• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHS

Reaction score
+1, it looks like the goblin shark in the funny picture thread:

Last edited:

EnsitMike

Reaction score
Not exactly trying to achieve a high shine but just alittle shine. Now it's just matte.

I'm polishing a black shoe so it's just black polish.

What's your advice?

Can you post a close up picture?

I've had this happen before. It was when I first started, and I thought the shoe polish color was supposed to rid of scuffs on the first coat. I ended up putting too much polish, which is likely what you have done. By now the polish should really have dried up quite significantly, and you may just take a brush to it. The brush takes off much of the product with any use, and may do you good in this situation. If it IS still gummy I wouldn't necessarily go this route, and in that case I'd wait for another member to chime in. It would be quite curious that the product would stay moist for this long however.

In the future, if you aren't going for high shine like you say, then truly you only need a very conservative amount of polish. Taking it to the limits of patience you can watch Crat's spit polish video, as you will get a good understanding of the very sparse amount of polish and it's great effect.

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently polishing a pair with some new wax and was very frustrated as the shine wasn't coming along as I wanted it to.
Turns out I needed less spit/water as this new wax is fresh unlike the dried up "bits of charcoal" I'm using in the video.
You live and learn : )

-edit-
It really isn't an exact science...

Last edited:

dlind

Reaction score
Been busy lately...

From

To

Very nice! Would you consider making a short "how to" guide for doing something like this. I would very much like to try it but I'm a bit hesitant since I have not done anything similar before. Do you use something like dubbin grease after stripping the shoes to replenish the leather before you apply the dye?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice! Would you consider making a short "how to" guide for doing something like this. I would very much like to try it but I'm a bit hesitant since I have not done anything similar before. Do you use something like dubbin grease after stripping the shoes to replenish the leather before you apply the dye?
Someone asked me the same question yesterday, here's my answer. Applying grease before dying would defy the purpose of stripping the leather with acetone because the greased leather wouldn't absorb the dye properly. I use renovator after dying to nourish the leather.

vncrz

Reaction score
I have two pairs of shoes that I've worn for 2+ years with built up layers of wax from spit shining them and recently purchased Renomat to strip the layers away and start afresh. However, rubbing some Renomat in a circular motion hasn't had much of an effect, should I just rub in some more until the glossy layers just go away? I am a bit afraid of overdoing it

dlind

Reaction score
Someone asked me the same question yesterday, here's my answer.
Applying grease before dying would defy the purpose of stripping the leather with acetone because the greased leather wouldn't absorb the dye properly. I use renovator after dying to nourish the leather.
Great thanks! Do you not feel that the shoe needs more nourishment then the renovator can provide after stripping it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads