• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still trying to decide if I want to keep these or not.

The shoes look outstanding in that photo. That said, wingtips and longwings aren't for everyone. I know some well dressed people that, while acknowledging that my shoes look good on me, would never really wear Aldens because they don't think are sleek enough of whatever.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^ I'm fairly certain The Shoe Mart has something similar.

Thanks for the tip, and indeed they do! The only big difference I see is that these have split toes - rats - I have an aversion to split toe and it looks like I might need to get therapy and get over it. From here:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your size, Vicious?
mwink[1].gif

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Waiting for BART in Ravello LWBs

Man, those are gorgeous. I just picked up some ravello longwings from a fellow SF'er and while I am happy with them, they are a different shade. There seem to be so many different shades of ravello these days, but yours are at the top of the list.

halcyon725

Reaction score
The irregular 9751 LWB's I ordered from ShoeMart didn't come through - they had an inventory error. A little bummed, but the hunt continues.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

At the moment, the main thing is I'm worried about my pinky toes. That being said, I think they are still a bit sore from rubbing against the Hampton last shortwings I was wearing yesterday so I might have to give these a shot again in a few days.

I'm liking them a bit more now that it's light out and I can see more of the color but you are right. If I don't love them, they will be going back.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm hemming and hawing about keeping mine as well. I LOVE them, but I was planning on saving up a while before I bought them. Plus I have a pair of brown shell shortwings, so I don't NEED them. Have to see how the old tax refund shapes up.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My second favorite pair of Aldens in my closet...though I still need to take these to B. Nelson for some steel toe taps...
musicboohoo[1].gif
These are very attractive and underrated by all of those who lust for boots and special order makeups. I would love to see these in other colors of shell as well.
Do you find the metal toe plates improve the longevity?

gsgleason

Reaction score

JCrew was able to find a #8 shell LWB in my size at one of their retail stores and had it shipped to me. They just arrived today but I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm not as big on them as everyone else seems to be so I'm thinking of returning them. I'll have to reassess them in the daylight.

I was wondering though if they don't put brass eyelets on these? They just have the hole for the shoelace to go through with nothing around it. Couldn't that over time cause wear and enlarge the holes? I can't recall having a pair of Aldens before that didn't have brass eyelets on them. 

Just because there aren't exposed eyelets doesn't mean they aren't internal. It's an interesting observation, though.

Thus far I haven't had an issue with either of mine.

docalden2013

Reaction score
PSA to anyone seeking the snuff suede wt boot on Barrie w/ commando from JGilbert: Yenni has just started shipping out to folks who were on the preorder. Not sure exactly which sizes remain, but worth calling if you were interested.

Kwaker

Reaction score

Just because there aren't exposed eyelets doesn't mean they aren't internal. It's an interesting observation, though.

Thus far I haven't had an issue with either of mine.

Are you referring to blind-eyelets?

My 975 and 9016 do not have them (but all of my Florsheims do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads