• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
For me, today it's Parfum d'empire Cuir d'ottoman; it's something like a Diesel mechanic completely overhauls an engine while wearing Knize Ten.

I just read this and spit my coffee out. That's even better than turpentine and Dawn. I'm glad that mechanic smell is in there, cause the Knize Ten is a bit much for me.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I just read this and spit my coffee out. That's even better than turpentine and Dawn. I'm glad that mechanic smell is in there, cause the Knize Ten is a bit much for me.

I hope you didn't get any coffee on yourself.
wink.gif

Seriously, though, that's the only way I can describe it... it's definitely leather, but with a very greasy, oily, sharp mechanical smell on top. It's a sheer delight!

Parfum d'empire really does a wonderful job. Ambre russe is gorgeous, warm, and soft; Cuir d'ottoman is as described. It's a small company and not terribly well known, but they really do nice stuff.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18 Sept. I'm wearing Montale's Steam Aoud today!

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geesh, is this Aoud day or what? I wish I had received the memo.
confused.gif

I haven't worn this one for awhile and thought it's about time. You have an impressive fragrance wardrobe btw.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
19 Sept. Sticking with Montale. Today, it's going to be Blue Amber!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeez, after some blissful 70-degree mornings, I stroll out into moist blowtorch weather today. Ugh. So I picked something dry - Yatagan.

And, Cuir d'ottoman sounds like a blast, except for the Knize Ten business. I'm fairly flexible with my scents, but I gave my decant away to someone who might actually use it. Hated it with every fiber of my being. Arrrr!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
19 Sept. Sticking with Montale. Today, it's going to be Blue Amber!

It's hard to go wrong with Montale; they cost an arm and a leg, but they are unique/distinctive scents, made from excellent materials, and have great longevity.

The only non-Aouds I have from their line are Patchouli Leaves and Greyland (I've tried soleil Capri), but I've been anxious to try blue amber. How would you describe it?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this is Aoud week I thought I would participate.

Aoud_lime.jpg

Montale Aoud Lime. The bright citrus note provides a nice counterweight to the heavy aoud.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Since this is Aoud week I thought I would participate.

Aoud_lime.jpg

Montale Aoud Lime. The bright citrus note provides a nice counterweight to the heavy aoud.

Aoud Lime has been on my radar for the past few months. I haven't gotten a bottle yet, but I'm defintiely mulling it over... I think a lot of it depends on how much I like Tom Ford Extreme as to where my $150+ will go...

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to go wrong with Montale; they cost an arm and a leg, but they are unique/distinctive scents, made from excellent materials, and have great longevity.

The only non-Aouds I have from their line are Patchouli Leaves and Greyland (I've tried soleil Capri), but I've been anxious to try blue amber. How would you describe it?

I would describe it as a fragrance belonging in the 'Wood Oriental" catergory. It has hints of vanilla but the drydown is superb!
85876714.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In honor of Montale week, today it's Greyland for me. I've got some Fougeres Marine coming to me, so I'll give that a spin when it arrives.

35408.jpg

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the Aoud week continues today is Aoud Cuir d'Arabie's turn. A harmonious combination of aoud and leather.
Potent too supposedly as a couple sitting behind me on the bus got freaked out and moved to different seats. I just heard: "Oh my God it smells like...(could not hear).... doctor's office..(could not hear). I think the man in the couple was more freaked out than the wife. This happened about 10 minutes after application so maybe they smelled the medicinal/antispetic/band-aid note some people get initially.

Interestingly, they may have thought it just smelled funky in that part of the bus and did not think the well-dressed gentleman
bigstar[1].gif
in front of them had anything to do with that "disgusting" smell.

Aoud_Cuir_d_arabie.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads