• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alvinbmx

Reaction score

Might have no relation, but are you trying to raise a high shine using a dark wax on a light shoe by any chance?

Not exactly trying to achieve a high shine but just alittle shine. Now it's just matte.

I'm polishing a black shoe so it's just black polish.

What's your advice?

kayjaybee

Reaction score
Not exactly trying to achieve a high shine but just alittle shine. Now it's just matte.

I'm polishing a black shoe so it's just black polish.

What's your advice?

I have found after creating a base with about 5-7 layers of wax (using a tiny bit of water with each layer), using more water (with no wax) helps shine the wax. I spit shine so I don't use water, but I've found it works very well. I use a tiny bit of spit with each layer of wax then after a good base is established I create about a dime size area of spit and shine the wax. I use only "spit" two or three times and I get a very nice, smooth shine. After, use a buffing cloth to get it even smoother.

Just in case you didn't see the link in the post...

http://chriscrat.tumblr.com/post/42997583917/spit-polishing-a-shoe

Last edited:

Alvinbmx

Reaction score

I have found after creating a base with about 5-7 layers of wax (using a tiny bit of water with each layer), using more water (with no wax) helps shine the wax.  I spit shine so I don't use water, but I've found it works very well.  I use a tiny bit of spit with each layer of wax then after a good base is established I create about a dime size area of spit and shine the wax.  I use only "spit" two or three times and I get a very nice, smooth shine.  After, use a buffing cloth to get it even smoother.

Just in case you didn't see the link in the post...

http://chriscrat.tumblr.com/post/42997583917/spit-polishing-a-shoe

Thanks for sharing your method! But I need to know how to get rid of the grime before I can continue the usual polishing.

kayjaybee

Reaction score
@Alvinbmx...Crat is the king of this thread. Talk to him...he created the video I included in my post. ^^^^

archangle13

Reaction score
Is it recommended to use a stiff-bristled brush for shell cordovan instead of a horsehair brush?

If shell is indeed that hard, and difficult to brush shine, then a synthetic brush is ok??

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I have a small crack in the leather at the back of the sown heel tab in my AE kenilworths. What can I color the exposed white part in with? Should I use a cream like meltonian? And how do I prevent the crack from getting worse? I got these for cheap, should I return them? The rest of the shoe is spotless...

Alvinbmx

Reaction score

@Alvinbmx...Crat is the king of this thread.  Talk to him...he created the video I included in my post.  ^^^^

Yes he is! His creations are magnificent!

Crat, will you be able to tell me what is wrong with my shoe? Or what have I not done enough?

Xtra

Reaction score
Noob question, what causes these black lines in my shoes?

History: they are about 2 years old. Not that much used, and unfortunately cared very little for them in the first year. They've not been exposed to rough weather too much and trees have been in them at all times when not worn. (they are the Herring Hampstead, made by Loake)

I tried to polish them about a week ago, think it was a layer of reno and a layer of saphir pommadier cream. As Kirby of the Hanger Projected recommended three layers of polish I just added two layers of pommadier cream.

So are the marks a result of poor leather quality, poor care or just tough dirt to get out? Meaning I need renomat or something similar to strip them down and start over again?

(the leather sole had to be replaced, done by a local cobbler....)

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys : )

Is it recommended to use a stiff-bristled brush for shell cordovan instead of a horsehair brush?

If shell is indeed that hard, and difficult to brush shine, then a synthetic brush is ok??

I'm no shell expert but in my experience shell thrives under a little pressure, literally.
I use a nailbrush wrapped in a regular cotton polishing cloth for shell. The stiff bristles allow me to easily apply a fair amount of pressure to the shell and the cloth prevents the bristles from damaging it. Make sure no bristles stick through the cloth as they will cause small scratches.

Crat, will you be able to tell me what is wrong with my shoe? Or what have I not done enough?

Do you have pics? That would be a great help.

Last edited:

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question, what causes these black lines in my shoes?

Probably the result of rubbing from your other shoe, particularly the side of your left heel.

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of the pedals in your car? hard to say (from that pic).

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys : )
I'm no shell expert but in my experience shell thrives under a little pressure, literally.
I use a nailbrush wrapped in a regular cotton polishing cloth for shell. The stiff bristles allow me to easily apply a fair amount of pressure to the shell and the cloth prevents the bristles from damaging it. Make sure no bristles stick through the cloth as they will cause small scratches.

Do you have pics? That would be a great help.

Dude that PIC is fckn terrifying

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads