• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I heartily dispute this. How is playing against one person on one day more skillful than playing against everyone, every day?

You always bring out this tired ass argument, and you are always wrong.

With H2H you see things like we saw in football this year, where people with mediocre teams finished ahead of people who outscored them by a significant amount*, just because of the fact that the W/L column said they were better. Head to head is the luck of the draw every week, and relies much less on the merit of your "skill" than a pure top points league. Head to head is for people who rely on luck, not skill.

*and yes, I am talking about myself. I really shouldn't have finished sixth or whatever I ended up at. I caught a good string of luck. I had like the fourth fewest points out of anyone in the league at the end of the season or something like that. In a roto league, my "skill" would have landed me at number 8 or so, instead of number 6. And you would have beaten me.

Too bad, so sad. Didn't go down that way, did it?

Edit: scratch that, I just checked. I would have been 5th and you would have been second to last. Now I see why you want H2H. It covers up your woeful inadequacies as a fantasy sportsman, and levels the playing field, bringing everyone else down to your level and giving you a "chance to compete".
It's not like football bonehead. The season is three times as long, which evens out statistical anomalies that can occur in football. The scoring categories within each week are what determines who goes to the playoffs. More emphasis is placed on winning the statistical categories within that week against the opponent you're playing, and adjusting your team to compete against the strength or weaknesses of that person's team. Having so many scoring categories assures that more strategy needs to be used, which you would of course decry, being incapable of formulating any.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But that means you're supposed to study your opponent's particular strengths and weaknesses and try to adjust your lineup accordingly? I'm with Slim here.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yep... I'm calling bullshit...
The scoring categories within each week are what determines who goes to the playoffs. More emphasis is placed on winning the statistical categories within that week against the opponent you're playing

In roto, more emphasis is based on winning the statistical categories within the day/week/month/season against EVERYONE. What determines you going to the playoffs is the strength of the team you field over the course of an entire season, versus all the other people in your league. Not just one person. You've still yet to explain to me how beating ONE person at a time is harder or requires more "skill" than beating eleven people at a time. In reality, it isn't. You put your best players on the field every week in either case. If you don't - you are an idiot and deserve to lose.

Sorry Steve, H2H is a different flavor of game, and you may like it better, but it is in no way "harder" or "requires more skill". If anything H2H is easier to win than roto and luck plays a greater role.

Having so many scoring categories assures that more strategy needs to be used, which you would of course decry, being incapable of formulating any.

Also, dumbass, H2H has nothing to do with the amount of categories you are given points on. Head to head is a scheduling format. All it means is that instead of playing everyone, every week, you play one person at a time. THATS IT.

Points categories are not related. They can be anything we want, in either roto or h2h. The standard fantasy scoring system is 5x5. It is standard, because thats what most people use. Nearly all fantasy boards, cheat sheets, guidebooks, and resources will use 5x5 to rank their players.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
OK boys, you win and it doesn't matter.

I will still make Slim my *****.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That being said, I have no aversion to H2H, and I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference.

I will compile the suggestions we have so far later on tonight, as well as look into open draft slots.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That being said, I have no aversion to H2H, and I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference.

plain.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
plain.gif

I mean, I have no aversion to it, if everyone decides thats what they want to do. I'd, of course, play roto if it were solely up to me. H2H is for old men, cripples, and hippies (evidently) I'm gonna beat someone's ass either way.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Maybe on the planet Xenu

I love how stubbornly ignorant you are. It's incredibly amusing.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hitters: 2B, 3B, R, H, AVG, SB, HR, RBI, OBP Pitchers: IP, W, L, SV, ERA, K/9, HLD, WHIP, QS
So far, this is what we got. Does anyone have a problem with this? The only thing I see is that there are no absolute negative categories for batters, but losses count absolutely against pitchers. For the sake of balance, I think we should count errors for batters. Currently, this is your roster. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL Anyone have a problem with this? We have live draft slots available (as of RIGHT NOW) on Sat. March 15th, and Sat. March 22. Let me know what TIME you want. Anything from 9AM to 5PM PST on the hour. Agree on a date and time amongst yourselves. Do it before the end of the day tomorrow. 11:30pm PST tomorrow, I will set a date and time so that we don't get completely jacked out of a decent draft spot. I will entertain absolutely no bitching about the time I select if I get no input.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The only thing I see is that there are no absolute negative categories for batters, but losses count absolutely against pitchers. For the sake of balance, I think we should count errors for batters.
Errors have nothing to do with batting. How about Ks instead?

Or just drop Ls.

Either day is good for me. Would prefer times before 3PM central, 1 PM Pacific.

Have we decided on H2H vs Roto?

Again, I'm willing to play roto if that's what others want.

Either way I will beat Slim like a red-headed stepchild.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Errors have nothing to do with batting. How about Ks instead?
Steve... Errors are a batting statistic in fantasy baseball, because batters are also fielders, but not pitchers. You are aware that stolen bases often have nothing to do with BATTING either. Seeing as how pinch runners often steal, but don't bat. Why even bother making a roster with players categorized by defensive position?(OF is not a batting position!) But you know this and are just being an idiot. K's would work too, but there are a lot more of them than losses. I was trying to be balanced. Which you would understand, if you weren't still high from the 70's.
Or just drop Ls.
I think this is just the best option.
Either day is good for me. Would prefer times before 3PM central, 1 PM Pacific.
I'd rather do it on the 22nd, since that will give the least amount of time before the season starts for there to be any spring training accidents that break my heart.
Have we decided on H2H vs Roto?
Nobody has come forward and implicitly stated that they want roto - so at the moment, we are still playing ****** league H2H.
Again, I'm willing to play roto if that's what others want.
How gracious of you.
plain.gif
I'm surprised, since you threw such a hissy fit about it like two pages ago...
Either way I will beat Slim like a red-headed stepchild.
Or I will beat you like a receding-hair-lined old geezer, who has delusions of being some sort of fantasy sports powerhouse, but has, so far, demonstrated only his impotence and inferiority in the face of Tokyo Slim's self-admitted fantasy mediocrity. I'm just glad to know that I'm still better than someone. I play with serious people who know what they are doing. It's always nice to come beat the hell out of Steve after coming in second to last or last every year against people with actual skill, and not just boasts.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B
Or just drop Ls.
I think this is just the best option.

Agreed.

Nobody has come forward and implicitly stated that they want roto - so at the moment, we are still playing ****** league H2H.

I think H2H brings way more fun (a different match-up each week = more personal and exciting) and unpredictability, which is a plus since the baseball season is drawn out and most owners would give up half way through if aportnoy dominates every single statistical category.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok...

I've had a request that we do the draft on the 15th, since that is the only sat. one of our teams can be there on a saturday.

I'm also open to sunday mornings, afternoons, and early evenings, but I'm one of them non-churchgoing heathen types. I don't expect everyone else to go to hell for a fantasy football draft. Please let me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads