• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: L'Occitane Eau de Vetyver - not just one of the best buys for vetiver fragrances, but one of the best vetivers available as well as one of the best bargains in perfumery. I've got a bottle from 2003 that is still half full, to my delight, and I must say that the juice currently available is just as good.

This evening: Tom of Finland. The juice in my bottle is quite dark and ambery compared to the photos I see online. Does anyone else have this stuff?

I tried the L'Occitane Vetyver a few days ago in a shop. Its got a snappy freshness to it that is very appealing. Will likely buy a bottle. And it is very fairly priced.

How do you like ToF? I don't have it so can't comment on your color Q

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How'stransparent blue?  enjoy most of the ALoF scents

Meh. Seemed very similar to a lot of 90s aquatic scents. I'm not a huge fan of aquatics so I don't have much to directly compare it too though. Not my thing.

Maquis

Reaction score

I have such good memories of both of those. I had an uncle who assembled bombs at a munitions factory who was a man of very few words - he wore Brut and his presence arises instantly when I smell it.

My Mother's Father was a welder who was a delightful story teller and used to feed me and my brothers great lies, for example he would show us the photo of the flag raising on Iwo Jima and tell us that he is the one reaching for the flag. He always wore Old Spice after he showered with LAVA SOAP!

Such good memories of good men in my life who are associated with these two fragrances.

Awesome story, HORNS! Thanks for sharing—

Yesterday: Chergui. Nice, but a little overhyped I think.

Today: Dunhill Blend 30. A nice mellow green smoky fougère. Not much like the much vaunted Patou Pour Homme (which is much spicier and not "green"), but really nice on its own terms. I don't think it smells dated, and it's certainly not a powerhouse fragrance (at least with my bottle—I had to put on something like 5 sprays just to really get into it....)

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: L'Occitane Eau de Vetyver - not just one of the best buys for vetiver fragrances, but one of the best vetivers available as well as one of the best bargains in perfumery. I've got a bottle from 2003 that is still half full, to my delight, and I must say that the juice currently available is just as good.

This evening: Tom of Finland. The juice in my bottle is quite dark and ambery compared to the photos I see online. Does anyone else have this stuff?

I tried the L'Occitane Vetyver a few days ago in a shop. Its got a snappy freshness to it that is very appealing. Will likely buy a bottle. And it is very fairly priced.

How do you like ToF? I don't have it so can't comment on your color Q

I like Tom of Finland a lot - it's a very comforting scent. Very complex balmy leather.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you mean by balmy?

I really need to get to the scent bar and try all the ELDO scents.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What do you mean by balmy?

I really need to get to the scent bar and try all the ELDO scents.

I mean it here as a descriptor for generalized resinous qualities that the fragrance has, but in a sweetened way - not like frankincense.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PdN New York for me today.

Also, I think Tom of Finland is fantastic. I agree with HORNS's description.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Took an afternoon shower: Rive Gauche Pour Homme

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eveningtime scent is Amber Oud. I'm ambivalent about Madagascar vanilla generally--and Amber Oud really has a strong dose of it--but the oud balances it very nicely.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This fine autumn morning I will be wearing amber, also.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Atelier's Ambre Nue. Hope the people sitting next to me on the airplane this morning like it, because I do!
And, should be home in time to see the Eagles go down in flames to the Broncos.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PdN New York for me today.

PdN NY is awesome. I was going to buy a bottle on parfum1 while they are running that 20% deal, only to find out they are not carrying NY right now, for some reason.

Found a decant of PdN PH to try out, too. Looking forward to that.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean it here as a descriptor for generalized resinous qualities that the fragrance has, but in a sweetened way - not like frankincense.

Ah ok. I thought that's what you meant, though I think the correct word is balsamic.

About Rive Gauche PH - I was in a Target the other day and there was a tester bottle of Drakkar Noir there. Almost unbelievably, I had never sniffed that one (knowingly at least - I'm sure I've smelled it on strangers). I had no idea how close it was to Rive Gauche PH. At least thats the impression I got. Is that a well known parallel that I'm just catching on to?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads