• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer baseball cap

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Hello.
The cap is an accessory that I never used much, however I think it may well complete a casual/preppy summer look.
I want to buy two from polo, but I don't know which colors to choose.
Should I opt for the more versatile navy/beige colors, or more open colors like red?

m_5b8c8c5d6a0bb795fa3d0bcc.jpg
POLO_RALPH_LAUREN-CHINO_CLASSIC_SPORT_SMALL_PP_CAP-CLASSIC_WINE-1.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one of those colors will be fine. I don’t worry about baseball caps too much. I’ll leave the brand to you.

I prefer a soft sided baseball cap.

rwtc

Reaction score
The red cap may lead people to think you're a supporter of a certain politician at a quick glance.

This may or may not have the effect you desire.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Never thought of that.I regularly wear a red cap with my
college initial on the front when I go walking for exercise. Where
I live Trump supporters are about as common as Dodo birds.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going for a casual look with a baseball cap, why not for a baseball team? Or your university? It just seems silly to buy a polo branded hat instead. At least a real baseball cap has the advantage of being sincere, whereas this seems forced.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Hard to say without knowing your style. Navy and khaki are safe bets.

Should the color of the caps be a complement to the rest of the outfit and should the colors match?
For example. combine a white hat with white sneakers, or wear a neutral colored outfit with a red hat?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nix the pony.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Although I do wear baseball caps from time-to-time for nostalgia; either my college team; my Yankees cap (my favorite team) or my Red Sox cap (worn purely for irony (ofc no one knows it's supposed to be ironic but me)), I prefer an old linen driving cap that I've had for 7+ years now. It's worn-in nicely, so it doesn't look too dressy and its super duper comfortable, but it's just dressy enough that I wear it to work sometimes.

Other times, I reach for my straw hat, which is a bit cumbersome even with it being rollable and I can stuff it in my pocket or a bag.

I guess I am saying, skip the baseball cap and get a cap, although nothing wrong with a baseball cap, in my opinion.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
On a related note, does anyone know of a good place to get a baseball cap for larger heads (62-63). I know Lock sells them, but they are a bit more refined than what I am looking for. They don't need to be properly sized, but one-size-fits-all does not fit me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads