficult to fit. This suit isn't perfect. He's also wearing the trousers with a belt though they were made to wear with braces. They are not too long unless worn with a belt. See how from the front the suit makes him look generally slimmer? Obviously it's not going to make him look like a beanpole but you get the drift. This is called flattery and it is the goal.

Alteration number 1 : Remove the belt loops.
biggrin.gif

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Alteration number 1 : Remove the belt loops.
biggrin.gif
HA! If you suggest no belt loops on trousers in lieu of susp buttons and side straps, people get scared....almost like you're selling them a car without tires.

MisterFu

Reaction score
HA! If you suggest no belt loops on trousers in lieu of susp buttons and side straps, people get scared....almost like you're selling them a car without tires.
I can only imagine the difficulty in convincing people to dump the loops. That said, braces with trousers that still have belt loops is one of my biggest pet peeves (unless obscured by a waistcoat). The only thing worse is droopy suit pants caused by people who should be wearing braces.
biggrin.gif

OTCtailor

Reaction score
I try not to argue with them. This mans pants actually have loops, side straps, and susp buttons....it's a bit overkill but he wanted them that way

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I try not to argue with them. This mans pants actually have loops, side straps, and susp buttons....it's a bit overkill but he wanted them that way
loops AND sude straps yea talking about overkill...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads