• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight, I sprayed on an old scent that instantly transported me back to the era of massive shoulder pads and big hairdo, when girls just want to have fun, and boy bands wear makeup and sport gelled spiky hair, singing about girls on film and some snake, a time when greed was good and Foster beer will rule the world.

Guilty: Drakkar Noir

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
seeking a rec of similar to Knize 10 but slightly less petroly, slightly more spicey.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giving Andy Tauer's une rose chyprée a go this evening. Seriously good juice.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seeking a rec of similar to Knize 10 but slightly less petroly, slightly more spicey.

Maybe ELDO Je Suis un Homme? It has the leather notes from Knize Ten, but isn't nearly as heavy and doesn't have the gas station smell that the opening of Knize does.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe ELDO Je Suis un Homme? It has the leather notes from Knize Ten, but isn't nearly as heavy and doesn't have the gas station smell that the opening of Knize does.

This is a good one, plus Cuir Ottoman as well as Cuir Mauresque.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I did wear M7, which is by Yves St. Laurent.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday pre-shower was Lush Dirty. Wife said it smelled like bug spray and I should wash it off. First time she's ever commented so negatively (on a fragrance
satisfied.gif
). Took a shower, applied PG Djhenne'. No complaints about that one! I like that frag a lot myself, but can't wear it at work. So its a weekender.

Today, hmmm, decisions decisions. Think I'll stick w PG and try Jardins de Krylos. Just got a sample of that recently.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOTD - Penhaligon's Sartoriale. Quite nice. fresh clean soapy, definitely refined and very wearable. Minimal sillage but good longevity.

Question - I own Reflection Man and MDCI Invasian Barbare... in my head I lump those two together with scents like APOM and Sartoriale, all based on a sort of white soapy floral powdery sort of combo... How would you guys describe the differences between these 4 and if I own the first two, is it redundant to have either of the last two? Any other rec's along these lines? (eg I own Rive Gauche PH but there's a stack of spices alongside the barbershop stuff so I don't put it with these guys)
"Minimal sillage but good longevity." This is the formula I look for in a scent for the office. I like to wear fragrance at the office, but don't want to be projecting much if at all.

Geranium Pour Monsieur is a bit in that green+floral+soap category. I don't care for excessive soapiness, but GPM is a winner. Have Sartorial on my Try list, also.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Master-Classter here - petit-grain is somewhat reminiscent of the floral neroli/orange flower smell, but with a leafy and stemmy component since it does indeed come from the leaves of the bitter orange tree. Any citrus leaf will remind you of that. It's used in classic Eau de Colognes and prominent in the mid notes.

Today: Dior Vetiver.

Is it the petit grain that accounts for the soapy note in Eau de Guerlain? I really like that cologne, and the soapy note in it is a plus, even though I generally dislike overly soapy frags.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely spring day called out for a classic scent so Creed GiT shall carry me through this sun filled day

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rose Nacree du Desert for me today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today went for some Lutens Fille en Auiguilers (sp?). warm honeyed pine. Eh, it's ok. Found it went to skin scent within 2-3 hours max. Just sold my bottle and kept a decant. Not missing it.

so funny story. I just got 10ml decants of MDCI Chypre Paladin and Ambre Topkapi. Already had a 1ml sample of Chypre. So what did I stupidly do? decided to add my sample to the bottle to top it off. And added the Chyre sample to the Ambre bottle... it's all good smelling juice, but 1ml out of 10ml is probably going to make it smell different. Of course I'll still wear it, but it'll be impossibly to decide to buy a bottle because it won't smell like what I've been wearing! Unless this'll become the new Breath of God?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Chypre Palatin is just amazing, IMO.

I've switched into Declaration d'un Soir for the evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics