• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scent newbie question here- aren't you worried that your choice of cologne might be found unpleasant to some of those around you? I've always wanted to wear cologne/aftershave but haven't for this very reason... there seems so many people out there picky about scents (especially girls), that the possible advantage seems outweighed by the risk...

Or maybe there's some scents out there with universal appeal?

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scent newbie question here- aren't you worried that your choice of cologne might be found unpleasant to some of those around you? I've always wanted to wear cologne/aftershave but haven't for this very reason... there seems so many people out there picky about scents (especially girls), that the possible advantage seems outweighed by the risk...

Theres no such thing as scents with universal appeal, there are office safe scents. Generally clean soapy citrus scents almost akin to the kind of clean smell you get from laundry powder. These are hard pressed to offend anyone and usually settle pretty quick into a skin/low projection scent so for both those reasons considered work safe.

The main issue with cologne/perfume is just to be mindful of how much it projects, eg wearing Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille in the summer time is a dangerous affair as its already a projection monster, combined with heat, your colleagues will smell you at 50 paces. During cooler months though one spray to the chest under your shirt gives a very pleasant amount and level of projection. In a rush I have made the mistake before of doing one to the wrist and neck and was informed by a colleague (who previously complimented on it when worn with a light touch) that it was suffocating, off to the bathroom I went to wash where sprayed, I lived and learnt and the world kept spinning.

Ill take a light touch and a nice fragrance over being able to smell peoples personal body scent.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's always a risk that someone won't like what you're wearing. There's just no way around that. I have dealt with that problem mainly by not caring. If someone doesn't like the fragrance I'm wearing, they'll survive. The fact is, though, that I wear a lot of "challenging" fragrances, and it's hardly ever happened that someone expressed displeasure about it. In many years of daily fragrance wearing, I can think of maybe two or three occasions where someone said they didn't like what I was wearing. And as Osiris2012 said, it's important not to overspray. I think when people complain, that's usually what they're complaining about.

I am wearing Divine by Divine as my evening scent. It is a classic, somewhat old fashioned feminine white floral.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am wearing Divine by Divine as my evening scent. It is a classic, somewhat old fashioned feminine white floral.

There is a guy who sometimes talks to me. Today he found a pretext to come to my office and talk to me, but he stood much closer to me than he really had to. I wonder if he was trying to flirt? That would be flattering, even though I am not into guys in that way.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
SOTD is unintentional. Yesterday I wore Montale Full Incense, quite liberally I might add. I reused an undershirt 2 days later and it's still smelling loud and clear.

Later this evening I spilled some Jicky Parfum on my pants, mmmm, lovely.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is not where you want to spill Jicky parfum, as it will give people ideas you don't want them to have.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Musc Ravageur this morning. Nice wood-vanilla combo, but where does the musk factor in on this one?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today is a day of Chypre Palatin.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Santal 33.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When the time came to choose my eveningtime scent, I did choose Opium (the feminine).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads