• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will email her when my wife and kid go to sleep. Let's get this tanker done. While we're at it, maybe someone with a connection to the nice folks at Harrison Ltd should see if a cigar tanker could happen. I bought a nice pair of cigar tassels from them in 2014, so maybe their next cigar batch could be a Barrie on commando tanker.
My wallet is open. But no Vibram Lug Sole for me.

I'd go Trubalance commando or a sleek Vibram 705 half sole, leather slip and Vibram heel.

I bet Alden has never done that combo.

Antique edging and welt?

Is there such a think as a green edge treatment?

Either would be sick!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

AMD500

Reaction score
Yes. And Yenni has one coming for next fall but it's a PCT and not a tanker. Leffot did it as a wingtip boot. Was glorious.

But I'd prefer a tanker if that's an option.
I have been hoping that Leffot wingtip boot would pop up on eBay or BS in a 9D or 9E "Glorious" is the right word, though the Barrie last always leaves me a bit cold.

I often daydream about reverse chamois wingtip boots and have come to the conclusion that my ultimate Alden would be a wingtip boot in:

Green or earth reverse chamois
flat black welt w/ commando sole
brass eyelets, 8 not 9, because I get to be picky in my daydreams
on GRANT or HAMPTON last.
wow.gif

I believe this would the perfect High/low boot. I'll keep dreaming

Hope everyone has a most excellent new year's.

clementFR

Reaction score
Staying fancy for the last day of this (crappy) year.
Frans Boone Parajumpers in #8.

If anyone in 2017 wants to sell size 6.5 or 7 shoes, think of me :)

Have an excellent week-end !

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So experiment time.
Day 0 (preowned PCT)

Day 1 (stripped [RenoMat x 3], conditioned [VSC], and brushed)

I am looking forward to seeing the natural patina progress....
(edit: The idea is to strip them and limit aftercare. This is the last real heavy finishing work I will perform for a long while. I expected the RenoMat to leave a more matte finish. The VSC happens to bring out the shine after the RenoMat. )

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for some reason it seems a lot more of the top of my foot shows on the ones I tried. Probably the shape of my shoes...I also seemed to have bulging on the sides right last the strap...my guess is shape of my foot...I am going to try a different width and size when opportunity presents.

The full strap has a lower vamp. These are the LHS which has a higher "rise"

Thanks...that makes sense to me now. I have been so boot heavy buying the last few years that i never have learned much about the loafers.

AMD500

Reaction score
So experiment time.
Day 0 (preowned PCT)

I am looking forward to seeing the natural patina progress....
(edit: The idea is to strip them and limit aftercare. This is the last real heavy finishing work I will perform for a long while. I expected the RenoMat to leave a more matte finish. The VSC happens to bring out the shine after the RenoMat. )
interesting experiment. Is the goal quick fading?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty sure union made did a hunting green tanker a year ago. or it could have been an indy. whatever it was, i lusted after it...
Riiiggghhtt, flat welt, commando, and speed hooks would make it damn near perfect. https://unionmadegoods.com/product/...an-front-boot-in-hunting-green-suede-40200-2/
lol...and those changes would ruin it for me....i just wish the union made had been on commando. They are beautiful though for sure.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Staying fancy for the last day of this (crappy) year. Frans Boone Parajumpers in #8.
If anyone in 2017 wants to sell size 6.5 or 7 shoes, think of me :) Have an excellent week-end !
Your Frans Boone Cap Toe Boots look great. Hope that you have a better 2017 as well!
So experiment time. Day 0 (preowned PCT)
I am looking forward to seeing the natural patina progress.... (edit: The idea is to strip them and limit aftercare. This is the last real heavy finishing work I will perform for a long while. I expected the RenoMat to leave a more matte finish. The VSC happens to bring out the shine after the RenoMat. )
Those look lovely BK and I am looking forward to see how they age as well in 2017 and beyond.
Rainy day boot ready for a market run.
We have been getting a decent amount of rain here as well. I wore Cigar LHSes and had to take them off when we got home from breakfast due to rain. Yours are looking good and hope that you have a good New Years! -Mike

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting experiment. Is the goal quick fading?
Not so much quick fading, but more the natural patina of the leather without the protection of the Alden Acrylic. (and the added variable of me not shining them as much)
It's a slight acceleration from the lack of said acrylic.
All a theory, of course... Time will tell.

Your Frans Boone Cap Toe Boots look great. Hope that you have a better 2017 as well!
Those look lovely BK and I am looking forward to see how they age as well in 2017 and beyond.
We have been getting a decent amount of rain here as well. I wore Cigar LHSes and had to take them off when we got home from breakfast due to rain. Yours are looking good and hope that you have a good New Years!

-Mike
Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads