• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Heh, I've gone the opposite tack - While you gents are off wearing your hoity-toity niche aoud scents, I'm sporting Britney Spears' Desperation.

A true uni-sex scent, suitable for the prematurely over-the-hill masses sorting through their existential dilemmas. After the candy-floss scents of Curious and Fantasy, she comes through with a powerful statement of angst, combining a shrill bitter orange opening with a heavy castoreum/latex drydown to signify the frenzied grasping and ultimate resignation of a life in early decline. If Tchaiskovsky's Pathetique symphony had a smell, this would be it.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20th September-- Keeping up with the Montale week, I'm wearing Soleil de Capri.

Here's a photo of the Montale boutique in Paris I visited last year.

70644383.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me. No one called me out on yesterday's BS fragrance??? BS is exactly what it was, although I make no assurances that Ms. Spears or her representatives haven't cribbed my notes and have begun development on a new scent.

Today, it was in the upper 60's as I began my run, and started the day shaving with a soap titled "Autumn Spice" and it smelled better than any Yankee candle I have ever put nose to. The rich, spicy smell still lingers, and it was an easy choice to put the dry New West over it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^As a Yatagan man, I knew for a fact you weren't wearing Brittany Spears... whether or not the scent actually exists! For a Yatagan man to buy Brittany Spears would be like the Dalai Lama heading up the Southern Baptist Convention.

Anyway, it's Bond no. 9 Little Italy for me today. Montale week was fun, but it was time to move on (at least until my Fougere Marines gets here!)

The weather has turned hot again, and this one has the bitterest bitter orange on the market... great for giving a little punch when you sweat.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Terre D'Hermes

Strangely enough, of all of my fragrances, it's always Terre that gets the most compliments. Creed... never. MPG or L'artisan... never. Montale... never. All of those cost two or three times as much as the Terre, but inevitably complete strangers will come up to me and tell me how good I smell with it on.

Unfortunately, it isn't personally one of my favorites, so I don't wear it that much (unless I'm going to an outdoor party or a meeting or something).

Do you get more compliments with Terre than with your other scents, designprof?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^As a Yatagan man, I knew for a fact you weren't wearing Brittany Spears... whether or not the scent actually exists! For a Yatagan man to buy Brittany Spears would be like the Dalai Lama heading up the Southern Baptist Convention.

Well, you have me on that one. But, not even a chuckle?

And I've yet to figure out the rampant orange-mania that's rearing its head in these parts. I've got Eau d'orange Verte Concentree and boy is it bitter. I can't imagine anything being more bitter unless we're talking grapefruit. Maybe if I mix it with Rocabar it might develop some warmth. Speaking of, maybe I should have used Rocabar today. It certainly is Christmas weather around here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Well, you have me on that one. But, not even a chuckle?

And I've yet to figure out the rampant orange-mania that's rearing its head in these parts. I've got Eau d'orange Verte Concentree and boy is it bitter. I can't imagine anything being more bitter unless we're talking grapefruit. Maybe if I mix it with Rocabar it might develop some warmth. Speaking of, maybe I should have used Rocabar today. It certainly is Christmas weather around here.

Little Italy is bitter to the point of being almost acrid and unpleasant. I only wear it on hot, humid days when I sweat. For some reason, the bitterness gives a crispness when mixed with sweat that isn't wholly unpleasant. But, aside from those rare occasions, the Hermes is MUCH more versatile.

And, yes, I did chuckle at your Britney discussion. I just didn't want to post something TOO sarcastic on the off chance there actually was a Britney scent by that name.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Little Italy is bitter to the point of being almost acrid and unpleasant. I only wear it on hot, humid days when I sweat. For some reason, the bitterness gives a crispness when mixed with sweat that isn't wholly unpleasant. But, aside from those rare occasions, the Hermes is MUCH more versatile.

And, yes, I did chuckle at your Britney discussion. I just didn't want to post something TOO sarcastic on the off chance there actually was a Britney scent by that name.

Oh, I can't do unpleasant...
tounge.gif
Actually I had sampled the original EdV, but bought the concentree (blind) and like it so much less. Sprayed maybe twice, but it's such a tiny bottle and I bought it just for the free shipping... Waiting for something to happen - maybe it mellows out, maybe I layer it, maybe I learn to like it, who knows?

And as for ol' BS, well, that sort of truth Never gets spoken in the marketing world. That's the sort of thing that gets image people disappeared. Actually, if I were more timely with the pop culture references, I would have chosen "Paint a Vulgar Picture" by the Smiths instead of "Pathetique".

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am continuing my covert olfactory assault on unsuspecting NYC commuters with Montale Royal Auod today. It is gentler and sweeter than Aoud Cuir D'Arabie and so far I have not observed people running away from me screaming.

Royal_Oud.jpg

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a present yesterday and it came in a white box. It's Bond No. 9's Nouveau Bowary today! I'm still getting used to it--- it's suppose to have Indonesian Patchouli but not smelling it yet.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, its a tie with CreedGITor MI
and Dolce Gabanna PH gets a mention, I just don't wear it much anymore.
Strangely enough, of all of my fragrances, it's always Terre that gets the most compliments. Creed... never. MPG or L'artisan... never. Montale... never. All of those cost two or three times as much as the Terre, but inevitably complete strangers will come up to me and tell me how good I smell with it on.

Unfortunately, it isn't personally one of my favorites, so I don't wear it that much (unless I'm going to an outdoor party or a meeting or something).

Do you get more compliments with Terre than with your other scents, designprof?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mistakenly picked up a bottle of Au de Grey Flannel thinking it was the original. Tried it out today and it's much lighter/crisp. It's not bad at all, and will be using it as my work/school fragrance for a while. Even though the weather has dipped a lot lately, and it's probably much more of a spring/summer scent than an autumn scent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads