• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My second favorite pair of Aldens in my closet...though I still need to take these to B. Nelson for some steel toe taps...
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif
These are great. I really want to own a pair of #8 or cigar cap toe bals. But at least for now, I rarely wear a suit or even a sport coat due to my casual work environment, so I don't think they'd easily work into my rotation. I suppose the practical answer is: "well, should you find yourself wearing suits/sport coats more regularly in the future, then consider picking up a pair at that time." Agreed?...or is someone going to be an enabler?
2210's today. Love this shoe
A year ago, I didn't get this style. Now, I love it.
Ravello PTB
One of my personal favorites.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes, but why not have one of them in color 8?

Because neither of those models (J Crew Cadet and Leffot LWB w/flat welt) come in color 8.
[Sorry if this has already been said, I've been out a couple of days and just now catching up]

GooseG

Reaction score

These are great.

I really want to own a pair of #8 or cigar cap toe bals. But at least for now, I rarely wear a suit or even a sport coat due to my casual work environment, so I don't think they'd easily work into my rotation. I suppose the practical answer is: "well, should you find yourself wearing suits/sport coats more regularly in the future, then consider picking up a pair at that time." Agreed?...or is someone going to be an enabler?
A year ago, I didn't get this style. Now, I love it.
One of my personal favorites.

I wore my perf captoes with slacks and dress shirts at work. It's not as formal as you might think.

If it was a plain toe or straight cap, I'd think twice about it.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Makes me real nervous ordering from J Crew. There is always a fair chance for such thing to happen when the retailer has a liberal return policy.

JCrew should cover that shipping - someone dumped a return or stollen goods on JCrew which became mixed in. Someone else is or will soon experience the same issue as you have.

To Resistant and RobinM: to their credit, J. Crew customer service was outstanding. The phone rep found another pair in my size in a retail store in about 3 minutes, waived overnight shipping, immediately refunded the "bad" pair and processed the charge for the new ones, and told me to send back the bad pair soon. Nice way to make it right.

To complicate maters,
Which color did u like better? Left or right?

Right, I think, but honestly something in the middle of the two is what I was picturing from all the photos I've seen online. The right is almost too dark, and the left too reddish/light.

My guess is that the left shoe was the display model and naturally lightened from exposure to the store lighting.

That's a good guess.

dslonghorn4

Reaction score
This may sound crazy but I finally un-boxed my Whiskey PTBs purchased from Alden SF 2+ months ago. Was going to try them on but they forgot to include laces. Comparison shot to a pair of year old Whiskey LHS.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased three Alden for J Crew pairs and have never had any issues. I suspect the majority of Alden for J Crew purchases have gone without drama, but I may be incorrect.

Vicious49

Reaction score
The shoes look outstanding in that photo. That said, wingtips and longwings aren't for everyone. I know some well dressed people that, while acknowledging that my shoes look good on me, would never really wear Aldens because they don't think are sleek enough of whatever.

I actually do like wingtips. I think a lot of the hesitancy for me is that I'm trying to get away from leather soles and trying to acquire stuff that would work in rain as well.

What's your size, Vicious?
mwink[1].gif

In Barrie it's 8.5D

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes sir, if the location matches my own.

You don't think my asking price is unfair, do you?

I'm not an Alden eBay aficionado, so I can't really speak to the competitiveness of your pricing on eBay. For me, the pricing is to close to what I could potentially get from the BB Corp sale for a similar model, "unworn" and returnable … that is if they ever get a restock. They may have more wear, but I think Sazon/Uncle Mac is selling the same model in 8.5C for $342 … now that's a steal! If I were a half size smaller or had a narrower foot, I'd be all over them.

It all comes down to how quickly you need to move them vs how much of a hit you're willing to take. Good luck!!

GooseG

Reaction score

I'm not an Alden eBay aficionado, so I can't really speak to the competitiveness of your pricing on eBay. For me, the pricing is to close to what I could potentially get from the BB Corp sale for a similar model, "unworn" and returnable … that is if they ever get a restock. They may have more wear, but I think Sazon/Uncle Mac is selling the same model in 8.5C for $342 … now that's a steal! If I were a half size smaller or had a narrower foot, I'd be all over them.

It all comes down to how quickly you need to move them vs how much of a hit you're willing to take. Good luck!!

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback.

My reasoning was mostly due to the fact that these shoes are nearly 700 new, I'm eating shipping, and even the heels haven't really worn yet.

Not really in a hurry to move them, but they're never going to fit right.

docalden2013

Reaction score
This may sound crazy but I finally un-boxed my Whiskey PTBs purchased from Alden SF 2+ months ago. Was going to try them on but they forgot to include laces. Comparison shot to a pair of year old Whiskey LHS.

dslonghorn, those are some smokin whiskey ptbs. i needs me some of those.

and your whiskey lhs have made me very excited about tomorrow, sometime during which my whiskey loafers are supposed to arrive. I hope they have the same consistent color yours appear to have.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also agree that it's tough to beat Mac collection pricing. But those are being sold off of a large collection and that's a really uncommon size, so I'm not sure if it's basic economics at work.

Agreed. I also should have added that those have been discounted even more … I think they were closer to your price when they first posted them. Like I said earlier, you'll find a buyer soon. Cheers!

Carson

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get my second pair of Alden's - looking for an Indy boot but want something different than the standard 403/405 offerings.

At the moment looking at the Tobacco Chamois Indy from Shoe Mart, but also possibly the AF108 black calf from Alden of Carmel. I guess I am leaning toward the chamois because I want to be a little rough with this one if need be. The AF108, does look pretty striking in all black calf, and dressier, though.

Anyone have either and have any strong feelings on the subject or better ideas?

Thanks

(My first pair of Alden's, purchased a few weeks ago, was a pair of #8 shell Indy boots, and I like the trubalance last so much - it feels like the first last that has been really comfortable for my foot - that I am determined to get another one. I have a solid collection of Tricker's, none of which fit ideally, but I am seemingly sliding over into the Alden camp….)

Vicious49

Reaction score
I also agree that it's tough to beat Mac collection pricing. But those are being sold off of a large collection and that's a really uncommon size, so I'm not sure if it's basic economics at work.

The C widths don't sell nearly as well when it comes to resale as a standard D. If Mac were selling 8.5D, most of them would have already been scooped up by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads