• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

This may sound crazy but I finally un-boxed my Whiskey PTBs purchased from Alden SF 2+ months ago. Was going to try them on but they forgot to include laces. Comparison shot to a pair of year old Whiskey LHS.
Those are two very nice pairs of Alden Whiskey. Do you have any other pairs of Alden's? Most retailers toss in extra laces when you buy shoes. Otherwise call the buys at SF and they will square you away quickly. -Mike

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$950 indy are also harder to purchase and sell

Plaza Indy for a day in DC...

-Mike

Love these would love a pair

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up mdubs, I was mistaken

Last edited:

theinsanemao

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while and finally decided I might have something to add to the conversation!

A couple of weeks ago I ordered the 974 and 975 from a place in Chicago. They didn't carry wide sizes in store and put in special orders for me. I ordered both in 8.5E.

Honestly, I thought these bad boys would be coming this week, but after calling and confirming I found out the 974 is 4 weeks out and the 975 is 12 weeks out! Luckily the salesperson was awesome and said he could send out a 975 so I can compare the two in person.

Considering they are both in the same size and the same color, the only reason I could come up with the gap in production time is how much more popular the 975 is. Any differences in opinion are more than welcome.

Cheers!

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. LS used to sell the same model just a few years ago in the $600 range.
The $800 price* is a bit misleading because they were shipped from The Netherlands, included trees (I think this is standard for Frans Boone, but the price is likely slightly higher than it would be otherwise), and might have a different price from what an Alden retailer in the US would charge. * Come to think of it, the price with shipping is 627.48 Euros = $869.88. Is this wrong mdubs?

Last edited:

dslonghorn4

Reaction score
dslonghorn, those are some smokin whiskey ptbs. i needs me some of those.

and your whiskey lhs have made me very excited about tomorrow, sometime during which my whiskey loafers are supposed to arrive. I hope they have the same consistent color yours appear to have.

Those are two very nice pairs of Alden Whiskey. Do you have any other pairs of Alden's? Most retailers toss in extra laces when you buy shoes. Otherwise call the buys at SF and they will square you away quickly.

-Mike

Thanks doc and dubs. I own a few pairs of Aldens. Laces should be on their way soon from Alden SF (thanks for the tip).

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even still, tough (expensive) pill to swallow, with or without $30 trees.

Agreed, $800 is a lot to spend on shoes, but it's an easier pill to swallow if you know you love them and will wear them a lot. For instance, I'd strongly prefer a #8 Plaza Indy to both some (1) stock models like tassels and full strap pennies that are ~$150 less than the boots in question and (2) models that are similar to the Plaza Indys in their price and rarity like, say, a whiskey monk. Of course, I appreciate these models, but I know they wouldn't get as much wear as these boots, so one could argue that they're more expensive in a way. This isn't a profound observation and it has likely been made before, but once you're in this game, I think it's important to know what styles you're willing to spend extra on.

Then again, considering how extensive mdubs' collection is, the above might not apply to him much. :slayer:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot tankers are gonna set ya back like $750 and that is before shipping and tax, if applicable. A color 8 Indy runs around $710 plus all that. $870 for the plaza last color 8 boot from Fransboone? The difference is not that much. You're buying that boot for the long haul. The premium really doesn't warrant a huge fuss if that is the boot you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads