• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinM

Reaction score
JCrew should cover that shipping - someone dumped a return or stollen goods on JCrew which became mixed in. Someone else is or will soon experience the same issue as you have.
Makes me real nervous ordering from J Crew. There is always a fair chance for such thing to happen when the retailer has a liberal return policy.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of J. Crew, I wanted to provide an update regarding a recent posting of mine. It involved a pair of navy CXL PTBs that I bought during the recent sale.

One shoe was scratched up on the side and I intended to return them because of this. However, inspired by the recent story from another member about getting a 50% discount on a pair of "new" (but clearly worn) shell captoe boots, I went to my local store and argued my case that the PTBs should have been sold as seconds. Long story short, I ended up kopping the PTBs for $250, and one VSC session later the scratches are much fainter and the shoes don't really look that much different than they probably would have after a few wearings.

J. Crew: making it right.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I'll try again: I got a pair of 975s in Color 8 from J. Crew. The shoes were two completely different colors from each other; left was 4-5 shades lighter than right. Has anyone experienced this kind of quality-control issue with Alden before? I'm obviously sending them back but I'm more than a bit surprised that they managed to get out of the factory.

I had a pair of Ravello chukkas (which were quickly returned) that were a pretty serious mismatch, especially when seen in natural light. I'd uploaded some photos here that should still be available.

There's at least one other photo of a pretty serious mismatch on here too, but I can't remember the specifics. Unlike your pair, however, both mine and the other were not obviously marked as parts of different pairs.

coinopcollector

Reaction score

Ok, I'll try again: I got a pair of 975s in Color 8 from J. Crew. The shoes were two completely different colors from each other; left was 4-5 shades lighter than right. Has anyone experienced this kind of quality-control issue with Alden before? I'm obviously sending them back but I'm more than a bit surprised that they managed to get out of the factory.
My guess is that the left shoe was the display model and naturally lightened from exposure to the store lighting.

GooseG

Reaction score

Most of the people on the thread don't seem like they wear dress balmorals all that often. I own the 9016 in black, and they have quickly become one of my favorite pair.

You're likely correct. I've been trying to sell my 9015s for weeks, and no one has even attempted to buy them. I figured a #8 pair in 9D and really good condition would have gone like hotcakes.

RobinM

Reaction score
I had a pair of Ravello chukkas (which were quickly returned) that were a pretty serious mismatch, especially when seen in natural light. I'd uploaded some photos here that should still be available.

There's at least one other photo of a pretty serious mismatch on here too, but I can't remember the specifics. Unlike your pair, however, both mine and the other were not obviously marked as parts of different pairs.
Could it be this pair. Pretty serious mismatch.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230413/alden-qc-would-you-be-happy-with-receiving-this-pair-of-shoes
10rk3es.jpg

post #1

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of the people on the thread don't seem like they wear dress balmorals all that often. I own the 9016 in black, and they have quickly become one of my favorite pair.

Agreed … not much love here for balmorals, especially black cap toe bals … even less for black calf cap toe bals.

Nonetheless, I recently placed an order for a pair of the 907s :slayer:. I'm sure most here would scoff, but I'm really excited to add this classic to my rotation.

You're likely correct. I've been trying to sell my 9015s for weeks, and no one has even attempted to buy them. I figured a #8 pair in 9D and really good condition would have gone like hotcakes.

Is that the pair I've been watching on eBay? I really love those and have been tempted. It's a great shoe and I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon. Good luck!!

Today…

tampatravel

Reaction score
Today I received my Brooks Brothers PTBs in #8. They were a find off eBay and although you can't see it in the before pics, they had a HUGE stain on the side od them. These were sent in on Jan 16th. Received them today March 11. They're basically taking 7 weeks door to door. I'm very pleased with the job done.

Before:

FYI: The cost to do a refurb with Alden is $165 as of now (going up after March 2014)

Alden will send you a bag for you to send your shoes in, just request a bag @ [email protected]

Directly off the Alden Website:

The Goodyear-Welt construction of Alden shoes provides the best in comfort, support, and wearability. This construction is designed to allow rebuilding, but the process requires the utmost in skillful craftsmanship and shoemaking experience.

We are proud to offer our factory Restoration Service Kit, including a convenient, prepaid mailer. Your Alden shoes will receive an expert rebuilding including all necessary repairs, using original materials carefully handworked on the original lasts. We will refinish them by hand, and return them with Alden cedar shoe trees and cloth bags.

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
Leffot was carrying this City Moc in Chromexcel last year but I missed my size and, as of now, they don't plan on restocking. I'm wondering, has anyone seen it pop up anywhere else? It still strikes me as the perfect casual shoe.

You can get the CXL NST from ShoeMart.

Edit: Looks like someone else beat me to the punch, ha

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Were they 10Ds from Alden DC? I tried them on and noticed the color difference right away. They didn't know what to say about them, but was also surprised by the color difference. The right shoe also felt quite a bit larger, more like a 10.5D than a 10D to me. Makes sense why she still had them...

-Mike

GooseG

Reaction score

Agreed … not much love here for balmorals, especially black cap toe bals … even less for black calf cap toe bals.

Nonetheless, I recently placed an order for a pair of the 907s :slayer:. I'm sure most here would scoff, but I'm really excited to add this classic to my rotation.
Is that the pair I've been watching on eBay? I really love those and have been tempted. It's a great shoe and I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon. Good luck!!

Today…

Yes sir, if the location matches my own.

You don't think my asking price is unfair, do you?

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Were they 10Ds from Alden DC? I tried them on and noticed the color difference right away. They didn't know what to say about them, but was also surprised by the color difference. The right shoe also felt quite a bit larger, more like a 10.5D than a 10D to me. Makes sense why she still had them...

-Mike

And yes, that's the pair. Quite a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads