• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

odessaboots

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever experienced a "clicking" sound when their heel strikes? My left brown CXL PTB is experiencing a slight noise that is not shared by the other foot. I have ruled out a nail sticking out, but I just cannot seem to figure out where the sound is coming from. This all being said, I cannot feel anything when I walk, so unless it is something very serious I would probably wait until resole time to address it, but I'm just curious...

Thanks!

ChristopherBerr

Reaction score
Completely agree. The toes are what wear out the absolute fastest on all my shoes... Gotta love NYC streets.

Steel plates and a bi-weekly application of Obenauf's LP are what I find to really extend the time between re-soling.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Gilbert shipped out my snuff wingtip plaza bluchers a couple of days ago. Friday arrival time...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are very attractive and underrated by all of those who lust for boots and special order makeups.  I would love to see these in other colors of shell as well. 
Do you find the metal toe plates improve the longevity?

Most of the people on the thread don't seem like they wear dress balmorals all that often. I own the 9016 in black, and they have quickly become one of my favorite pair.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try again: I got a pair of 975s in Color 8 from J. Crew. The shoes were two completely different colors from each other; left was 4-5 shades lighter than right. Has anyone experienced this kind of quality-control issue with Alden before? I'm obviously sending them back but I'm more than a bit surprised that they managed to get out of the factory.

Last edited:

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I'll try again: I got a pair of 975s in Color 8 from J. Crew. The shoes were two completely different colors from each other; left was 4-5 shades lighter than right. Has anyone experienced this kind of quality-control issue with Alden before? I'm obviously sending them back but I'm more than a bit surprised that they managed to get out of the factory.
That's pretty noticeable. On a shoe like the 975 which is regularly available, I would send them back right away.

hoobahans

Reaction score

You received those together? One of them was not made for J crew... Perhaps someone else returned them but switched out one shoe from a different pair.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
[/spoiler]

That's pretty noticeable. On a shoe like the 975 which is regularly available, I would send them back right away.

J. Crew is overnighting a new pair, but they aren't available that widely. They were sold out in my size for online orders and had to be brought in from a retail store. I got them from J. Crew with the 20% discount, but if the next pair I get isn't a good one, I'm going to order from someone else and eat the extra cost.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They were not intended matches to begin with, one says J Crew inside and the other does not.

Edit: Glad they are sending a new pair, I assume they will be much better.

Last edited:

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Mayb
You received those together? One of them was not made for J crew... Perhaps someone else returned them but switched out one shoe from a different pair.

Yep, got 'em last night. They're my 1st pair of Alden and my first pair of shell, so I was SO excited.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
They were not intended matches to begin with, one says J Crew inside and the other does not.
Well that certainly explains it a bit. Which one SHOULD they look like? I assumed they'd look more like the right...a darker/richer, more eggplant-y burgundy.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. I've had different colors, but nothing that severe. Your left shoe is also missing the insole jcrew stamp. I have 2 or 3 jcrew alden pairs, each shoe has the jcrew stamp. Perhaps another indication these don't belong together. Lucky for you this didn't happen w a more obscure model. They should be able to send you a new pair.

Resistant

Reaction score
JCrew should cover that shipping - someone dumped a return or stollen goods on JCrew which became mixed in. Someone else is or will soon experience the same issue as you have.

Nullson

Reaction score
If anyone would like Navy tanker boots like the Aldens below.
There is a Navy shell cordovan tanker boots GMTO offered by Steve from Gentlemen's footwear.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't think you posted a pic on the original post, which is why I didn't comment, but oh my, these are bad. As others have noted, two different shoes. Glad JCrew is making it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads