• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today I am sporting a sample of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It's a pleasant, slightly dry lemony-powdery old-school scent, in the vein of Eau Sauvage, except a bit softer and less astringent than ES. Pleasant, but not bottle-worthy, especially since most of the time I like my scents to have more of a kick-in-the-giblets quality. This is well-suited for the end-of-year company holiday party, as long as you're not the sort to tie mistletoe to your back belt loop.

Yeah, you don't strike me as an AdP sort of guy. You ought to try Eau d'hermes for something citrusy, old school, and that also stinks (in a good way!) Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fraiche Badiane would be another. Wow does that one ever stink (but also tries to be fresh!)

Or, what about good ole Kouros? For something fresh and powdery with kick, I think you'd do well with that one, too.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Yeah, you don't strike me as an AdP sort of guy. You ought to try Eau d'hermes for something citrusy, old school, and that also stinks (in a good way!) Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fraiche Badiane would be another. Wow does that one ever stink (but also tries to be fresh!)

Or, what about good ole Kouros? For something fresh and powdery with kick, I think you'd do well with that one, too.

I saw Kouros at the Mexico City Airport as we returned home in May, and didn't think to give it a whirl. I seem to think that Kouros and Antaeus are twins of a sort, but could be completely wrong on that one. Since I've got another two big bottles of Antaeus, I'll probably let that one slide until, oh, 2012.

Oh, I had an appalling moment this weekend. I was painting some bookcases with oil paint (Add that to the 'Never Again' list) and washed my brush out with turpentine. Then I used Dawn (original scent) to wash out the turpentine. After drying my brushes I took a whiff of my hands:

Creed Cuir de Russie.

Who knew?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Antaeus and Kouros aren't alike, IMO. Yes, they're both 80's power scents, but I think you could easily have both in your collection and not be worse off. Antaeus is soft and pleasant all around while Kouros kicks you in the face... but in the most pleasant way possible.

Also, Dmax, have you ever tried Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon? If you like Lutens, I think the Cartier would be up your alley as well (both have that deep, dark oriental quality, only that this Cartier isn't so heavy as to be unwearable... as is the case, I find, with many Lutens).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Strangely I'm getting spice from AdP. Kind of Nutmeg/Cinnamon. Weird.

As for Kouros, I'll have to wait a while, as I'm just now coming off a shaving soap acquisition binge and am also fixing to move to new digs. One more bottle (or jar) in the cabinet and I'll have some 'splaining to do.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

Also, Dmax, have you ever tried Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon? If you like Lutens, I think the Cartier would be up your alley as well (both have that deep, dark oriental quality, only that this Cartier isn't so heavy as to be unwearable... as is the case, I find, with many Lutens).

Have not tried the Cartier. Will keep an eye out for it.

Has anyone else tried the Tom Ford Private Blend line of fragrances? I think I liked Amber Absolute and maybe Bois Rouge. I will probably get to smell them again next month.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Czech and Speake's Special Edition "Cuba". Wonderful scent!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Have not tried the Cartier. Will keep an eye out for it.

Has anyone else tried the Tom Ford Private Blend line of fragrances? I think I liked Amber Absolute and maybe Bois Rouge. I will probably get to smell them again next month.

Yeah, definitely give it a try. I was really quite pleasantly surprised by it.

Haven't tried the private blend, but I definitely want to give a few of them a spin. A friend of mine has been telling me about Tabacco Vanille and says it's really something.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions
Today I wore Gaultier2.

Gaultier always does very interesting scents; unfortunately I associate the original Le Male with a certain undesirable character I knew who always wore it, but overall as a scent I find it quite unique.

My favorite Gaultier Puissance deux story is from Basenotes (a fragrance forum) where a new teenage member mentioned that he was worried about getting enough "projection" from his fragrances and so sprayed Gaultier 2 onto his body 40-60 times before leaving for the morning.

I could only imagine anyone being within 100 meters of this biological weapon! I would encourage you to wear less than 6 sprays of your Gaultier (one on each side of your neck, one on each wrist, and one on each inner-arm OR LESS).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hayzum
Montale Black Aoud

Ooh, very nice. Either you have cash to burn or today you have a meeting with someone you want to impress!
wink.gif
I never waste my Aoud on just anybody...

For me, today it's Parfum d'empire Cuir d'ottoman; it's something like a Diesel mechanic completely overhauls an engine while wearing Knize Ten.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, Creed Neroli Sauvage. Not sure why I'm feeling like an orange/celery combo today...

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fou d'Absinthe today. My second favourite from them, after MÃ
00a9.png
chant Loup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads