• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have two pairs of shoes that I've worn for 2+ years with built up layers of wax from spit shining them and recently purchased Renomat to strip the layers away and start afresh. However, rubbing some Renomat in a circular motion hasn't had much of an effect, should I just rub in some more until the glossy layers just go away? I am a bit afraid of overdoing it

not sure what you mean by " not too much effect " is there no color coming off on your rag ?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crat - what type of shoes are the two re-dyes you've posted recently (the BRG two-tone and the brown chukkas)? Are these just old shoes from your collection or do you actively source them for projects?

The 2-tone are old Santonis that belong to a friend of mine and the chukkas are Bestettis that belong to a forum member who asked me me to colour them. I started off just doing my own (old) shoes but recently several friends and acquaintances have taken an interest in my projects.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great thanks! Do you not feel that the shoe needs more nourishment then the renovator can provide after stripping it?
I haven't had any problems yet just using renovator as post-strippng nourishment; imo it does a good job. My Asquiths, on which I firts tried this a few years ago, are holding up nicely.

dlind

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems yet just using renovator as post-strippng nourishment; imo it does a good job. My Asquiths, on which I firts tried this a few years ago, are holding up nicely.
Ok, great. Will try this as soon as time permits me.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Gents,

I am looking to buy about 20+ bottles of Sapir cream.

in all colours...do you know where I can get them at decent prices.
Or possibly wholesale prices if I am buying this amount?

aglose

Reaction score
So what is the difference between cream and wax shoe polish? Does wax provide a better shine?

aglose

Reaction score

Best to see if you can put together $50 worth and the shippings free if you get renomat and renovateur your almost there and you will almost certainly use it up if you care for your shoes properly

There's $50 of stuff in my cart but its still charging me for shipping? Is there some code I have to enter or something?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ketawa

Reaction score
I've been working on polishing my AE Leeds with Saphir products. Started with Renomat to strip the original base of cream polish, Dubbin Graisse on the vamp and sides, Renovateur, three coats of Black Cream, and finally several coats of Black Wax.

Applying a second/third layer black wax polish on one of the shoes, it's kind of crumbling off of one part of the toe box and leaving an area with no gloss. The polish is coming right off as I try to apply it and I can't get that area to take a shine. I'm using microfiber cloths. The polish is brand new, just opened.

What is causing this? I haven't been able to find any info. How can I get the shoes to start shining again? Try some cream polish again on that area, then continue with wax again? I'd rather not try to strip them all the way down with Renomat again.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been working on polishing my AE Leeds with Saphir products. Started with Renomat to strip the original base of cream polish, Dubbin Graisse on the vamp and sides, Renovateur, three coats of Black Cream, and finally several coats of Black Wax.

Applying a second/third layer black wax polish on one of the shoes, it's kind of crumbling off of one part of the toe box and leaving an area with no gloss. The polish is coming right off as I try to apply it and I can't get that area to take a shine. I'm using microfiber cloths. The polish is brand new, just opened.

What is causing this? I haven't been able to find any info. How can I get the shoes to start shining again? Try some cream polish again on that area, then continue with wax again? I'd rather not try to strip them all the way down with Renomat again.

Did you let the dubbin fully dried out? Usually that takes days.

What most likely happened is, you took away part of the finish with renomat. And you put dubbin over. And before it dries out completely or you applied too much dubbin, you set your renovator (which kills a bit more of the finish btw) and shoe creams. Without letting the foundation dry out completely, you starts waxing. And the solvent inside the wax eventually etch through the top layer of all the products you used and displaced them to create a "bold spot".

Just let them dry, forget about the pair for a week and revisit the shoe shine again.

Honestly, why people are using Renomat for regular shoe care is beyond me. It's rarely needed. Or dubbin, which takes ages to dry and makes the surface hard to take polish...

Ketawa

Reaction score
It is possible I took a little of the finish with renomat. However, I did use a minimal amount of dubbin and let them dry over a week before continuing the process. I was using them mainly to get the shoes started out right, they're new, probably a bit of overkill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics