1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

I am continuing my covert olfactory assault on unsuspecting NYC commuters with Montale Royal Auod today. It is gentler and sweeter than Aoud Cuir D'Arabie and so far I have not observed people running away from me screaming.

[​IMG]

2. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

I received a present yesterday and it came in a white box. It's Bond No. 9's Nouveau Bowary today! I'm still getting used to it--- it's suppose to have Indonesian Patchouli but not smelling it yet.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

yes, its a tie with CreedGITor MI
    and Dolce Gabanna PH gets a mention, I just don't wear it much anymore.
    Strangely enough, of all of my fragrances, it's always Terre that gets the most compliments. Creed... never. MPG or L'artisan... never. Montale... never. All of those cost two or three times as much as the Terre, but inevitably complete strangers will come up to me and tell me how good I smell with it on.

Unfortunately, it isn't personally one of my favorites, so I don't wear it that much (unless I'm going to an outdoor party or a meeting or something).

Do you get more compliments with Terre than with your other scents, designprof?

4. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

I mistakenly picked up a bottle of Au de Grey Flannel thinking it was the original. Tried it out today and it's much lighter/crisp. It's not bad at all, and will be using it as my work/school fragrance for a while. Even though the weather has dipped a lot lately, and it's probably much more of a spring/summer scent than an autumn scent.

5. designprofessor

You mean Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel?
    If so, I put some on the other day in a fit of nostalgia, my wife hated it immediately...ooops

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

Yes on it being Geoffrey Beene, but no on it being "Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel". I thought it was just Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel, and did not realize he came out with an "Geoffrey Beene Au De Grey Flannel" in the mid 90's which is a totally different scent. Not a bad scent, just very different.

I love the original Grey Flannel; the strong lavender/powder scent is somehow very romantically masculine, I've had a lot of positive comments on it. I'm surprised your wife hated it! It IS a strong distinct scent, though....but very classic.

7. Omega Man

Omega Man Well-Known Member

MPG - Racine for me today in the Great White North. Sunny and a bit humid, perfect for this scent IMHO.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Lutens Arabie for me today; a friend sent some to me saying it was just wonderful and so I thought I'd give it another try (didn't like it the first time). But, I'm having the same response I've had to nearly every Lutens... it's still just TOO much. I get dates and almonds and something syrupy... I feel like a rubbed a Danish all over myself.

If I can scour this stuff off before this evening, I've got Helmut Lang edc on deck.

9. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Lutens Arabie for me today; a friend sent some to me saying it was just wonderful and so I thought I'd give it another try (didn't like it the first time). But, I'm having the same response I've had to nearly every Lutens... it's still just TOO much. I get dates and almonds and something syrupy... I feel like a rubbed a Danish all over myself.
    (...)

[​IMG] Good one.

I'm going with L'Autre today, a Saturday morning at the office. Arrg.

10. designprofessor

sunny today, so its F Malle Bigarade Concentree -
    or as a reviewer on Basenotes put it, "cab driver eats an orange."

11. Maharlika

Jean Pascal pour Homme today. INterestesting because it's pouring rain right now in Los Angeles.

12. rherreid

rherreid Active Member

13. Maharlika

Sunday and it's a beautiful day! I'll be wearing Creed's Bois du Portugal:)

14. rach2jlc

Sunday and it's a beautiful day! I'll be wearing Creed's Bois du Portugal:)

Slept in this morning and so haven't spritzed yet. But, BdP sounds like an excellent idea! Put me down for that one, too!

Btw, have you ever tried the little-known Creed goodie Bois de Santal? It's really quite wonderful. I just wish it weren't so hard to find (I don't even think Creed puts it on their website).

15. hayzum

hayzum Well-Known Member

I never waste my Aoud on just anybody...

That is true but it is a special month hence the indulgence.

rach2jlc & Dmax which would you rate higher between the Black Aoud, Royal Aoud and Attar?

A pensive mood calls for something similar - Reflection Man.

16. Swann

Swann Well-Known Member

I am wearing Eau de Hermès, perfect for a nice, sunny autumn day imho.

17. rach2jlc

I am wearing Eau de Hermès, perfect for a nice, sunny autumn day imho.

I'm jealous; I used up the last of my Eau d'Hermes a few months back. It's really a wonderful scent and a true classic.

I decided to go mainstream today with Emporio Armani He White. This is one of my favorite "nonstinky" scents; it is fresh and crisp, but has the addition of white musk and something synthetic in there that makes it feel very 21st century. I don't like much Armani (except the fragrances from the Prive line, which are wonderful), but I do like some of the Emporio offerings.

Hayzum, I personally like the Black aoud, but they're all quite nice and it just depends on your mood. If you like something a little crisper/brighter, Aoud Lime is pretty neat as well.

18. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Since it's allegedly fall and all that, I'm going with a comfortable, non-threatening, sweater-weather scent: Hermes Rocabar. Makes me think of homemade fruitcake (heavy on the fruit, rum, and bourbon) and a fireplace, which is about right for the cool, crisp 71-degree morning today.

19. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, Rocabar has taken a turn towards Cuiron in the drydown. Never noticed this before. Wowsers! What a pleasant surprise! So much for hoarding my meager store of Cuiron.

20. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

Random grab from the sample box today produced 1.2ml spray of Caron L'Anarchiste. Not a fan so far. Smells of cloves, metal, musk and vetiver; with everything but the cloves having some sort of synthetic quality to it. I guess I like "warmer" stuff.