• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So if I polished some shoes with too dark of polish is there a way to turn them back to the color they were before?

I feel like if I slowly put lighter polish on it would eventually lighten right?
The polish is just a layer on top of the leather. You should be able to remove it with something like renomat or possibly renovateur.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done, hope this holds up.

aglose

Reaction score

The polish is just a layer on top of the leather. You should be able to remove it with something like renomat or possibly renovateur.

Ok. I'll look around town for some of this but if I had to get it online where's the best price?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok. I'll look around town for some of this but if I had to get it online where's the best price?

Where are you? The US, UK and mainland Europe all have their own online dealers

aglose

Reaction score
Ozzy I'm mainland US.

david3558

Reaction score
Trying out GlenKaren's Burgundy Shoe Polish and High Polish products. The high polish is awesome, seriously. I'm a total noob at calfskin care and I was able to get a pretty great shine first try :slayer:

However, do have some questions about what I'm supposed to do with the right shoe as it has a damaged area that was darkened by the polish! Check out the video - excuse any mistakes that I made.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

aglose

Reaction score
Wish their starter kits were a bit cheaper but oh well.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wish their starter kits were a bit cheaper but oh well.

Best to see if you can put together $50 worth and the shippings free if you get renomat and renovateur your almost there and you will almost certainly use it up if you care for your shoes properly

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
What leather is it? I had a hella time polishing mine at first. Ended up slathering them in renovator then brushing like crazy. Polish up fine now. (Freudenberg)

Well...mine is the black calf leather from Meermin. I repeated the following steps twice (Renovateur>Pommadier >Pâte de Luxe) before repeatedly polishing with the Pâte de Luxe but still couldn't work out anything. I polished for at least 2 hours.

The problem is i noticed that the surface of a particular part feels a little sticky. So i wondering if that is the reason why i can't smooth out the surface to bring out the shine.

nickwjd

Reaction score
Well...mine is the black calf leather from Meermin. I repeated the following steps twice (Renovateur>Pommadier >Pâte de Luxe) before repeatedly polishing with the Pâte de Luxe but still couldn't work out anything. I polished for at least 2 hours.

The problem is i noticed that the surface of a particular part feels a little sticky. So i wondering if that is the reason why i can't smooth out the surface to bring out the shine.

I am having a similar issue with a pair of Florsheim Veblens. Leather feels sticky, can't get a shine to build. Brushing doesn't seem to help much, and even after many weeks, if I take a dry finger and rub the leather, I can make a smear mark. Not sure what happened, but I'm going to try a cleaner soon (similar to Renomat) and hopefully that removes whatever is on the shoe.

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue with a pair of Florsheim Veblens. Leather feels sticky, can't get a shine to build. Brushing doesn't seem to help much, and even after many weeks, if I take a dry finger and rub the leather, I can make a smear mark. Not sure what happened, but I'm going to try a cleaner soon (similar to Renomat) and hopefully that removes whatever is on the shoe.

Yeah, there's a smear mark when I tried to rub it as well. I think some kind of grime got on to it. I am also thinking of using a cleaner to remove it. Not sure if it will work. I just hope someone who had a similar experience will be able to share how he overcame this.

EnsitMike

Reaction score
Yeah, there's a smear mark when I tried to rub it as well. I think some kind of grime got on to it. I am also thinking of using a cleaner to remove it. Not sure if it will work. I just hope someone who had a similar experience will be able to share how he overcame this.
Might have no relation, but are you trying to raise a high shine using a dark wax on a light shoe by any chance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads