• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is possible I took a little of the finish with renomat. However, I did use a minimal amount of dubbin and let them dry over a week before continuing the process. I was using them mainly to get the shoes started out right, they're new, probably a bit of overkill.

Let dry and polish again. Skip all the renomat none sense and use wax polish only. Easy to fix the problem.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
@Alvinbmx...Crat is the king of this thread. Talk to him...he created the video I included in my post. ^^^^

Thank you SHS -

I just spent €165 of Saphir cream...probably enough to last me 100 years.

@ Crat - can you or somebody send me the youtube video of the polishing process....otherwise all this Saphir will gather dust

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had an interesting experience today. A couple of months ago I was at a brunch buffet, and when I was getting some bacon using some tongs, I dripped about a dime size drop of bacon grease on the cap of a pair of my wingtip boots. Annoyed, I sprinkled on some baby powder when I got home and let them sit for a while, then brushed them off, applied some saddle soap and finally some conditioner/cleaner. It helped some, but I ended up having to live with a small dark splotch on them. After a couple of months of regular care, and using a dark brown polish, the spot has faded and I pretty much forgot about it. Well I recently moved to a new house, and the boots sat packed in a box for a couple of weeks. They came out of the box and were sitting on my shelf in the closet (back in air-conditioning) for another couple of weeks without being worn. With the rainy weather, I reached for them today and immediately noticed what looked like a white waxy/greasy spot on the toe of the boot. At first it didn't dawn on me, and I just wiped it with my thumb, and brushed them. Then I realized that it must have been the bacon grease!

I am assuming that the couple of weeks packed in a box where they were exposed to warmer than average temperatures (above room temperature) like sitting on a moving truck, slightly melted the grease which then rose to the surface of the leather and then returned to it's more solid state when the shoes were returned to an air-conditioned environment. Since the drip happened, the boots had generally been around room temperature (or slightly below) when indoors, and were in a colder winter environment when outdoors. During the move when they were sitting on a moving truck, I bet they probably reached temps in the 80's. Now that it's spring, I'm hoping that any residual grease left in the leather may continue to rise to the surface. It'll be interesting to see!

alloy13

Reaction score
One is for conditioning leather, the other is for removing built up product on the surface of the leather, respectively.

Is there such a thing as over-conditioning leather? Like using Saphir Renovateur too much? Are there observable consequences to over-conditioning with Renovateur?

dlind

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as over-conditioning leather? Like using Saphir Renovateur too much? Are there observable consequences to over-conditioning with Renovateur?
If you over condition the leather and not allow for drying it will not take polish properly.

alloy13

Reaction score
If you over condition the leather and not allow for drying it will not take polish properly.
Ah I see. I presume that is because the conditioner mixes with the polish, making the polish less effective at producing a shine?

In other words, there are no adverse effects to leather per se? It only affects the aesthetic result of polishing?

dlind

Reaction score
Ah I see. I presume that is because the conditioner mixes with the polish, making the polish less effective at producing a shine?

In other words, there are no adverse effects to leather per se? It only affects the aesthetic result of polishing?
Unless you truly drench it in the stuff I don't think so but I am no expert. I know that it can cause the leather to darken and become a bit less firm. Mostly it will be fine as long as you let it dry properly.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reno is really not intended for constant use. It is intended to be used only periodically as it includes a certain amount of solvent which is designed to lift a small amount of polish and embedded dirt.

For frequent conditioning I use leather lotion or simply cream polish.

It's not really going to harm your shoes by applying frequent conditioning - but as mentioned above - too much oil sitting on the surface of the shoe can make it difficult to impossible to get a high shine. If this occurs simply buff the shoes after each wearing until the oils have dissipated.

glenjay

Reaction score

Yes, it is possible to damage leather by over-conditioning. But, even though Saphir Renovateur contains mink oil as the conditioner, it also contains other ingredients like wax and cleaners, so you would have to use almost an entire jar in a single application to put enough oil into the leather to cause potential damage.

However, in regard to straight leather conditioners (like lexol leather conditioner) and individual oils (like neatsfoot oil), as well as oil based weather proofing compounds with high concentrations of oil (like Obenauf's HDLP), can damage leather if not used in moderation.

I should note that this is more true in shoe leather than boot leather, simply because of the amount of leather tissue available for the oil to disburse across. Boot leather being a thicker leather in most cases.

Here is how excess oil (over-conditioning) can damage leather:

It is fairly common knowledge that leather expands when it gets wet, this is because the cellular structure of the leather is being filled with moisture and causes it to expand (much like a porous kitchen sponge). When the moisture evaporates, the cellular structure shrinks back down. If this same cellular structure is filled with oil it cannot shrink back down, because most oils do not evaporate. This constant state of cellular expansion to this degree is damaging to the stability of the leather structure. The oil then acts like a moisture barrier and traps perspiration in the leather, not allowing the moisture to evaporate to the surface. This can cause dry rot over time, even though (and because) the shoe is well oiled.

For this to happen the shoe leather has to be pretty saturated in oil, but anything over 30% of leather volume is in excess. Since that ratio is almost impossible to measure (unless you own a tannery), it is simply a good idea to use oils in moderation.

Oil is needed to keep the protein bonds of the leather lubricated, but the ratio is ideally around 20% of leather volume (slightly higher for cordovan shell I believe). The reason for conditioning shoes/boots is to replace oils that have been removed by moisture (washing with water and saddle soap, stepping in a puddle of water, getting caught in the rain, etc...), or by simple oxidation over time. Leather strippers, like RenoMat can also extract oils.

Oil and water don't mix which is why oil can be a water barrier to a degree, and also why oil can be flushed with water. Whichever has the greater volume wins.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member